Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 09:39 PM
ASEMechanic,

Thanks man for all your hard work! I can't wait to apply this update (okcm6) and experience what everyone else has already!

Old 02-07-2006 | 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by kmk
ASEMechanic

With all of the changes you have done to the Edge program was you still able to maintain the same perfomance you started out with?
Actually, other than a few shifting issues, there have been no major changes to the tuning of the calibration files so there really isn't any impact on overall performance. Most of the changes have actually been firmware changes to correct a couple of issues, and of course the WOT shifting issue. I do have one more thing to look at (over firm downshifts) although I think I may have that problem isolated as well. Again, being a shifting shouldn't have any effect on the overall performance of the vehicle.

My F150 is running just as strong as ever... In fact, it feels stronger now that there is about 4500 miles on the clock and it's had a little time to break in. Talk about a rough birth. Went straight from the Dealer to the Dyno.

Anyway, I hear that soft pillow calling my name. Catch y'all later.

Bill

Old 02-07-2006 | 11:26 PM
I finally got mine to update tonight...can't wait to try it tomorrow!!!

Old 02-07-2006 | 11:42 PM
Anyone know what timing correlates to the Octane level on the new Edge Updates????? Thanks.

Old 02-07-2006 | 11:42 PM
kmk
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
How about 15.13et@96.7mph ~ 04 Screw with a 3:55 posi

Did you custom tune your Edge? How did you achieve theses numbers?

Last edited by kmk; 02-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2006 | 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by TX-FX-4
Anyone know what timing correlates to the Octane level on the new Edge Updates????? Thanks.
Roughly 1 degree per 2 octane.

Level 3 (basically 91 octane tune) running 93 = +1 deg.
Level 2 (basically 87 octane tune) running 93 = +3 deg.

Level 3 running 100/101 = +5 deg. (This is for the rich guys!)

These are ideal values at sea level. At altitude, you should be able to add another degree per 2500 ft.

5000 ft. = +2 deg.

Just so you know, I can run level 3, +3 deg at 4500 ft with 91 octane. 4 to 4.5 degrees gets me a nice rattle on heavy throttle tip-in (low RPM throttle stomp) but actually drives quite nicely on the highway giving me another +.25 to +.5 MPG at 70 MPH versus +3 degrees timing.

I hope this helps a little.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Roughly 1 degree per 2 octane.

Level 3 (basically 91 octane tune) running 93 = +1 deg.
Level 2 (basically 87 octane tune) running 93 = +3 deg.

Level 3 running 100/101 = +5 deg. (This is for the rich guys!)

These are ideal values at sea level. At altitude, you should be able to add another degree per 2500 ft.

5000 ft. = +2 deg.

Just so you know, I can run level 3, +3 deg at 4500 ft with 91 octane. 4 to 4.5 degrees gets me a nice rattle on heavy throttle tip-in (low RPM throttle stomp) but actually drives quite nicely on the highway giving me another +.25 to +.5 MPG at 70 MPH versus +3 degrees timing.

I hope this helps a little.

Bill
so would you go to -2 if you were running 87 octane on a level 3 tune(for example??) or can you run 93 octane on the level 3 tune and leave the timing alone?? or 87-91 octane on level 2 and leave the timing alone??
Thanks

Old 02-08-2006 | 12:56 AM
Best advice I can give.... When in doubt, leave it alone.

The level 2 program was tuned with 87 octane fuel. The level 3 program was tuned with 91 octane fuel. The timing tables are specifically set up for those fuels. If you want to run 87, then run the level 2 program. If you want to run 91+, use level 3.

The only reason there is any timing adjust is to allow for some slight modifications based on local fuel quality, elevation changes or the chance that the vehicle may see some "weekend" action running 100 octane at the local 1320 footer (660 foot, for the less fortunate). If you are fairly knowledgeable and want to tweak, that's what it's there for. Of course any time you make timing changes you need to be very aware of detonation (pinging) particularly at low RPM / heavy load (lugging) situations as this seems to be the most common situation for detonation. The rule of thumb is to add timing a little at a time until you JUST hear detonation (again, usually in a lugging situation). Then back off 1 full degree or 2 degrees if you pull heavy loads. Without a dyno, that’s about as good as you can get.

For most people the standard settings should be just fine. All our dyno runs are made with the standard settings and no custom options. In fact, the custom options didn't even exist at the time the calibrations were built. The only change made to the vehicle when tuning was the fuel in the tank. The calibrations were then tuned appropriately, adjustments were made for sea-level and there you have it.

