4.2L Superchip Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.2L Superchip Question?

I have a 1998 4.2L manual with 4.30 gears w/Auburn Pro, Open Element K&N Filter, and Off Road Exhaust. Is a custom chip required? I mainly use it to tow my racecar to the track but really want more power when I play around. Before I put the Filter in and modified the Airbox I took it to Moroso for a little testing and ran a 16.90 @ 78mph. What type of improvements should I expect? The truck was real REAL lazy at top end.

Thanks. Kevin.

Old 05-11-2001, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi hdeck,

Nice to see a V-6 F-150 with an Auburn in it!

No, you usually do not need a custom chip with those mods and a manual transmission, provided that your O2 sensors are still intact and in their correct location and you're not getting any check engine lights, etc. I don't know exactly what you mean by "Off Road Exhaust", whether that means the cats have been removed, or it's a cat-back aftermarket exhaust, a custom job, etc.

The 4.2 V-6 actually has a decent power output stock of 205 hp, but it's terribly weak below 2500 rpm. It's not a big rpm-winder either, and with those 4.30 gears, I'll bet, as you commented, it wouldn't pull very well on the top end either, until you reduced the restriction in the air intake tract, so I'm sure that probably helped it a bit when you opened the intake side up.

The maximum rated gains from the Superchip on the 4.2 V-6 are 25 hp & 31 lbs./ft. of torque; in round numbers, think of it as a 10%-12% power gainer, basically. In terms of 0-60 & 1/4 time improvements, it's usually anywhere from 3-5 tenths on average, in properly controlled back-to-back same day testing. Some have picked up a little bit more, but that's the average, anywhere from 3 to 5 tenths, usually.

That 16.9 is actually a pretty respectable time given that vehicle's configuration at that time & it's weight.

If you'd like to go over the details, etc., please feel free to give us a call, we'll be happy to go over all of that with you, if you like.

Best of luck this season with your race car,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-11-2001).]

Quick Reply: 4.2L Superchip Question?