Datalogin (What exactly is needed)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about this custom tuning. You have to buy the Xcal2 first, then you can do the datalogging later, and then have to have the rewrite codes again for your truck? Does the reprogramming after the datalogging cost extra money? If so, then is there any way you can get custom tuning with A/F ratios from the start?

I just took my new truck to the track last night and now I'm wanting to start looking into the mods for the new trucks.

Originally Posted by MHP
I would sure like to know where one of these places are where you can get 3 pulls for $75. The best price I have been able to find is $260 and thats if I can get it all done in 1 hour. Otherwise it's $98 for the first 2 pulls and $50 for each one after. Most places here in SoCal want a $300 minimum. So I'm saving up the cash to get it done, I just hope my time doesn't run out before I get enough money together, especially with the Holidays comming up.
The dyno around me will do 3 pulls for something like $74 to $90. On their Dyno days you can get in for like $40.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Intel486
Question about this custom tuning. You have to buy the Xcal2 first, then you can do the datalogging later, and then have to have the rewrite codes again for your truck? Does the reprogramming after the datalogging cost extra money? If so, then is there any way you can get custom tuning with A/F ratios from the start?
Hi.

Within 60 days of purchase, & receipt of proper datalogging info, the custom tuning 'fine-tuning' is included as part of the original purchase. After 60 days - there is understandably a fee.

As for your second question, I believe you first need to datalog against your initially provided 'baseline' custom tunes, c/w A/F's, (either from a dyno session or an LM-1), in order for the Tune Maestro ( gotta love JP ) to 'tweak' those tunes. So the question is moot, regardless of the costs. It's a non-sequitur to datalog against the factory tune.

Cheers
Grog

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-10-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Within 60 days of purchase, & receipt of proper datalogging info, the custom tuning 'fine-tuning' is included as part of the original purchase. After 60 days - there is understandably a fee.

As for your second question, I believe you first need to datalog against your initially provided 'baseline' custom tunes, c/w A/F's, (either from a dyno session or an LM-1), in order for the Tune Maestro ( gotta love JP ) to 'tweak' those tunes. So the question is moot, regardless of the costs. It's a non-sequitur to datalog against the factory tune.

Cheers
Grog
Thanks for the information

Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM

I just took my new truck to the track last night and now I'm wanting to start looking into the mods for the new trucks.

The dyno around me will do 3 pulls for something like $74 to $90. On their Dyno days you can get in for like $40.
But who wants to get dyno'd under water? Sorry, I feel bad about that, but couldn't stop myself

Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by MHP
I would sure like to know where one of these places are where you can get 3 pulls for $75. The best price I have been able to find is $260 and thats if I can get it all done in 1 hour. Otherwise it's $98 for the first 2 pulls and $50 for each one after. Most places here in SoCal want a $300 minimum. So I'm saving up the cash to get it done, I just hope my time doesn't run out before I get enough money together, especially with the Holidays comming up.
Drive on up out of that overpriced area to good old Colton. $75 for 3 pulls with A/F on a a new Dynojet, or $125 for an hour. Tuning Technologies

Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am still confused. Do I need to do the data logging if I go to the dyno or if I go to the dyno do they get all the info that is needed? Is the data logging with the xcal 2 and pc going on during the dyno? I obviously haven't bought an xcal2 yet so I haven't read any docs but am thinking about it and just want to understand exactly what is involved. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:00 PM
I found a SCT dealer around here(AZ) that will datalog and do the A/F for $60. They can send all the info to TP for me. That is for 1/2 an hour on the dyno.

Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by desparado
But who wants to get dyno'd under water? Sorry, I feel bad about that, but couldn't stop myself

Old 11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Craigh,
I ordered my XCal 2 from Troyer this week. So far from what I can tell the way it goes down is as follows
1) Place your order
2) They send you a questioner
3) You fill it out and send back
4) You wait patiently for your tuner
That is what I know for sure the rest I am assuming as I have not got pasty this part.
If you do not have a way to measure your A/F ratios then you will have to go to a dyno shop to data log. It is my understanding that the XCal 2 can record all the information you need to data log except the A/F ratios and all the information needs to be gathered at the same time so again I am assuming that one trip to the dyno you can get your data loggin done. Once you send the data log information back to TP they can e-mail you your final adjustments and you should be good to go.