While you could run level 3 and back the timing off 2 degrees, why bother? Level 2 gives better fuel economy (usually) and doesn't run quite as rich at WOT as level 3 does. There are a few other subtle differences which are used to extract as much performance as possible out of level 3 but taking 2 degrees out will certainly have an adverse affect on performance and leave you darn close to level 2 anyway.

I hope this helps. If it doesn’t, wait for the movie.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 01:06 AM
Thank you for the replies. It makes alot of sense. Since I am somewhat of a perfectionist, I liked putting the tuner to 88 Octane if that is what I put in the tank or 92 octane if that is what I filled the tank with. It seems that there is alot of adjustability and that is great. So the baseline is 87 for level 2 and 91 for level 3.So I can run 87- 91 octane on level 2 and leave it alone or 91-96 on level 3 and leave it alone. And so forth, I just wanted to understand a little better the timing adjustments so that I won't screw something up.( I guess I just won't mess with it to the extremes) I'll use the table you posted earlier as a base if I get some higher octance(race fuel).Thank you very much.

On another note. I read a member who stated that his transmission gave out. 3rd and 4th gear are no longer working and he had to tow his truck to the dealer. He says he had edge on the truck for about a week. could there have been something in the tuning that could have caused this problem or issue?? just curious. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006 | 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Here's a suggestion… Why don't you let me know what you PCM code is so I can get it done. Gee, that'd be much easier than complaining. I do answer e-mails as most of the other people on here have realized and it does help me to understand which of the calibrations on my list are the most urgent and which ones I can hold off on.
It has worked since the end of last week. I submitted all my information on 02-Jan-06 including the attachment, hex code, hardware info. And this email was both sent to kenny and the "tech" email.

And after i got this working the tranny wot shifts are jerky and inconsistant. Even backing down all shifts to -25 they suck. You might want to fix this for other users with the same cal code; as now i have discountinued use it was so bad.

I would love to sell this thing. But my main problem is that i dont want some idiot coming back to me saying the product i sold him broke his truck.

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:00 AM
TX

I'd be extremely surprised to find that the Evolution had relation to your friends transmission problem. We have 3 F150s, 2 of which had the Evo since day 1 and another that has had an Evo since about 1000 miles. The last one is also lifted on 36" tires and is used to pull a snowmobile trailer through the mountains. All three have been severly beaten on both the dyno and the street and none driven harder than mine. (I beat the crap outta this poor thing.) We haven't had any problems other than the 1-2 WOT / rev limiter issue, and that was only on my truck.

I would be curious to find out his vehicle info (Year, model, etc.) and calibration code. If there is an issue, I'd like to be able to keep a log of it so I can track and isolate any patterns. If you can, have him e-mail me his info.

asinatra,

Would you mind forwarding me the e-mail you sent Kenny? I'd like to make sure that I have a copy of it (I am sure I already do) and also to isolate your e-mail from the 2 dozen or so update requests I recieved. I'd really like to find out what the issues are with your truck and whether they are an isolated incident or not.

Thanks.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:00 AM
Got my edge today-super simple installation.I have only driven it 4 miles but can definantly feel the difference.The question I have is about the hex code-mine is RXCM5 and I see that the RXCM3 was just updated.This truck was just reflashed at the dealer,Will or is there a need for an update on this newer code?Or as the saying goes-If it aint broke dont fix it...

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:45 AM
Cypress,

All calibrations go in alphabetical/numerical order. RXCM5 is later (newer) then RXCM3 so you already have the latest calibration.

Most of the time "If it ain't broke..." is a good rule to live by, especially with calibrations. However, I will say that I have found issues with some of the early '04 calibrations (OKAP9, RXAP7 & RXAP9) that seem to have been resolved with dealer updates. If anyone has one of those calibrations, you'd do well to get updated.

Catch ya later.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 11:07 AM
It has worked since the end of last week.
What fixed it?

And after i got this working the tranny wot shifts are jerky and inconsistant
Did you fix something or what is a download of an update?

Old 02-08-2006 | 12:03 PM
All i have to say is WOW..after a long and hard fight at times my Edge now works and works really well....After i got to talk with Aaron C. he fixed all of my problems including a fried PCM and a bad tuner. After it finally programmed my PCM it really woke the truck up. It is like i bought a new truck. THANKS EDGE AND ESPICALLY Aaron C. for the great service and support... 2 thumbs up!!!

Quick Reply: Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!