Questions for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for Mike

Mike, I have a 2000 Expy with a 4.6L, 4x4 and 3.55's. I was on the way to a KC Chiefs game when I started to smell a little oil burning from time to time. Its when I stopped for lunch that I realized it was me and not the Chevy's on the road...
On the way back I was cruising about 75 and whenever I hit a mild incline it fealt like it was missing ever so slightly. Under a load or a heavy foot I cannot duplicate the feeling of the miss. Just when I am hitting the high speeds in overdrive and there is a small incline or something.
I have the 1715 that you sold me installed on my Expy and a MagnaFlow catback. The only two mods that I have right now. I dont think they are related to these stmptoms, just letting you know what the setup is.
I cant for the life of me figure out how or why I am smelling oil when it IS clean under the hood. In another post in the ENGINES section a couple of guys said that it might be a bad coil causing the miss.

Thank you.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:32 PM
?

how many miles on fuel filter and upstream o2 sensosrs- and plugs?-phil

Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi OE,

I'm afraid that you're going to need to have it looked at by your local mechanic, as anything said here could only be guesswork - there's just no telling what's going on there over the Internet.

It might be a coil pack - but a coil pack failure is not going to cause a smell of burning oil - burning *rubber* maybe, if the coil pack is frying, but not burning oil.

Every year or so, it's a good idea to remove each coil pack (one at a time, and leave the spark plugs in place) so you can use some lightly pressurized air to dry out and blow all the debris out of each spark plug well - they will accumulate debris and even moisture if you spray under the hood, for example. A wet coil pack can give you intermittent problems.

It could be so many things that this is really just pure guesswork, so this isn't the way to diagnose the vehicle - you might get lucky and have someone's guess point you in the right direction, or you could end up chasing your tail for a year.

If you like, it certainly won't hurt to clean out the plug wells and of course, make sure to scan for any error codes - if that doesn't get you anywhere, it's time to have it looked at by a local pro.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you, & good luck!

Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I understand that this trouble that I am having is hard to diagnose... just trying to get a good idea before I do some major work to it.

Happy New Year all...

Old 12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey Mike

and Phil...hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!

Mike I have been having a little problem with my truck. In the 91 tow mode- When I start it in the morning (when it's cold) it starts fine, but then about 10 seconds later it misses real bad for about 5 seconds and then it's fine. I called Anita and she told me to try a different mode so I switch it to 87 tow mode and it's doing the same thing for about 1800 miles now.

Also, it seems the gas mileage isn't what it was when I first got it. I'm only getting about 13 mpg now, where before it was 16-18 consistenly.

Also... ....I road in my cousins Chevy 4.8 extra cab 2wd this weekend and he just got a new exhaust system put on it (Flowmaster) and we took it to where I usually test my truck when I do something different to it. It took off kinda slow and pukey but the higher the rpm range got the faster it got, I was a little impressed. We went back and got my truck and did the same run. He finished the run at 70 mph and I finished it at 73. He was really impressed especially being a 4wd 3 ton beast. I have it on the 87 tune. What I noticed about mine though was it took off really fast, but the higher the rpms got the more it felt like it was holding back, not getting faster and stronger.

so...my question is...Do I need headers or something else to help it on the high end? I already have a MAC intake and MagnaFlow exhaust.

Thanks for listening

Old 12-29-2004, 12:56 AM
hey chevysniper my truck has been doing the same thing when i get in it in the morning when its real cold out and im running 93 oct mode i thought it might be the iacv or the tb need cleaned hope you get it work out 72 mustang

Quick Reply: Questions for Mike