Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 08:53 AM
Doh!!!! My bad. Thanks for correcting me FX4_Guy. :o

Old 03-07-2007 | 09:49 AM
ok guys I just did a whole lot of reading and I am now very confused about the edge. I will be receiving mine on Thursday and I am not a professional at tunning and all the other Greek calibrations you guys know about. I just want to install my Edge run it on level 3 with 93 oct no custom tunning. Well I be ok and not break my truck?

Old 03-07-2007 | 10:20 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by PearlandAl
ok guys I just did a whole lot of reading and I am now very confused about the edge. I will be receiving mine on Thursday and I am not a professional at tunning and all the other Greek calibrations you guys know about. I just want to install my Edge run it on level 3 with 93 oct no custom tunning. Well I be ok and not break my truck?
You should be just fine, but Level 3 comes preset to run on 91 octane. You will really need to adjust your timing. When we Edge users talk of custom settings, it is not programming. It is just adjusting the program to meet your likes and any mods on your truck. These are very safe as long as you don't get crazy with them. I have been running mine about 15,000 miles and have had absolutly no problems. Can not imagine driving my truck without it.

Old 03-07-2007 | 10:35 AM
ok so since I plan on running 93 oct. which here in Houston is pretty simple, its either 87oct, 89oct, or 93oct I will need to set my timing accordingly and I am also adding a S&B CAI, do i need any speacial tunning for that?

Old 03-07-2007 | 10:44 AM
Global Moderator &
ok so since I plan on running 93 oct. which here in Houston is pretty simple, its either 87oct, 89oct, or 93oct I will need to set my timing accordingly and I am also adding a S&B CAI, do i need any speacial tunning for that?
Here is what I run for both 87 and 93, with the exception that on 93, I bump the timing up. Many of us are running something very similar

For both 87 and 93:

WOT Shift points (rpms): 1-2=5250 2-3=5250 3-4=4800
Max rpms: 5650
Speed: 110
Shift Pressure: +12 for all shifts (You need to see what you like best, some have it at +6 and a guy I work with has his at +18)

WOT Fuel: +1.5

For 93 octane:
Timing: +1.5

This works for me. Good luck.

Of course, you have to adjust for your rear gears and tire size.

Old 03-07-2007 | 10:50 AM
For the CAI = no. You could not correct for it properly in any case had there been a need.

You can safely set 1-2 to 5400, and 2-3 to 5300. Leave 3-4 @ 4700-4800.

Be very careful with shift pressures. TP's custom tuning does not increase shift pressures @ the shift points for a reason - safety. He has access to many more shifting parameters (and everywhere else) that can be accessed with a canned tuner and performs his shift improvement magic in a different & more complete manner.

Old 03-07-2007 | 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Be very careful with shift pressures. TP's custom tuning does not increase shift pressures @ the shift points for a reason - safety. He has access to many more shifting parameters (and everywhere else) that can be accessed with a canned tuner and performs his shift improvement magic in a different & more complete manner.
What are you talking about? Please explain...........

Last edited by Silverfish; 03-07-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2007 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
What are you talking about? Please explain...........
Hi - My bad . Incomplete data. There are NO line pressure increases added on dowshifts, but there are conservative increases on upshifts (selectable by the user @ order time, but still don't exceed a safe upper limit) These are made linearly progressive w.r.t how deep into the trottle you get, and it's a unique attribute to custom tuning. And the method is proprietary (As is the ETC tuning, BTW).

Removing various delays, removing (or vastly minimizing) torque reduction @ the shift point are others that, when done comprehensively, and specifically to the strategy code in question, results in PFM shifting feel.

I can attest to this first-hand - shifting with a 1715 canned tuner (that had line pressure adjustments) just could not compare to a custom shifting algorithm, no matter how many times I tried to tweak it. Night & day difference.

I reiterate - for safety & longevity, just go easy on line pressure increases in a stock tranny, unless you've added a FTVB or Transgo.

Good tranny tuning isn't just about shift points & pressures.

Want more info - phone Mike.

"..just sayin ..."

