Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006 | 01:00 PM
|
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
I would think that would cause the timing run to be off, a little.

Have you done other mods beside the Shaker?

I LOVE that Shaker hood.

How can I get one?

Muffler has been cutoff and a TBird efan. That's it.
I got the shaker from Classic Design Concepts at the Ford Nationals in CArlisle (Show Special!). Go to www.Classicdesignconcepts.com and check them out. They are really good car/truck people.

Old 01-06-2006 | 02:11 PM
Ok, Thanks.

You have 3:73 gears, an e-fan and a better exhaust than me.

Would that cause your 0 to 60 times to be a half second faster than mine?

It might.

Old 01-06-2006 | 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by C-17 Pilot
The Edge manual states that the Edge's MPH reading can vary from the gauge reading by as much as 3 MPH due to spring tolerances in the gauge cluster.

I've checked my speedometer with GPS and found it to be very accurate, so the Edge's readings (which I assume are just read directly from the PCM without any intermediate processing) might tend to give slightly higher than actual 0-60 times. (It would depend on when the Edge first senses forward movement and starts the timer, i.e., whether the delay in MPH reading is the same at the beginning of the run as it is at the end).
I am finding it to be just the opposite. Over the past 2 years of driving my truck, while passing those stationary radar boxes (don't know what they're actually called) it has always shown a few mph over what the radar has shown. Now, with the Edge, the Edge display is 2-3 mph below what the speedometer reads and I tend to believe that the Edge is more accurate.

After lurking on this forum for 2 years, I finally recently started posting, mainly because of my interest in the Edge. I have been thinking about a tuner for 2 years and while I definately considered the XCAL2 and wholeheartedly believe a custom tune can and should yield more in performance vs. a canned tune I could not convince myself that the gains would be enough for me. When the Edge came out with all of the display options as well as the ability to modify the shifting and other parameters, I was all over it. Spent one whole night reading through all the posts and made the purchase. To be honest, the next day I was wondering what I had just done, I purchased a tuner on what I believed it could do without waiting for any verification. I have yet to have much time using the Edge, I have only been running the level 2 tune, but coming into this with low expectations on performance, I am pleasantly surprised at the difference I can "feel" while driving my truck.
So far so good.

Old 01-07-2006 | 03:20 AM
After correcting the gear ratio and tire size in the Edge, it reads exactly the same as my speedo and tach.

I believe that if the Edge is reading different, then something is set wrong in the Edge.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those......

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:25 PM
|
The edge corrects the speedometer too so the readout on the edge is the same going to the speedo. That being said, im not sure the 1714 corrected it properly either though.

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by gobra
The edge corrects the speedometer too so the readout on the edge is the same going to the speedo. That being said, im not sure the 1714 corrected it properly either though.
Not in my truck.

When I first installed the Edge, the speed reported by the Edge was 10 mph different than my speedo.

I checked my speedo by clocking a measured mile, and it's right on.

After changing the gear ratio and tire size in the Edge, it now matches my speedo, which a checked again in the measured mile.

This is my findings.......yours may be different.

Old 01-08-2006 | 05:19 PM
|
Sure, you have to correct the tire size. The default is like 2950 or something crazy. BUT once you do, the speedo and edge should be together +-3 mph as the manual states. The edge engineer told me the edge speed indication was more accurate (since it does the correction/calculation).

Old 01-08-2006 | 05:43 PM
|
Fuel Mileage Update

481 miles and added 26.7 gallons=== 18 MPG!! LAst tank with 1714 performance was 16.2 MPG. Same trip. I did drive the truck harder due to the edge being installed. Best previous was a 1 time 17.4 MPG. This thing is getting better all the time!!

Old 01-08-2006 | 05:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

481 miles and added 26.7 gallons=== 18 MPG!! LAst tank with 1714 performance was 16.2 MPG. Same trip. I did drive the truck harder due to the edge being installed. Best previous was a 1 time 17.4 MPG. This thing is getting better all the time!!

That is impressive.

Old 01-09-2006 | 07:45 PM
|
New Best 0-60, 6.68!!!

Powerbraked to 1400 so i wouldnt spin too bad, and let her rip.....

Again, dont know how accurate but i ran 8.21 stock with raised shift points.

Old 01-12-2006 | 10:21 AM
I found that trying different levels, the tire size mysteriously changed. I suggest whenever doing any tuning to always check the tire size shown on the Edge.

Old 01-12-2006 | 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Newt
I found that trying different levels, the tire size mysteriously changed. I suggest whenever doing any tuning to always check the tire size shown on the Edge.

Hey Newt, I see you are on GoodSam as well,,,,,NJcampers over there for me. I guess you have extra timeon your hands as well!!

Old 01-12-2006 | 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by campinfamily
Hey Newt, I see you are on GoodSam as well,,,,,NJcampers over there for me. I guess you have extra timeon your hands as well!!

Yeah We were going to take the trailer & leave in the early AM for Fredericksburg. First chance to really check out the Edge towing. Then a little medical problem popped up. Went to the hosp for an ultrasound & some idiot had put 12 12 06 instead of 1 12 06. Now I get to go for ultrasound in the morning. I had already cancelled our reservations. I didn't think 6 hours of driving would be good for what ails me.

Old 01-12-2006 | 05:53 PM

$5 says I could pump about 4 more gallons in that tank.

Old 01-12-2006 | 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
I am finding it to be just the opposite. Over the past 2 years of driving my truck, while passing those stationary radar boxes (don't know what they're actually called) it has always shown a few mph over what the radar has shown. Now, with the Edge, the Edge display is 2-3 mph below what the speedometer reads and I tend to believe that the Edge is more accurate.

After lurking on this forum for 2 years, I finally recently started posting, mainly because of my interest in the Edge. I have been thinking about a tuner for 2 years and while I definately considered the XCAL2 and wholeheartedly believe a custom tune can and should yield more in performance vs. a canned tune I could not convince myself that the gains would be enough for me. When the Edge came out with all of the display options as well as the ability to modify the shifting and other parameters, I was all over it. Spent one whole night reading through all the posts and made the purchase. To be honest, the next day I was wondering what I had just done, I purchased a tuner on what I believed it could do without waiting for any verification. I have yet to have much time using the Edge, I have only been running the level 2 tune, but coming into this with low expectations on performance, I am pleasantly surprised at the difference I can "feel" while driving my truck.
So far so good.
Ditto, I ordered my Edge about an hour ago........

Quick Reply: Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!