Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by CCRider
Ditto, I ordered my Edge about an hour ago........

Without measuring anything, I wonder how much of the increased performance feel is just the improved throttle response?

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by tbizzle
$5 says I could pump about 4 more gallons in that tank.

Dont i have a 30 gallon tank???? Actually, i thought it was a 27 gallon... $5 whole dollars??? That's a BET!

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Newt
Without measuring anything, I wonder how much of the increased performance feel is just the improved throttle response?
Ultimately, isn't that all we're looking for, a little more "Driveability". It's still a 6000 pound pick up.... I'm fortunate to have a car that is performance oriented. I just want a bit crisper performance from my F-150, sporty it ain't.........

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:35 PM
|
My mom drove my truck with the edge and said "that thing will fly". My mom has driven daily
1. 1969 Boss 302
2. a V8 Pinto
3. !985 Mustang GT 5speed
4. 1991 MArk 7 LSC
5. 2006 Mustang GT Conv.

Not scientific by any means but she has driven some quick and sporty cars in her day. I thought i would throw that in.

Old 01-13-2006 | 11:47 PM
Well, initially I ordered the Edge to simply correct my speedometer/odometer with the 35s installed.

I'm still skeptical about the performance gains by simply adding the tuner, but from what I have read these last few minutes, I am MORE than excited about seeing it firsthand!

I think you've heard me complain on more than one instance about how lethargic I find my FX4 to be. For the ratings Ford gives the 5.4, I've been thinking they installed a boat anchor by mistake.

Old 01-14-2006 | 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by runnerbl
gobra...no I don't mean just "you" Please tell me the purpose of you starting a new thread when this one already exists Edge Evolution initial impressions

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that "your" intial impression would pertain to that thread. That is the purpose for people to post in one thread...makes it easier for one stop shop....What if everyone started a new thread with every mod they did..Can you imagine how hard and frustrating it would be to search others experiences to help new members in making and educated decision? It would be tough. Again, I am not casting stones, just trying to help myself and others..BTW...I am glad you had a positive experience with the edge....

You have GOT to be kidding? there are about a zillion posts relating experiences from the Xcal2...I don't think 2 is out of line for Edge...lol.

Old 02-02-2006 | 02:08 AM
After reading several posts and seeing some concerns regarding 0-60 times, tire size questions and a general confusion about the speedometer, let me try to answer your questions.

As you may have guessed, any performance figures including fuel economy rely 100% an the accuracy of the speedometer/odometer. If it is off, everything is off. Okay, so that's not exactly brain surgery, but how the PCM calculates vehicle speed is a bit tricky and depends in large part on user input.

When the vehicle's PCM is programmed from the factory, it has a special section in it (called the VID Block) that contains information such as PATS, tire size, gear ratio, timing retard mode and fuel type. Under normal conditions or when programming to a non-customized level the PCM uses these values to control certain parameters. The problems come when changing tire size or gear ratio.

In order to be able to allow for custom tire size and gear ratio options, the Evolution disables the VID Block and reverts to the default values in the calibration itself. Unfortunately, these values have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the original values located in the VID Block. They are arbitrary values used basically as a default should the VID Block become corrupted. This is where all the confusion starts. Most trucks seem to come up with 2926mm as the "default", although the actual default is more in the area of 2476mm. We are looking into resolving this, but at this time there is no fix. Basically, the same thing goes for gear ratio, although the "default" value is 3.73 which shouldn't be a problem for most folks.

Now, here's a couple tricks to setting custom options....
  1. Custom Changes

If you don't need to change it, DON'T! In most cases leaving a custom option untouched will revert to the normal values for the level you are using. The only exception to this is (of course) tire size and gear ratio. Because of the way they must be handled, if you set one, you must set the other. Otherwise your speedometer will be significantly off (as much as 20%).

2. Custom Defaults

When the unit is plugged in, all the custom option defaults are read from the PCM. When you go into custom programming options, these are the default values displayed, NOT what the defaults for a particular level are. Now pay close attention... You can program to a particular level (without custom options), disconnect the unit from the OBDII port, reconnect and then all the programmed levels values become the default custom options. Pretty sneaky, eh? Do keep in mind that any time you disconnect the unit any custom option values will disappear. This is unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

3. Reload Custom Defaults

Whenever you go into a programming session where you have already made custom changes, ALWAYS make sure you go to "Load Previous Settings" BEFORE you change any values. Otherwise, your previous changes will be lost, at least for any parameter you viewed before reloading. Again, this is unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Okay, one quick word about the speedometer. Well, maybe not so quick. The speedometer and the Evolution get their signal from the exact same place... the PCM. On practically every truck we've tested (regardless of tire size / gear ratio setting) the speedometer reads 1-2 MPH higher than the value coming from the PCM (and subsequently the Evolution). Given the analog nature of the speedometer, we just accept this as normal. We have speed tested with both our Dyno and a GPS and have been dead on with the Evolution MPH while the speedometer is 1-2 MPH high (always high for some strange reason). Even the factory scan tool indicates a discrepancy. However, the odometer being digital does read out correctly despite the variance in the speedometer. Again, it all falls back to setting tire size and gear ratio correctly.