Old 03-07-2007 | 12:26 PM
Hi - My bad . Incomplete data. There are NO line pressure increases added on dowshifts, but there are conservative increases on upshifts (selectable by the user @ order time, but still don't exceed a safe upper limit) These are made linearly progressive w.r.t how deep into the trottle you get, and it's a unique attribute to custom tuning. And the method is proprietary (As is the ETC tuning, BTW).

Removing various delays, removing (or vastly minimizing) torque reduction @ the shift point are others that, when done comprehensively, and specifically to the strategy code in question, results in PFM shifting feel.

I can attest to this first-hand - shifting with a 1715 canned tuner (that had line pressure adjustments) just could not compare to a custom shifting algorithm, no matter how many times I tried to tweak it. Night & day difference.

I reiterate - for safety & longevity, just go easy on line pressure increases in a stock tranny, unless you've added a FTVB or Transgo.

Good tranny tuning isn't just about shift points & pressures.

Want more info - phone Mike.

"..just sayin ..."
I thought this thread was talking about the Edge and not the 1715?

Here are a couple good reads from Bill at Edge concerning shudder and his tuning ability:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...25#post2023325

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...31#post1926131

Last edited by Silverfish; 03-07-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:40 PM
Hi.

Yup, I recall those posts (even participated in one .

Bill did indicate the tuning was necessarily generic - and that's okay. The same way the tuning in a 1715 (behind which is likley a good fellow like Bill too, hence the reference) is generic. Generic typically = less granular control.

The thread was also about custom settings & my advice still stands. I'm just advocating caution. Small steps.

And don't some folks still experience a shudder issue to this day?

Let's just have a cold one & enjoy our trucks!

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-07-2007 | 03:13 PM
wt.....can I run Edge evo level 3 on 93oct? without messing with the tunes: yes or no?

Old 03-07-2007 | 03:22 PM
Yes.

Old 03-07-2007 | 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ancientmyth
Yes.
without breaking my truck?

Old 03-07-2007 | 03:45 PM
Hi.

Yup, I recall those posts (even participated in one .

Bill did indicate the tuning was necessarily generic - and that's okay. The same way the tuning in a 1715 (behind which is likley a good fellow like Bill too, hence the reference) is generic. Generic typically = less granular control.

The thread was also about custom settings & my advice still stands. I'm just advocating caution. Small steps.

And don't some folks still experience a shudder issue to this day?

Let's just have a cold one & enjoy our trucks!

Cheers
Bubba
I will and can have a cold one with you . Why are you always knocking the Edge? If I wanted a tune that would give me the best possible performance then I would have gone a different route then the Edge. My truck is a daily driver and not meant to out drag everything on the street. I got what I wanted with the Edge, better performance and gauges. I also bought the Edge for its resale value (it will work on any truck 04-07 besides mine). The extra cost of a custom tune and extra cost to Dyno (make it a non canned tune if you dyno and apply any needed changes to the tune) plus minus the gauges with a custom tune was not worth the money. I still have not seen or heard of any blown motors/tranny with the Edge, have you? I read in a post a while back that these motors can handle being off 15% in the air/fuel before denotation. I have 15,000 miles with the Edge and still not one problem with the truck. Check below for my Edge settings.

Cheers again!

Last edited by Silverfish; 03-07-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2007 | 04:59 PM
without breaking my truck?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It won't break anything and will work well if you leave the settings alone. Running the 91 octane tune with 93 octane fuel won't hurt anything, you just won't get the same performance you would if you bumped the timing a degree or two. If you want to tweak it to get better performance, play with the settings, just be careful and take it easy. Don't just up everything to the max all at once and hope it will work.

Personally I've had my Edge since they first came out and use the stock level 2 tune, and occasionally the level 3 tune, without any problems. At one point I did a little playing with the tune to see how it did. For the way I drive, which is mostly commuting to and from work lately, the changes were worthless so I switched back to the canned tunes. I also found that for daily driving in traffic level 2 was better since it seems to have a lot more torque off the line. Level 3 is better when at speed and you need to pass someone, it gets up and goes at higher rpm.

Quick Reply: Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!