suggestions for a 96 F150 302

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions for a 96 F150 302

I was looking at the venom 400 but it isnt available for my my pickup. I would like to find something like it. any suggestions.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a search (upper right) for the superchip 1715 or 9100. I recommend the 9100 as I've tried both, a couple of bucks more but worth every penny!! Troyer performance custom tunes the 9100 for YOUR truck. call them to discuss both after you do the search and read all you can.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mattrr01,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

What will actually get you the best result (largest power & performance gains) is to have us do a custom tune for your truck - we've specialized in the F-150 for many years & are well known for our results, so most F-150 owners come to us for their tuning & other performance needs.

Your 1996 F-150 is the first model year of the OBD-II trucks, and it can be one of the more difficult model years to tune well - for example, the gentleman that responded to you (watsonr) has a 1996 with a very rare code - we custom-tuned his truck after he had already used the "standard" Superchips performance tuning, and it turned out very well, with significantly more power & performance.

With a vehicle that is 8-9 years old, an important thing is to make sure all of its maintenance is up to snuff - ignition system having relatively fresh plugs, plug wires & coil, and all filters, belts, hoses, etc. up to par - you know, all the basics, but especially powertrain maintenance, that way you'll get the most out of performance tuning. For example, on a 100K+ mile 5.0 V8, the timing chain will be well worn and thus a bit stretched - though the engine will still seem to run very nicely of course, it won't actually make quite as much peak power as it would with a new timing chain due to the camshaft timing being off from the loose worn timing chain. This is just some quick FYI info for you - you may well already know all of this. Now if you have a high-miles motor, that doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be tuned - as long as it's not burning oil, etc., you can have a nice tune put on it and get good power gains - I'm simply referring to maximizing the result, being the power-mad motorheads we are.

Feel free to drop by our web site and take a look at the various tuning products - what I recommend for your truck is either our Part# 9300 Xcalibrator, which is a 3-program hand-held custom tuner, or our Part# SCT6600, which is a 4-program custom tuned chip. Now at the link I'm going to give you below, you will find other tuning products, too - but either of those two Part#'s I mentioned are what I would recommend for your vehicle, as that gets you multiple programs and most importantly, our in-depth *custom* tuning rather than off-the-shelf "standard" performance tuning, so you'll get maximum power & performance improvement. Here's the link to our tuning section for FoMoCo vehicles: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...chips%3BFoMoCo

And of course, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below to go over this in more detail - we'll be happy to help you.

Last - as "watsonr" (Randy Watson, a great contributing member of F-150 Online) suggested in his response, take some time to read some of the many posts here from people who have spent their hard-eared money to use our tuning, to see what they think, etc. - nothing beats hearing it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & we hope you'll hang out here with us in your spare time!

Quick Reply: suggestions for a 96 F150 302