FORDFONEFIFTY if you can get someone to all the leg work for you for 60 bucks I would jump on it. The closest dyno I have found is about 75 miles away. They want at least 100 bucks to hook me up on the dyno. They have to weld a bung into my exhaust to measure A/F ratios and that is another 30 bucks. If I get half the that every one else is getting out of their custom Troyer tunes it will be money well spent for me.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by BLYOTH
....all the information needs to be gathered at the same time so again I am assuming that one trip to the dyno you can get your data loggin done.....
and that was the answer I was after. Thanks blyoth.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by FORDFONEFITTY
I found a SCT dealer around here(AZ) that will datalog and do the A/F for $60. They can send all the info to TP for me. That is for 1/2 an hour on the dyno.
Wow good deal is that in the Phoenix area? Shoot me an E-mail if you could and let me know who. I would appreciate it thanks

Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Intel486
I apologize, that was in bad taste. :o

Old 11-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Due to the number of questions on how our custom tuning program works, I thought I would go over "the basics" here so everyone can see:

When you place your order for our Troyer Performance custom tuning, the first thing that happens is we immediately send you an email that contains our CPW's (Custom Program Worksheets), and our datalogging instructions. These are written for the novice, step-by-step, very easy to understand. The info you provide on the CPW's (Custom Program Worksheets) tells us exactly what modifications are on the vehicle, it's configuration (2WD, 4WD, SuperCrew, lifted, lowered, supercharged, ported heads, etc.), and a little bit of it's maintenance history, so we have a good idea of what kind of shape the vehicle is in - it's all simple, fill-in-the-blanks stuff.

You shoot the CPW's back to us (usually by fax is the easiest way), and then we do your "baseline" custom tuning based on the combination of that info and what we discussed during our phone consultation when you originally placed your order.

Once you receive your tuning, generally speaking you can load that tuning and the vehicle can be operated right away.

You datalog the vehicle AFTER you get your tuning, with the new tuning installed, so that we can see exactly how the vehicle is responding, and if there are any adjustments that may be needed, or if there is anything else we can do to raise power further, etc. So you send that data to us, and then we make any adjustments that are needed or appropriate to your custom tuning, and we email you back the final finished custom tuning. Those adjustments are FREE – that is INCLUDED with your Troyer Performance custom tuning package, there is no extra charge for that, as long as that is done within 60 days of the time you receive your original tuning. That is what custom tuning is all about, dialing in and fully optimizing each and every individual vehicle, so that is included in the price with our custom tuning.

So it's really a pretty simple process - and remember, all that is required to datalog is your XCalibrator 2 and a PC running Windows XP. We do prefer to see the vehicle go to a dyno to get the Air/Fuel ratios tested using a proper wideband A/F meter, but in a pinch, for non-supercharged vehicles, we can simply have you datalog other parameters that we can use instead, and dial in you’re A/F ratios that way. It won’t be quite as dead-nuts accurate, but it will be very, very close – within a coupla-few tenths of a point, literally, and closer than it came from the factory. This is intended as an alternative for those who do not have a dyno facility close by.

So here it is in a nutshell:

1.) Place your order, receive our email with the CPW's,. fill them out & send them back to us.

2.) We do the initial "baseline" custom tuning, you install your new tuning, and you datalog the vehicle.

3.) We analyze that data, make the appropriate changes (if any are needed), and email them back to you, so you can reload your new tunes into your XCal 2 using the USB cable we send with every unit and your PC, and then re-load your new tunes in your vehicle.

That's it!

In the email we send you as soon as you place your order, we provide complete and thorough instructions on exactly what “datalogging” is and precisely how to do it. Our instructions are written for those who know absolutely nothing about this, and take you literally step-by-step thru the exact procedure, explaining each aspect – it’s written so that literally anyone who can read English and follow simple instructions can do it, so don't let the term "datalogging" intimidate you. Anyone can easily datalog their vehicle and email that info back to us.

We have been doing this custom tuning via "mail order" for years, our system is a complete package that allows us to tune that vehicle spot-on without ever seeing it – and we make this pretty painless, and easy to understand for everyone.

We are also happy to go over any details, answer any questions, etc - a lot of people like to call us the day before they datalog, just to go over everything one last time, make sure they know & understand exactly how to do everything, etc. Even though our instructions are very thorough, we're more than happy to do that. And once you actually do this, you quickly see just how easy it really is, how you do NOT need to be a "techie" to do this, and the end result is a vehicle that is tuned spot-on, making maximum safe & sustainable power.

I hope that brief info helps to explain a bit better how this basic process works, and if anyone has any questions on how we do this, or any aspect of this, please feel free to give us a call and we'll be happy to go over it with you.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:34 PM

I hope that brief info helps to explain a bit better how this basic process works, and if anyone has any questions on how we do this, or any aspect of this, please feel free to give us a call and we'll be happy to go over it with you. [/QUOTE]

Mike,
so if I read this right,
I am coming on saturday for the dyno day, my sct II is supposed to be ready.

So it will be dynoed stock, the programming installed, dynoed again, then adjustments made to the programming?

Then I should be good until other mods are made??

Sorry if the questions seem ignorant, I am unsure!

Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My previous post had absolutely noting to do with Dyno Days - you'll notice there was nothing mentioned about Dyno Days in that post. What I posted above is how our mail order custom tuning program works, as was described.

In short, during Dyno Days your vehicle is on the dyno for as long as it takes to get it tuned properly - whether it takes an hour, or 3 hours, and we take care of the datalogging - a Dyno Day is completely different, and has nothing to do with what I posted above.

For any other details on what we do on Dyno Days, you'll need to give us a call at our number listed below.

Quick Reply: Datalogin (What exactly is needed)