What Mods Best Compliment the Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Mods Best Compliment the Tuners?

Just wondering which mods would compliment the 1714 the best?

Old 09-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Grunt,

The intake & exhaust mods are the first two best mods to compliment the tuning, and you already have those.
From there, I'd go on to things like our ignition upgrade, underdrive pulleys, and converting over to electric cooling fans.

Now if you are looking for best all-out 1/4 mile times, you might want to consider a set of 4.10 or even 4.30 gears to provide more torque multiplication & help launch and accelerate that heavy truck - but I would do that *only* if the best possible 1/4 mile ET's are desired & you're willing to spend what it takes, or if the vehicle has to do frequent heavy towing. Changing gears is darned expensive if it's a 4WD truck, but in a 2WD truck it's not too bad.

As always, feel free to give us a call to go over your plan of modifications, we'll be happy to advise you on what to do and perhaps even what *not* to do, depending on how you use the vehicle, etc.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 PM
can you put 4:10 gears in with a 1715 programmer? I have a 2WD and was considering doing the gear swap, then got the programmer, but i'm not sure if the gears would work with the tuner on a 97'?
Thanks

Old 09-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Delta17,

No prob. You can change rear gears. On a '97 you can't correct the speedo with the 1715 tuner. But, it's easy to do it. A small gear on the tail end of the tranny needs to be changed ( 10 minute job). The gear has to be bought from the Ford dealer. While your there ask the shop manager "how many teeth do I need on the new gear" and where, on the tranny, do I change it? Should be a piece of cake.

Good Luck,
Bill

Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 AM
wmcnally

thanks for the help, i cant wait to get those gears in!

Old 09-30-2004, 01:13 AM
I cant wait to install my 5.13 gears!!!

How hard is the underdrive pulley install on the new Ford? Did it on my Bullitt before and it was a pain!

Oh and thank you Troyer, I just bought the 1714 and AirRaid!!! Great service, I appreciate it and cant wait for it to get here!

~Colby

Old 10-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Delta17,

Bill's kind advice is right on the money - because you have a pre-1999 model, the speedometer cannot be recalibrated in the PCM's program - but it is very easy, just a quick change of the speedometer gear in the tailshaft of the tranny - cheap & easy!

For Bullitt4711,

That's off-topic for the Computer Chips section, but just briefly................

Installing our 2-piece underdrive pulley set is pretty easy, you just need to have and properly use a standard 3-jaw "pulley puller" for the crankshaft pulley of course, as the crank pulleys are pressed on. With the right tool (and if you don't have one, you can rent one for a few bucks) it's easy to do, but like anything, it must be done right - so you'll want to take your time when pressing the crank pulley off and pressing the new crank pulley on, just making sure you use the puller tool correctly. For a first-timer I'd say it's maybe an hour job to install our underdrive pulleys, tops. You do not need to change the length of the serpentine belt, either.

The main thing is to follow the instructions closely, as the new crankshaft pulley bolt we supply is only used to *start* the new crankshaft pulley on - you then remove our bolt, and put your *original* crankshaft pulley bolt in to tighten the new crankshaft pulley. that's really the only thing you need to be aware of, and that's covered in the docs. the water pump pulley is a snap, just 4 bolts to swap that pulley in just a few minutes.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2004, 02:13 AM
Thanks alot for the help! Will have a few more parts to order from you soon!

Old 10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome, Colby. These 2004 F-150's have a lot of room for improvement, and they need it with as heavy as they are!

Old 10-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello Mike, Really loving my 1714 tuner so far just installed the Hi perf tune havent drove it yet i really have some questions about the adjustments? Were does the Superchip adjusment set in with up or down with the other adjusments like shift pressure and stuff?

I read all these post and wonder if i shoulda went with another tuner were yall tune specifically just for me? I run my truck in the local mud drags were i need alotta low end and midrange and i wondering if i can adjust settings on my 1714 to help me out!!!

When doin underpullies gator belt be good time to do dual elctric fans as well?

Thx,
Grunt

Last edited by Grunt; 10-04-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey Mike, do you reccomend going with the stock shifting settings or playing with it. I like firm shifts, but with my hypertech on my 03 Screw, it felt like the tranny was being stressed by the shifts. Will this be the case with the 1714 on my 04?

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Grunt,

First, I'd suggest making use of what you already have - use the hi-performance tune in the 1714 if you want more power. For anyone who wants maximum power, whether it's at the drag strip or off-road, or just daily driving, always use the highest power program in the 1714. The 87 octane tuning does help throttle response nicely, but its raw HP gain is the smallest - the largest raw power gains come on the hi-performance premium gas tune, so *that* is the first thing to do to improve your performance - make use of what you already have.

