Superchip "EGE1" computer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip "EGE1" computer replacement

I've been trying to sell my chip since I'm going to trade my truck in anyway. I haven't had anyone interested in the chip but I think it may be because my code is kinda rare. My question is, If someone with another 1998 F150 4.6L auto has a computer with a different code, say FOU1 or whatever, could I just swap the whole computer out between us? Would everything else work OK? Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to just give this to the dealership.

Old 06-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MD,

No, that isn't going to work either, the computers are not "interchangeable". The code has to match exactly, or the Superchip is not going to operate the vehicle correctly, and in most cases, it won't even start. Same thing with the computer itself.

There are a few cases in which a different code of ECU could potentially work, in the *exact* same identical in all aspects vehicle, but it is *very* rare, aand I doubt you'll ever see it happen, MD. 99 times out of 100, when a powertrain computer has to be replaced due to failure, it will be replaced with the exact same code, that is how it usually must be done.

What you'll want to remember is that these aren't just software differences between all these ECU's, there are *hardware* differences as well, pinouts, routing, etc., and you just can't interchange that.

Your code of EGE1 is fairly rare, and that Superchip is only going to work in another EGE1 vehicle, unless it is reprogrammed.

What you might want to think about is just keeping your Superchip if you're going to buy another Ford, as we can reprogram it to work in most other Fords, as long as the new vehicle is not a Powerstroke diesel or a V-10 gas engine, those takes a different type of module.

There is no reason whatsoever that you have to "just give this to the dealership", even if you don't find another EGE1-code owner to sell it to. The only reason you would ever just "give" it to your dealership is if you just decide to give it away. There is absolutely nothing forcing you or requiring you in any way to give that Superchip away to anyone, it belongs to *you*, and so that is all entirely up to you.

The dealership isn't going to give you a penny for it, so just take it out and keep it, and turn your truck in running on it's original factory program.

It may take you some time, but eventually you may find someone to purchase it from you, or sell it to someone at a price whre they can pay to have it reprogrammed and still get a bargain, etc.

If you'd like some suggestions, just give us a call, & best of luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 06-27-2001).]

Quick Reply: Superchip "EGE1" computer replacement