HLP! are special gauges recquired with s-chip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HLP! are special gauges recquired with s-chip?

I have a '99 f-150 and want the s-chip. I was wondering if special gauges were needed to watch the temp. of the engine etc. My friend has a deisel with the chip and he had two special gauges for it, I did not know if it was because it was deisel or if it is because it is recommended. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2001, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't have to get any others gauges unless you want to. The only things I know of that the chip does is change timing, shift points(auto only), shifts are firmer, and the speed limiter is disabled.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, composite driveshaft, bore cylinders 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, get performance heads or port the ones I have, gauges for the a-pillar, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 05-11-2001, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi George,

As "King James" mentioned, no, you do not need any special gauges to use the Superchip.

In those Powerstroke diesels, we offer 3 different power levels, and for the 2 highest power levels, we do suggest using an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge to monitor that data, as those highest power level programs were designed for offroad and racing use *only*, and so they push the engine harder than the base program for that vehicle. That applies only to the Powerstroke diesel, and even then, that applies only to the "Offroad" or "Extreme" programs.

For our gasoline engine applications, including of course your 1999 F-150, no EGT or any other special gauges are required with the Superchip, so you won't have to deal with that unless you just decide you want to have some more gauges anyway.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: HLP! are special gauges recquired with s-chip?