And finally, when doing performance runs the timer starts when the first pulse is picked up from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (basically, when the driveshaft moves enough to register a MPH value). With this in mind, and with tire size and gear ratio being equal, wheel slip is the largest determining factor in inaccurate performance readings. Also, don’t change tire size or gear ratio between runs. This will throw off any values. If you want to compare stock and a level, do not use the tire size or gear ratio options at all. This will ensure the use of the values that match the stock original values.

Last thought before I split – I don’t get on here very much so PLEASE don’t post a question on here expecting a response from me. It might be weeks before I come through here again and I don’t want anyone to feel slighted or ignored because I didn’t respond to a question someone asked. It’s happened before and everyone ends up feeling bad, including myself.

Anyway, take care and keep the shiny side up.

Old 02-02-2006 | 02:18 AM
Oh, and don't forget to tune in to Edge Radio on Thursday night. Call in and get your questions answered once and for all.

http://www.edgeradio1.com

We don't have the number available just yet, but tune in and we'll broadcast it.

Recommended players (In order)

WinAMP - available free at http://www.winamp.com/player/free.php

Windows Media Player (WMP) - Should be on your PC already. Open WMP, press Ctrl-U (or go to [File] -> [Open URL]) and type in one of the following stream addresses:

24K - http://24k.edgeradio1.com (for Dial-up connections)
48K - http://48k.edgeradio1.com (for Medium speed connections)
96K - http://96k.edgeradio1.com (High Speed - Best Quality)

Take care.

Last edited by ASEMechanic; 06-25-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2006 | 11:14 AM
I get my Edge today..........man oh man....where the hell is the FedEx guy? Com'on hurry up.......I wanna ride. I will post back here after the install.

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info ASE.

Old 02-02-2006 | 12:35 PM
Well as you can see from my previous post time, I got to eat lunch and the Edge was delivered during that time. It only took a few minutes to read over the manual. I then got the upgrades from Edge's website and loaded the #2 tune in.

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW !! I was really impressed with the #2 tune. I can't wait until I can load the number 3 in. I was never able to burn rubber, but I can from a dead stop. My fastest 0-60 was 7.10 with wheel spin. Did not get a chance to run the 1/4 mile yet. I had a Diablo Predator before and it did not get the gains this thing does. I think for the money I paid for this thing, it was really worth it. (339) So if you are thinking about buying one, think no more and get this one my friend. Can't wait to play with this thing a little more.

Old 02-02-2006 | 07:49 PM
I got mine today but because I had the PCM flashed in Octotber, I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to use it That's when tech support will have an updated file for my truck

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:39 AM
Got Edge Evolution yesterday

I got my Evolution yesterday and installed it in my truck. I set it for level 2 right now because I still have some 87 octane left in my tank. However, I have an issue with the tire size. My truck came with 20" wheels and 275/55 tires.

I checked the gear ratio, which was set for 3:73 - OK, but the tire size was wrong by my calculations, so I set it to 2564 and saved it. The speedo seems about 1-2 mph higher than the Edge, which is normal, but when I go back and look at the setting for the tires it tells me it is 2926. I reset it to 2564 but it seems to keep changing back for some reason.

Has anyone else seen this ?

Colin

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by nhfx4
...so I set it to 2564 and saved it. The speedo seems about 1-2 mph higher than the Edge, which is normal, but when I go back and look at the setting for the tires it tells me it is 2926. I reset it to 2564 but it seems to keep changing back for some reason.
When you go back into the custom settings, are you selecting "Load Previous Settings" first? You MUST do that first or any custom settings will not be loaded or displayed. The menuing will revert back to the "default" settings. I know it's a bit confusing, but unfortunately there was no way around it if we wanted to be able to do all the programming with only 1 key cycle. I will continue to see if there is a better approach to handling custom option menuing.

Also, because it was mentioned somwhere, we are working on updating the instruction manual. As soon as it's finished it will be posted on the Edge website. We will also try to get the "cheat sheet" put together and posted as well.

Have a good weekend and keep it rockin'!

Bill

Last edited by ASEMechanic; 02-04-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2006 | 12:24 PM
ASEMechanic,

Quick question, when I go to customize a tune are the settings that default the settings that you have preprogrammed from Edge? I ask because these settings (at least for level 2) have been different for the different updates (I am talking about the settigs you can see...e.g. WOT shifts, rev limiter, etc.)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!