1714 Ordered today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1714 Ordered today

Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
ordered mine on monday and the "Big Brown Truck" just delivered it to my door......everything worked perfect and reprogramed my truck for 87 oct. today....only took maybe 10 mins. only real noticable change is the shifting is somewhat firmer and at a higher rpm.. truck feels alittle more "perky" i never really had a throtle lag with my truck so the responce seems the same there.....i did raise the rev. and speed limiters and will do the high perf. program when i run this tank out.....all in all i am happy with my purchase and would recomend this device to anyone with the new 04' ford..

Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Well when i called to order it i was at work and so much was goin on i went blank and forgot to ask questions almost forgot what mods i had on my truck when they asked

Anyway What kinda gains should i expect with the 1714 and considering my other mods installed......... And just ignore this if its the wrong place to ask or if i shoulda just SEARCHED

Crystal was helpful thow with questions i did ask

Last edited by Grunt; 09-25-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Grunt,

You have some of the same mods that we run on our 2004 3-valve 5.4 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 - the JBA headers, for example (which we are re-writing the documentation for as their install procedure we find unworkable in a number of the 2004's), and the Airaid intake kit - we have both of those as well as a number of other mods. Your Airaid intake & JBA headers will both be fine with the tuning in the 1714.

The Airaid is the only complete replacement air intake tract for the 2004 3-valve 5.4 that when installed properly, does not cause a lean condition *and* that actually adds significant power, by the way - excellent choice there. The main thing is making sure the gasket that goes on the Airaid's air handling tube where it seats on the throttle body is actually fully sealed & seated - both on the Airaid's air tube *and* all the way down to the ledge on the throttle body. Sometimes people just don't get that gasket quite 100% sealed/seated 100% on the air handling tube, and that will cause a lean condition with the MIL lighting up on the dash - just FYI.

In terms of the power gains from the 1714, using the premium gas performance tuning you'll see another 20 peak HP, and gains in the lower rpm ranges run over 24 HP. Now that is on a bone-stock truck using 93 octane - on 8 octane, the power gain is a good bit less - the range runs anywhere from about 8 hp to as much as 13 hp - that will vary a bit depending on which PCM revision the vehicle has.

One thing I should point out for everyone to remember is - DON'T attempt to evaluate ANY performance modification by the seat-of-the-pants feel - that's nothing more than guesswork in these heavy vehicles. Far too many people can't "feel" a 20 HP gain, or a half-second reduction in 1/4 mile times, especially in any vehicle weighing more than about 3600-3800 lbs or so. These F-150's are *very* heavy (our 2004 SuperCrew is 6200 lbs.), and another 20 peak HP isn't going to feel like much in the seat of the pants on such a heavy vehicle - some people won't "feel" it at all.

Anyone that wants to know what any performance mod actually did for the performance of their vehicle needs to do timed acceleration runs (on the same day), before and after the modification, to see just what the difference is in the 0-60 times, or 1/4 mile times, etc. That can be done quickly & easily using a G-Tech Pro unit, for example (they're on our web site in the Accessories section & very affordable). Or, for something that isn't nearly as accurate but still better than seat-of-the-pants, you can always just mark off a set distance on a side road, and see what speed the vehicle gets up to in that distance, before & after (do your runs within 30-60 minutes of each other to minimize the effect of temperature change thru the day). That's not nearly as accurate as getting the actual acceleration times, but again, it's better than seat-of-the-pants. Another option (not to condone street racing) is to line up against a friend of yours whose vehicle you have run against enough times before to know exactly how your vehicle performs against his - this is, of course, assuming your buddy hasn't done any further modifications to *his* vehicle. Anyway, that is one other informal, but far better than seat-of-the-pants way to get a feel for just what any performance mod really did - the 1714's an excellent part to do that kind of testing with, as it only takes a few minutes to go from stock to tuned, and back to stock again.

Anyway...didn't mean to get off on a tangent, & I hope that info helps.

Thanks for your order & enjoy your new 1714 Micro Tuner!

Old 09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Gtullous,

Thanks for your post.

BTW - that's a nice truck you have there, I wish our 2004 was either black or silver. We have the same vehicle, basically (SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 w/3-valve 5.4), only ours is whatever they call their light gold color for 2004. It's my wife's favorite color, but I'd sure like either silver to match our Lightning, or a beautiful black truck like you have.

Have fun & glad you're enjoying the 1714,

Old 09-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Thank You for your Responce Mike/Superchips

And i definatly got a spot were i try out all my Trucks/Cars many many times and see what everything does for me

Thx,
Grunt

p.s. lol i spent 10 mins makin sure i had the gasket sealed right on the airaid

Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 PM
mike

Mike, Just awaiting my trucks arrival here and already reading up on the mods thathave been done. The 1714 looks like something id like but Im wondering if you ship to the uk? If you dont do you know if its available over here?

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi UKFX4guy,

Sure, we ship to the U.K. via UPS (United Parcel Service - the big brown truck), no problem!

For international orders, your best bet is to give us a call at our number listed below if your schedule will permit with our time zone differences - otherwise, you can just order it right thru our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com

Congrats on your new 2004 truck, & hope it doesn't take too long to get there!

Quick Reply: 1714 Ordered today