Chip Install Note

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Chip Install Note

I just installed my chip last night and ran across one thing that does not appear in any of the install notes that came with the chip or any of the post I've seen. When taking out the computer be vary careful of the mounting plate that is secured to the cab wall. IT IS VARY SHARP! This is the plate with the lip that needs to bent down so it does not rub on the chip after installation. From what I have read not all the trucks have this plate with the lip. So if you have that kind be careful. Got a couple real good bleeders at that point. No problems other than that.

Well worth the money as everyone else has posted. I'm diggin' it.

Old 06-12-2001, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi samjluck,

Hmmm, come to think of it, you're right, we've never seen any comment on that ever posted here either, over the past few years, nor have we seen any of them be particularly sharp on any of the vehicles that have come thru here or on any of our vehicles, but there can always be variances, so thanks for pointing out that you ran into that!

The next time we do an update to our additional Performance Products documentation, we'll make mention of that.

Normally you just remove the bolt that holds that plate, or bracket, and remove it from the vehicle so you can either bend or trim that lip. Most of these vehicles have that bracket, or plate as you call it, but not all of that have that "lip", or "tab". For those that have it, yes, we do indeed advise removing it from the vehicle so you can get good access to that lip to either bend or trim it, so it cannot interfere.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, thanks for your post & your tip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 06-12-2001, 03:22 PM
Hey Mike,
I did have to remove the bracket to bend the tabs back for proper seating just like you said. The cuts came from wrestling out the black retainer clip and then removing the computer from the hole. I just wanted to add my two cents for anyone else who may be installing a chip in the future. Had I known that the bracket was vary sharp I would have taken more a little more care when removing the black retaining clip. As always, no scar, no foul.

Old 06-12-2001, 07:37 PM
I too had the same sort of bracket and had to remove it to bend the tab. After a few good little gashes I decided to put a few layers of black electrical tape over the edge before putting it back in. Never know when you'll have to wrestle that stupid clip for a service check!

------------------
2001 5.4 S Cab Lariat
ORP / 3.55 L/S
Class 3 Tow Package

Gibson SweptSide
K&N Gen 2 FIPK
Superchip FLIP CHIP
LoJack
Stock HU w/ Profile CL440 Amp
Infinity Kappas Front/Infinity Reference Rears. Sub is under construction!

Old 06-14-2001, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi samjluck & Helloe,

OK, understood & thanks for mentioning that, both you guys. We'll definitely put a note in our next update about that, & thanks again for the tip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Chip Install Note