Do I need to re-flash for my shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need to re-flash for my shift kit?

I was wondering if one would need a re-flash
of their chip if you get a shift kit?
I have ATC2 engine code If I am not mistaken.
Any help apreciated.
Thanks,

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Sport
5.4L ORP s/c
Power everything
Ravin Z33 3" SI/SO Performance exhaust
Airforce One FIPK
Cold air induction (home made)
Superchip (ATC2)
Tinted windows (llumar film 5%)
G-Tech Pro
Vent Visors
Bug Deflector
Ford Duraliner
Ford Shoulder Pads
Pant savers
Ford Duraliner
Krown Rust proofed

Wish List: Headers, pulleys, TB spacers, E-Ram, Brush Guard, Roll Bars,
4" Body Lift, 3" Suspension Lift, 35" SuperSwampers.

Old 05-02-2001, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tweaker,

That depends on the shift kit, and if it has multiple levels of firmness, which level you install it on.

If you go too far raising line pressure with a shift kit, then you can get too-firm upshifts.

What we generally suggest is that if you want a real "musclecar" type of upshift, to just get a custom program update to your Superchip instead of mechanically modifying your transmission. Almost all of these transmissions are already capable of generating enough line pressure, it's just not being used in the *program* that controls the transmission's shift characteristics. In other words, it's basically a software issue instead of a hardware issue.

However, if you want to install a shift kit, then we suggest using a shift kit has multiple levels of firmness, and install it on it's lightest level first, as you can always go back in and open things up more, but if you go too far to begin with, you've got a problem. Transgo and I think Bauman both have multiple levels.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-03-2001, 09:06 AM
Thanks Mike,

I was looking at the Bauman kit,
somewhere around 100$ or so..
But how much would it cost me to have you
re-flash my chip so that I can get more
firmer shifts? And how do I know that I will
like the setting that you program my chip to
shift at? You see, this is kind of a hard thing to do.
If I would of known this before I would of had
you do this before I ordered it from you.
Ay any rate, let me know how much it would cost me
and how long I would be without a chip for, and
Ill send it off to you.

you can email me at f150@ottawa.com

ps. Also can you elaborate on how firm/soft
I can have the chip flashed for?
Thanks very much in advance.

Tweaker

Old 05-03-2001, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tweaker,

Excellent and very relevant questions!

With regards to price, we can't quote pricing here on the message boards, as the Webmaster here has always had a firm policy against that, which we support. So for exact pricing, please just shoot us a quick email if you don't mind, or if you'd like of course you can call us, whatever you prefer, with our thanks in advance for your understanding.

To answer your other questions, when you ask us to do a custom program to give increased shift firmness, it's done to *your* satisfaction, made as hard as you want them, up to the transmission's physical capabilities.

What we normally do is set it up so that on the 1-2 upshift at full-throttle, it will chirp the tires on most of these trucks. (It doesn't have enough power to do it on the 2-3) On part-throttle, we normally set it so that when you're driving conservatively, meaning light throttle at low speeds, the shifts don't snap your neck, but as you give it more and more throttle, it gets harder and harder. In other words, like what you have right now, only more so across the board. Meaning, the point at which it starts getting harder happens a bit sooner, and they'll be harder than what you have now from there on out, in direct response to how much throttle you give it.

Again, when we do a custom program for extra-firm shifting, it's done to *your* satisfaction. For example, if when you first get your Superchip back from us, if after using it you decide you still want even harder shifts, we'll be happy to continue cranking it up for you, up to the limits of your transmission's capabilities.

This is one of those subjective things that doesn't lend itself to being described via the written word very well, so perhaps we should talk over the phone just briefly about this, so I can give you some better verbal descriptions of what we can and cannot do program-wise, and what you should expect, etc., so you can give that some thought to help you decide whether you want to do this by installing a shift kit, or by having us do a custom program for you. We just want you to be happy, so whatever you decide is of course strictly up to you.

By the way, just to respond to one of your concerns, there is no financial "penalty" to anyone because they did a custom program as an update to their single-program Superchip later on, instead of doing it at time of purchase. The custom programming fee for the single-program Superchip is the same either way.

If you'd like to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over this with you in detail.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-04-2001, 08:34 AM
Ok Thanks Mike,
Ill give you a call sometime today if I get a chance.

Later,

Old 05-04-2001, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Anytime, Tweaker.

And if you can't call during our normal business hours for any reason, please just leave us a voicemail anytime 24 hrs., with a number and a good time to call you back.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Do I need to re-flash for my shift kit?