Mike???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike???

Mike, WLF and I hve both installed air to water aftercoolers on our Powerdyne set up. My question ps as you know I am in Wester PA and we see a wide temperature swing. From what I understand the lightning aftercooler water pump is controlled by the computer. Are we going to have to make a way of turning the pump off at a certin temperature and if so what temperature or can the thing still run all the time.
Even though the cooler can not cool the air lower than ambient I guess there could be a frost problem, any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Chuck,

You need to call me on this - no, it's not going to be controlled by the PCM, obviously, as you do not have a Lightning. Now if the truck where here at the shop and you wanted to pay the time it would take, we *can probably find a way to do that by connecting to an unused pin and treat it like an e-fan, but that's a lot of work - don't ask me to tell you pin#'s, how to do it, etc., as I don't know ff the top of my head and only get involved in that kind of thing when we're doing the work *here*.

I suggest that you simply install a secondary IAT gauge and when the IAT's hit a point you don't like, turn on a manual switch to circulate the intercooler fluid pump - or rig a switch to turn the pump on only @ WOT, etc.

It's easiest to just use a manual switch and turn it on based on a gauge reading - or use a gauge that is capable of triggering a "switching source" and run it thru a variable temp controller - in fact, like maybe one of our variable temp electric fan controllers, now there's an idea!

Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike, can you give me a recomendation for off and on temperatures, I'm shure that I can figure an off and on set up. I guess my main question is at what intake air temp does the pump need to be shut off at? I realize that the computer on my truck was not intended for such a purpose. When I mentioned lightning I was asking at what temperature they turn the pump on and when they turn it off.

Quick Reply: Mike???