cal shift points

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cal shift points

Filling out my paperwork and the only real question I had was on the shift points. As you all know there are 3 options. Stock, firm and hard. Who has what and how noticable is the difference between firm and hard? My 06 screw will be a daily driver and when ever I get a chance I will tow my boat. The truck should go in the shop next week and the wait is killing me!

Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by dats150
Filling out my paperwork and the only real question I had was on the shift points. As you all know there are 3 options. Stock, firm and hard. Who has what and how noticable is the difference between firm and hard? My 06 screw will be a daily driver and when ever I get a chance I will tow my boat. The truck should go in the shop next week and the wait is killing me!
I got the "Firm" and I wish it was a little firmer. I would go with hard if I had it to do again. Its liniar so at moderate throttle it shifts like stock, at WOT its firm. As time is going by it is firming up some. I hope this helps

Old 10-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Factory Tech valve body and XC2 tunes. The shifting is incredible - quick and smooth and firm.

My suggestion is firm. You could always look into reprogramming a single tune for not too much $ if you wanted firmer or hard. The tuning is custom.
Part of my goal with mods is to keep my truck easy to drive for anyone I thrrow the keys to.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
gp
mine is set at firm.normal driving its a firm shift but not very noticable.the harder you get into to it the harder it shifts.full throttle redline shifts are firm,just like it needs to be.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dats150,

Read gp's reply just above my post - he's exactly right, I recommend circling "firm" - on towing tunes, we automatically make it a little softer than on a "performance" tune. We set them up so that at light throttle it's still smooth, and then as you give it progressively more and more throttle, it gets progressively firmer, so that by the time you are all the way at wide-open throttle, the shifts are noticeably snappier. (This is in a performance tune).

We do the same thing for "towing" tunes, except we do not allow the shifts to get as firm at the heavy throttle settings, as it's just not appropriate.

SO circling "firm" gets you a scenario that is a beautifully linear progression in shift firmness level controlled directly by your right foot - the more right foot, the firmer the shift.

Someone driving the vehicle "normally" will never even notice it - like the wife, for example. Same thing if you drive it on snow & ice even with a performance tune, when you drive it at lighter throttle openings it's still nice & smooth, just less transmission slippage.

Last - for those who use full-throttle more often, they will tend to be firmer than someone who drives it easy most of the time, and only uses full-throttle occasionally. And of course when you first install it, it usually feels firmer and will settle in after a few hundred miles to that nice linear progressiveness that I described above - which is basically just like GP described in his response.

Circle "firm" is my advice for almost everyone.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
gp
the wife part is the best reason to chose the firm setting.and if you dont like it mike will take care of it and fix it anyway you want it.now if only i can get this data loging figured out.

Quick Reply: cal shift points