All you need to do is what I've said before - for shift points & firmness levels in the 1714, just select the "Superchips" settings and you're done - that's it, there's nothing else to be done. Whether it's for drag racing on or off pavement, the 1714 Micro Tuner is just that simple. All you have to do is plug it in, select the hi-performance tune, set shift points & firmness levels to the "Superchips" settings and then just go enjoy it - that is what will get the best results. We had a hand in the tuning that is in the 1714 Micro Tuner, you've got a great performance tune there. Each and every individual 2004 F-150 gets it's own set of code-matched performance programs in the 1714 Micro Tuner - there are *hundreds* of programs in the 1714 Micro Tuner, not just 3 programs that all similar vehicles have to use. For example, just for the 3-valve 5.4's there are many dozens of different programs in there - a set of 3 for each & every different PCM revision Ford used! There is a set of 3 different tunes in there for each and every different PCM revision in the 2004 F-150, with every different engine, transmission, gear ratio, etc. (except the Lightnings, which get 2 different programs each instead of 3, since they are supercharged & already require the use of premium gas). So anyone that uses it gets tuning that was made specifically for their individual truck's exact PCM, that is something Superchips has always done.

There is no custom Micro Tuner for the 2004-2005 3-valve 5.4 F-150 yet - that exists today only for the 1996-2003 F-150's, and the 2004 Heritage models, which are the "old" body style - not the new body style 2004 like you & I own - that is what you've been reading about. The custom CAN flasher for the 2004 F-150 is being developed right now, but it's taking longer due to the fact that Ford once again changed the PCM in the F-150 for the 2005 models - and the custom Micro Tuner has to be compatible with the 2005's in addition to the 2004's prior to release.

Remember, your results are going to be commensurate with the amount & quality of the performance modifications performed and the weight of the vehicle. To get even *more* power (aside from needing to use the hi-performance tuning), you will need to do more modifications. As we discussed before, to best emphasize power and throttle response at any speed, engine rpm or throttle position, at this point with the mods you have already done, it's on to the underdrive pulleys & electric fans - and yes, I'd also install the Gatorback belt at that time, absolutely. That's a perfect time to do all 3 since you'll have plenty of room & some of the work is related, etc., so we usually do the e-fans, underdrive pulleys and the Gatorback belt all at the same time. Whenever you're ready to do that, just give us a call & we'll go over all of that with you.

For Bullitt4711,

As I've said many times with both the 1715 over the years, and now especially with the 1714 for the 2004's, we recommend just selecting the "Superchips" settings for both the shift points & firmness levels, and they'll be properly optimized and deliver the best results. That is not going to hurt the transmission - the reduced slippage generally helps to extend the service life of the friction materials, the bands & clutches inside the transmission. I've felt the Hypertech setup, and it's not particularly "linear" - it's not bad, we don't see it damaging transmissions - but I think you'll find Superchips a bit more "refined," perhaps. The Superchips settings certainly aren't going to "strain" the transmission - Superchips would be out of business pretty quick if they had a track record of damaging vehicles. The slightly higher shift points & firmness aren't hurting the vehicle - we don't abuse the powertrain, we don't twist the motors to 6000 rpm, or "slam" the transmission inappropriately, etc. Those "Superchips" settings in the Micro tuners are already optimized and designed to give the best results, and even the new WOT (wide-open throttle) shift points are still happening below the stock factory rev limiter - but they are high enough to allow the engine to make it's peak power, which in stock trim in the 2004 3-valve 5.4's they're not. Stock the shift at about 4800, and with the "Superchips" settings it'll shift at about 5200-5300 rpm.

And no, I do not generally recommend "playing" with them - you're never going to match the sheer amount of R&D time and testing that has gone into that, so I doubt you're going to achieve a better result in terms of performance. Now if the shifts feel too firm for your particular tastes, or in a situation such as if someone has also installed a shift kit, etc., then they can simply soften them up with the Micro Tuner, but that's never been necessary in *any* F-150 I've ever driven & tuned with a "MAX' series Micro Tuner and a stock transmission. The shifts are smooth at light throttle and get progressively firmer as you give it more and more throttle - just like they should be.

Have fun guys,

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 10-06-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! I am going to go install the parts I got from you yesterday! Cant wait!

~Colby

Old 10-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Colby,

Oops!

I was in the process of editing my response to you just to make it a bit more detailed, but didn't get that done before you saw my original response - sorry 'bout that!

It's no big deal, nothing changed in my advice, but you might want to just go back and re-read it as I went in to a bit more detail there so you'd have more info.

Have fun!

Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the info! I actually got to install the 1714 today (as well as the AirRaid) and man that things great! I think it perfect, but I let my dad drive it and he thought it was a bit firm on the 1-2 shift at WOT. But he still liked it and it grew on him. He said it made it a complete new truck. I must agree.

Thanks for all your help and great service!

~Colby

Quick Reply: What Mods Best Compliment the Tuners?