Anyone else notice performance drop from Superchips 1745 after installed a few weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else notice performance drop from Superchips 1745 after installed a few weeks?

I have a Superchips 1745 tuner installed to high performance on my 2005 F150 5.4 liter. I installed it about 3 weeks ago and I noticed the power increase and firmer shifting right off the bat. But as of yesterday it kind of felt like it had "mellowed out". I do not drive with the throttle to the floor but I do stomp on it sometimes. The truck felt as if it would not get up and go as it would 3 weeks ago. Maybe I have just gotten used to the acceleration when I hammer the throttle. But it seemed to feel different so I went and reinstalled the high performance program last night but I didnt drive it around. This morning when I left for work, the truck seemed like it was back to it's old self when I mashed on the throttle. It had the same getup and go as when I first installed the high performance mod on there.

I am just wondering if this is normal?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
It's called short and long term learning by the PCM.
The new programs changes are still subject to alteration by these actions.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
I think we just get used to the performance that it no longer phases us as it did when first installed. Also as BLUEGRASS stated the PCM still attempts to compensate for driving habits.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was doing some wiring the the other day, and had the battery disconnected for an hour or so.
When I reconnected it my truck ran much better quicker than before, particularly the trans shifting was very clean.
This is just an example of the PCM adapting to my pokie in traffic driving.
Try unplugging the battery, could help short term.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
It's a perception thing. When I give my truck a fresh tune, it seems to run like a raped ape but it's actually not. The off-the-line grunt is insane and the shifts are nice, but magically at the end of the ¼ I'm running slower than pre-fresh tune. As the PCM learns, it decides that you don't need the low end grunt, takes it away and somehow makes up the HP higher in the RPM range. My ¼ times after a few weeks are MUCH better than a fresh tune. It bugs the crap outta me. In addition, after a few months the tranny just gets stupid or just plain lazy. It's shift decisions are off and it gets really confused when I'm feathering the throttle in rush hour. Bugs the crap outta me. What REALLY bugs me is the MPGs.... a fresh tune I lose at least 1.5 mpg. Now, after a month or more it gets back to the mid-15s I enjoy. WTF is this about? I wish we could just program the %^*#(@ PCM and drop the horrid 'adaptive learning' crap. I know Mike will come along and explain why it's good, but from a mindless consumer standpoint I think it sucks. Perception is everything and my truck loses the snap off the line (even though it in fact is quicker) has funny shifting and the MPG thing is crazy...

Old 10-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The instructions with my SC2 said that the PCM adaptive strategy takes a few drinig cycles to optimize.
Also, if you go to the drags and load a drag tune, it will take several passes for the PCM to " catch on " to the new driving method.
I switched between 91 perf and 93 drag tunes last time out, and didn't see much of an e.t. change.
Next trip to the drags I will also disconnect the battery after reprogramming, I think it will help set a new program quicker.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Talking

I have also noticed that I do have more getup in the 2500 to 3000 rpm range after the tune has been in a couple of weeks. I kinda wish that the dern computer would not do the adaptive leaning thing. Cause most of the time when I stomp it, I am at a standstill racing a Dodge or something and not going 45 mph then stomping on it. Oh well, I guess I can just retune the darn thing about once a month to keep my lowend getup where I want it to be.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice performance drop from Superchips 1745 after installed a few weeks?