How come the V6's dont have a high octane tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come the V6's dont have a high octane tune?

I was reading my freinds manual for his Super chips 1714 programmer, And it says that there is only an 87 hi performance tune and 87 tow tune for the V6's.

Why is that? What happened to the 93 octane tunes?

If I can only get an 87 octane tune on my V6, isnt that going to make it pretty much worthless??

Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Podunk
I was reading my freinds manual for his Super chips 1714 programmer, And it says that there is only an 87 hi performance tune and 87 tow tune for the V6's.

Why is that? What happened to the 93 octane tunes?

If I can only get an 87 octane tune on my V6, isnt that going to make it pretty much worthless??
This could be due to the compression ratio for the V6. You need to have a certain compression ratio (>9.5/1 I think) to even be able to take advantage of the higher octane. I dont know what the compression is on that motor, but this could be your answer.

Also the 87 octane tune wil increase performance over stock so its not worthless.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Podunk,

If you want performance tuning for that vehicle, you will be much better off with the results from our *custom* tuning than what you will get in the 1714, regardless of what octane fuel you use.

Many of the 4.2 V6's have problems such as not even being able to go open loop, which costs significant power, and the standard tuner doesn't fix those kinds of problems, it takes our custom tuning to do that.

It's up to you of course, we sell both of those products - but if you are concerned with getting the best results, then you'll want to go with our Troyer Performance custom tuning rather than using the off-the-shelf tuner, on *any* grade of octane.

If you;d like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below, & best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 AM
This could be due to the compression ratio for the V6. You need to have a certain compression ratio (>9.5/1 I think) to even be able to take advantage of the higher octane. I dont know what the compression is on that motor, but this could be your answer.

I just checked??

2004 compression ratios........

4.2 = 9.3:1

4.6 = 9.37:1

5.4 = 9.0:1

So now im still comfused? I guess I will just have to call Mike.

Quick Reply: How come the V6's dont have a high octane tune?