Any possible conflict with Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any possible conflict with Superchip?

I just installed a cooler thermostat. I paid $7.85 for a lightning 180 degrees thermostat and so far no problems. My temp needle just barely touching the top of the thermometer icon. Any possible problem with this? especially with my Superchip since the engine might run rich most of the time?

------------------
2000 EXPEDITION 4.6 3.31 Rear, Poweraid Spacer, UltraFlow muffler, 6.8 inch TV with tuner/VCP, Full alarm and Auto-Start.

New Addition:

2001 F150 SUPERCAB 5.4L 3.55 LS, Airaid FIPK, Full alarm and auto-start, 50 series 3 chamber 3inch in/out Deltaflow Flowmaster
Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17), Billet antenna by TRENDZ, Daytime running lights(if I can get it to work), Lightning 180 degree thermostat, White face gauge insert with EL lighting, Custom stereo system currently in the works.

COMING SOON:
pulleys, remove cats, 2 inch drop all around.

Old 05-21-2001, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Newbie,

First, *THANK YOU* for asking about this! Sometimes people won't bother to check, and that can sometimes cause a problem.

In your case, that 180 degree thermostat will be OK in terms of we don't need to change anything in the program for that. That is the lowest you can go, by the way, before you start getting really negative consequences, so don't go any lower than 180 degrees.

Just so you'll know, you're not going to make any more power with that 180 degree thermostat, in fact, you will make a bit *less* peak engine power. Peak engine power (along with best mileage and lowest emissions) occurs at a coolent temperature of 190-200 degrees, which is why your factory thermostat was 194 (approx.), and is why race cars have their cooling systems configured to keep the motors coolant at about 200 degrees.

This wouldn't be something I would change myself, I prefer to use the factory thermostat for teh reasons stated above, but you can use that 180 without any real problems in most cases.

Good luck!
------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-21-2001).]

Quick Reply: Any possible conflict with Superchip?