My Apologies To Mike

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:01 PM
MHP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Apologies To Mike

First off I have to apologize, I never meant to be in here moaning or wining. This is the first vehicle that I have ever done any kind of Power Mods on. I will be the first to admit that everything I know I've learned either from you or others here in these threads. Having said that my first step was to call you and ask for directions, I was told to send my tuner back, I did. I would have tried to datalog if I had been told to do so even though it is all very new to me. So please let me know what the next step is. At this point I would just like to enjoy the most out of your tunes and my truck that is possible.

Again sorry and thanks for all your help.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MHP,

Gee, that's a very nice post, and very kind of you - thank you!

Just FYI - I tried to call you today at both your numbers, but just got voicemail - I wanted us to talk personally just to make sure we're on the same wavelength, and clear up any misunderstandings if there are any, etc, as I don't want to see anyone unhappy with us - I know all too well how that feels, and it's not fun. I got voicemail at both numbers, and didn't bother leaving any message, as I wanted to just quickly get back to what I was doing. And then here just literally 5 minutes ago, one of our staff let me know that you had called us a bit later while I was on another line - so it looks like we both tried to communicate today!

Anyway - let's go over a little bit of info we have found on your truck, since you may see it here before we can actually speak, and there is some important info that ALL owners here should read in this post, OK?

First - and most important, the root of the problem - your truck's PCM has been reflashed numerous times, including the one time you noted on your CPW's. *That* is the problem, not our tuning, nor the XCalibrator itself.

In other words, your PCM has had numerous different revisions made to it since the vehicle was built. Now it's possible that ONE reflash might have been done prior to you taking retail delivery of your vehicle, then the others were *after* you bought the vehicle. What we found out was that your truck had already been reflashed twice as of last December - then it has been reflashed again since then. That is why our tuning did not match perfectly (it would have been close, but not 100%, and thus could give symptoms), not because there was a problem with your XCalibrator 2, or something wrong in how we tuned your vehicle, etc.

In fact, this is one of the things we warn about in the documentation we send out to our customers who orders our custom tuning. Ford dealerships are required to place a Notice of Modification sticker under the hood, precisely identifying the new PCM revision each and every time they change the PCM. And obviously at least one sticker was under your hood, as that info was on your original CPW's, so the first reflash somebody did their job *perfectly* - but none of the other reflash info was given to us, so we had to find all of this out the hard way, and build all new tunes from scratch - that's a lot of additional work.

Normally we charge a fee for this because it is a lot of additional work that isn't our fault, but in the interests of good will, and also of letting this type of scenario serve as a sort of "lesson/reminder/warning" (for lack of better terms?) to ALL owners who read these posts for all of them to make sure that their Ford dealership places those stickers under the hood to correctly and fully identify the reflash info - we're not going to charge anything in this case. We really just want to see you happy with your tuning - as happy as you see other people here!

Another thing for everyone to remember is that every time the PCM gets reflashed, the customer gets a copy of that paperwork from the dealership, and the PCM reflash is noted right on the work order (though the info to identify the new PCM revision usually *isn't* on that paperwork, at least you know the PCM was reflashed as it will say so), they have to send in a copy of that paperwork to Ford to get paid for doing that work.)

So just FYI, everyone reading this post - when you take your vehicle in for service, it's a good idea to not only return back to your stock factory tuning first, but to also tell your service department to leave your PCM alone, do NOT reflash it without your PRIOR knowledge and consent, and them affixing the Notice of Modification sticker including the reflash identifying info under the hood.

What a story/ordeal, eh? I hate that you went thru all of this, and we do have your new tunes done already - we got all of that done today, and we will be shipping your XCalibrator back out tomorrow so you'll have it back soon. Then maybe you can get a chance to see how it really should feel!

Thanks very much for your post. and for your phone cal today, they are both greatly appreciated. And my apologies for all your frustration, I know it's frustrating to get your tuning and then have it not feel right, and find out that there is a problem. At least you can take heart in knowing that we found the issue, and have your new tunes headed out to you as of tomorrow (Wednesday October 19th).

Wow, I've got a lot of posts to catch up on here, but they're just going to have to wait until tomorrow!

All the best, & have fun with your NEW new tuning!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM
MHP
Mike, that is totaly awsome and very much appreciated. I guess I need to have a little chat with the service manager at the local Ford Dealer. It has been in there every 3000 miles to get the oil change and a couple extra trips for other things. I have gone back through all my paper work and no where does it mention any reflash except last December which I was aware of. I had always figured it was something to do with my truck and not your tunes or the XCAL2.
Just so you know, after talking to Anita today I hung up the phone feeling alot better. You two seem to be a great team.

Thanks Again

Old 10-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Sounds like another job well done to right a misunderstanding and create a satisfied customer. This speaks volumes of Troyers customer service, which can't be assigned a value. My order for Xcal will go in January. I'd do it now but I flat out of modding cash until next year. I need to be putting a hold on it. It's an adiction I tell ya. Gotta to have me some exhaust, intake and tuner soon though.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi MHP,

Thanks for your kind reply!

It's entirely possible that your dealership simply failed to give you *all* of the service sheets, that is possible I suppose. They would have to generate them and turn them in to Ford, or they would not get paid for doing the work - and they usually don't make that kind of mistake often - but it is possible that they may not have given you ever page of everything they generated - they might have just given you a copy of a work order.

I'm used to dealerships that give the customer copies of everything, so that's my frame of reference - now of course, we have a small local Ford dealership that usually tends to only give a copy of the original work order, come to think of it, and that completely slipped my mind when I was writing my last response last night! But even if that *had* done that for you, you still would not have know just exactly what code they reflashed your PCM to, you would have seen something like "PCM reflash" or "PCM/ECU reprogram," etc. on the sheets and just know that it was reflashed again.

These things happen sometimes, so we just have to deal with it and get on with life - we just want to see you happy with your truck and our tuning, that's what matters, of course!

So here's hoping that the info we have on this latest reflash is correct (which would make yours now a code of NYV0, by the way - that last digit is a "zero"), and that it takes care of the symptoms you were seeing!

Take care & talk to you soon!

Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I have a similar situation, but yall handled it for me, thanks . and i just have to say i cant remember doing bussiness with a more helpfull place in a looooooooong time. yall rock

Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Thomasblack,

Thanks for your post, we appreciate the kudos & hope you're enjoying your tuning!

Quick Reply: My Apologies To Mike