Longest Day Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Longest Day Ever!

Date/Time..........Location............................ .Activity

Nov 29, 2005......SAN BERNARDINO, CA, US......OUT FOR DELIVERY
8:07 A.M.
Well, this is going to be the longest day What do you think I'll be daydreaming about all day Think I can install the injectors, the MAF, new plugs and load the tune from my new Xcal2 in the dark before I go to bed

Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desparado
Well, this is going to be the longest day What do you think I'll be daydreaming about all day Think I can install the injectors, the MAF, new plugs and load the tune from my new Xcal2 in the dark before I go to bed
heck ya! Sleep is for the weak!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Spotted it from the street as I pulled up to the house I'm going to be a good boy and read all of the documentation before I start to screw around with it! Not an easy plug-it-in-and-change-the-tune job for me, since I am replacing the injectors, MAF and disabling the FMU, but I'll be getting a start soon. Because I don't want to get 1/2 way through, I may put it off until Friday, so I don't risk "no Wheels" That is death in Southern California. Besides, it's cold out. Must be mid 60's. Brrrrrrr

Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
desperado you must be close to me. I get my deliveries out of San Bo too. Where do you live? Yes it is getting almost too cold to do much work on the truck in the evenings. I spent today installing power windows in my 2004 F-150 XL SCab. Started about 8 AM and finished after 4 PM. If ya waits till Friday you might just get some rain.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:36 PM
^^^
Grand Terrace. I was in Yucaipa today! Your right about the rain. But I got bigger problems. I'll be calling MT tomorrow. No problem with him...but I think Fairview Ford did a stealth flash on my Truck.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Only once!

I've had mine to the dealer only one time. I had an early Stage 1 from MT that was flashed by SCT and when I was getting set up for my Xcal 1 I had to get the dealer to do a reflash. I took down a copy of the TSB for throttle response and they did it for that. Then I got the new PCM number back to Mike. They did the reflash but did not like it much. That was at Redlands Ford.

I've never had an occasion to go back for anything. Bought mine at Puente Hills Ford. I knew I'd never be back there, too far to go. Very sorry to hear they might have screwed ya like that. If I ever go back I will insist they are NOT to do a reflash. In fact I think I'd pull the OBD port off so they couldn't get at it.

Good luck with it. Maybe I'll bump into you sometime.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Desparado,

No, you do not have a stealth reflash problem from your dealer - what happens was you simply didn't do things right and got yourself in a panic from lack of knowledge.

What I mean by that is, instead of simply loading your tuning, you did a "read strategy" - and "strategy" and box codes are in completely different formats, that's all. Your strategy matches CML2, so you are fine, just as our staff told you earlier today.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
:o Yeah, I stepped in it! Since I have to change injectors, (and plugs while I'm at it) and MAF before loading the tune, I was anxious to do something. I was actually trying to PREVENT a problem. Being afraid of Murphy's law, I was thinking that out of a million guys, I would be the one who had a stealth reflash. Since the manual said this would display computer code, I really thought this would simply verify that no change had been done to the code.
This in no way was a lack of trust in the tune you provided or the information you used. And I did call right away to clear it up.
I was trying to do a smart thing based on this threadHelp Me Mike T
Ok, next stop, load em up, then off to the dyno

Last edited by desparado; 11-30-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey desparado

Good to hear it was no real trouble. Just clean off your shoes and forge ahead

Mike comes through again! Buddy you ROCK!

Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Desparado,

Don't give it a thought!

What you were trying to do was simply make sure you avoided getting caught with an undocumented reflash, and that makes a lot of sense - where that went wrong really was NOT with what you did, it was simply the fact that the "strategy" is a 7-digit type of code, where the "computer code" or "box code" or "catch code," as Ford calls is, is a 4-digit code, and no doubt you probably were ready to have a heart attack when you saw that!

Sounds like human nature to me, and just trying to avoid a problem.

You know, actually now that I think about that a bit, sometimes when things like this comes up it really tells us that we need to add something else to our supplemental Troyer Performance documentation we send out - you know, those 7-9 pages of extra info we provide. Perhaps we should put a blurb in there about the "read strategy" function reporting a 7 digit code instead of the typical box code, so that others who may do like you did, which was just trying to confirm the correct PCM revision, won't have that surprise like you did. That way, maybe we'll all get something positive out of this and it actually ends up helping a number of people in the future - that's always a nice scenario.

Thanks for all your posts, & and feel free to call us anytime if you have any questions, etc.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Longest Day Ever!