Xcal2 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 06:42 PM
BGA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal2 question

I received my tuner late last and and this morning installed the 93 perf. The shift points are much firmer and the truck resonds very well. You can definetly feel the "seat of the pants" performance. First I want to think Mike for the wonderful tune! My only question is the speedometer seems to be 5 miles an hour off. For example I was driving 79 and the the rpm was only at 2000. I've owned this truck for 4 year and normally at 75 I will be at 2000 rpms. Is this the normal adaptive strategy at work and will and will it go back to th enormal 75 at 2000 over time? And once again thanks Mike for the grat tune

Old 10-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the new tune generates more power at 2000- just a thought.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue with speedo being off. If you play around with your XCAL 2 you will see the option to change revs/mile when you load a tune. I calculated the size of my tire by changing millimeters to inches, then adding that to the size of the rim, then multiplying by PI or 3.14159. For my tires, 265/70R17, that is 265 mm or 26.5 cm, at 2.54 cm per inch, equals 26.5/2.54 or 10.43 inches wide. Then multiply that by .70 (the ratio of the second number, 70, divided by 100.) You then get 7.3 inches. That is the height both above and below the rim, so you double that and add the diameter of the rim. 14.6 + 17 = 31.6 inches. That is the height of my tire. Now multiply 31.6 * 3.14159 and you get 99.27 inches as the circumference of the tires. Multiply 5280 ft * 12 inches per foot, and you get 63360 inches per mile. Divide 63360 by 99.27 and you get 638 (rounded off) revs/mile. The nearest number of revs/mile in my XCAL 2 was 640, I plugged that in when I put in my 90 octane perf tune and presto, my speedo is perfect (Handheld GPS verified) from 15 mph up to 75. Haven't tested it any higher with a GPS. Have fun with the calculations!

Old 10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi BGA,

Thanks for your post, we're glad to hear you are enjoying your new Troyer Performance custom tuning!

The thing to remember here is that we do NOT change the speedometer's calibration at all - not unless the vehicle owner lists having a different gear ratio and/or tire size on their CPW's. So the speedo is not changed unless the customer requests it.

To actually see if the speedo is of, the way to do that is to check it using an accurate GPS.

Remember also that you don't want to try to go by how many rpms you are turning for a given speed, as that can vary depending on load, etc, as we do raise the part-throttle shift points, not just the full-throttle shift points. So under certain loads, you could well be turning more rpms for a given speed, due to our different shift & torque converter schedules.

You can change the calibration of your speedometer right on the XCalibrator 2 - you can enter the correct gear ratio and correct tire size info. However, don't' do that just yet - the first thing to do is to give us a call so we can check the info listed on your CPW's with what we have done in the tuning.

If that is correct, then the next step is to see what the speedometer reads at a true road speed of 50 mph by using an accurate GPS system.

So the first & easiest thing to do is to give us a call so we can go over the info on your CPW's and check to see what we actually entered into your tuning, to see if that is correct - and then that will tel us what to do from there, but usually if that info is correct the next step is to check to see what the speedo reads when the vehicle is doing a true speed of 50 mph via GPS.

Good luck & talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Xcal2 question