Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 12:06 PM
expy,

I think he got the update v12 (OKAP9, RXAP7 or RXAP9) which got his unit working.

As for the shifting, I don't know what the dealio is. As soon as I can get more information from him, I'll take a look.

Laterz.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 01:39 PM
Thanks Bill,

Gotta friend that has a 4.6 and is looking to buy a tuner. I'll give him the green light for the EDGE.

Old 02-08-2006 | 04:04 PM
I downloaded the lastest calibration files (OKMC*) 2 hours ago, then programmed in level 2 and noticed a big difference in the shifting and acceleration. Is level 2 good for everyday driving?

Old 02-08-2006 | 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
What fixed it?
Did you fix something or what is a download of an update?
The update from last week.

...but i wouldn't say it is fixed, the only way to fix it now is uninistall it and put it in the trash or maybe i can get a bunch of them and make a brick wall.

Old 02-08-2006 | 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
The update from last week.

...but i wouldn't say it is fixed, the only way to fix it now is uninistall it and put it in the trash or maybe i can get a bunch of them and make a brick wall.
If you don't like it and don't want it then why post here and complain about it. It does no good. Is there anything that makes you happy. ASE is trying to help out. He can't fix what he didn't know about. Obviously you have never been in the business world. Sometimes stuff falls through the crack. Or maybe you have never made a mistake. Don't know..I don't live in a world like that. What I do know is that when someone is honestly trying to help and the get a ****ty attitude than as far as I'm concerned they can kiss my ****. Some people you can't make happy no matter what you do. I am getting the impression that you are one of those people, so why bother. It is nothing but time wasted...and as we all know..time equates to dollars. Sometimes you just have to write a customer off because of reasons beyond your control. If ASE can't fix the problem then I am sure they will try to compensate for it. There is a 2 year warranty on the item. JMO of course...but I'm sure others feel the same way. Not slamming....put the shoe on the other foot and see what you would do (realistically...)

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:16 PM
ASEMechanic (or anyone else that might know),

I am still little unclear about the default values that come up when custom tuning. I know you said the values come up "Stock", but that surely can't be all of them....right? For example, I want to (need to) change the tire size on level 3. Also, I would like to bump the timing a little because I am running 93 octane (instead of 91). I pretty much would like everything else to stay the way it was programmed from Edge. Now, I can change the rev limiter, WOT shift points, and such....................but here is where I am still unclear.......is the timing defaulted to stock also?.......if so, I would have to bump it up quite a bit running 93. If not, I guess I would be fine.

Surely if one wants to change tire size or timing (because they have 93 available instead of 91)........ they don't lose all the Edge programming........and have to set all the parameters themselves.....right? I'm guessing there is more to the programs than the available user enabled tuning parameters?

Just need to know......when going to do a custom tune........are all the default values and (0) baselines the "Stock" values? I am thinking not and would really like to know which are "Stock" and which are "Edge Tuned".

I hope this wasn't written in the manual or explained already......I might start feeling like a moron.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:43 PM
Edge ordered! Can't wait

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:40 PM

Last edited by TX-FX-4; 02-08-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2006 | 09:47 PM
I’ll try to make it as clear and understandable as I can....

When you load a calibration and go into custom options, ONLY the options you change are adjusted. Depending on the parameter, there are certain ways they are modified.

All adders or % modifiers work off of the modified (tuned) programs. The following parameters are adders or % modifiers:

Timing
Shift points
Shift pressures
Idle Speed

Now, assume stock timing = x, level 2 timing = y and level 3 timing = z

If you did level 2 and added 2 degrees timing, you would end up with y+2 degrees.
If you did level 3 and removed 3 degrees timing, you would end up with z-3 degrees.

All parameter that are fixed values are specifically set to the user’s desired value. The following parameters are fixed values:

WOT Fuel
Speed Limiter
RPM
WOT Shifts
Tire Size
Gear Ratio

Assuming that you connected the unit to an unprogrammed vehicle, the values you encounter in the custom options are going to be the stock PCM values, not the tuned values. Again, the only exceptions to this rule are Tire Size and Gear Ratio (which have been explained elsewhere). If you want to make custom modifications to fixed values based on a tuned calibration, you will have to program the PCM to that level, disconnect and reconnect the unit, and then go into the custom settings for that particular level. Because of the way we have to handle key cycles, it was the only way to program the PCM with only 1 key off / key on cycle and still have valid values for the custom settings.

I posted earlier the default tuned values for WOT Shifts and RPM. The other defaults are as follows….

Speed Limiter - All = Vehicle default (between 94 and 99 MPH)
WOT Fuel - Trans = 1.1, Tow = 1.3, Race = 1.5
Gear Ratio - All = Whatever the Calibration default is (No relation to what the vehicle was originally set at)
Tire Size - All = Whatever the Calibration default is (No relation to what the vehicle was originally set at)

I don’t think I can explain it any better. If you still don’t get it, call Truck Talk tomorrow night and I’ll drill it into your head. Beware though, there will be a final exam at the end and if you fail you won’t be allowed to use the custom options!

We are revising the manual right now although it may be a few days because the “manual guy” is out sick. Stupid cold weather around here... What’s that all about?

Again, I hope this helps answer more questions than it creates.

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:13 PM
Post Software Updated

Okay.... I know I'm gonna catch poop from you guys for this one! I'll ask forgiveness now.

There is a an update to the Lightning software. ALL old versions will no longer work. We had to make some changes to the server and all the hard-coded links in the old software (v1.01.0022 and older) will not work. Alas, there is a fairly simple solution.

Right click on this link --> RIGHT CLICK ON ME <-- and select [Save As] or [Save Link As] from the pop-up menu. Save the corresponding file in your C:\Edge Products\Lightning\ folder, overwriting the original file. All should be good after that.

If you have any problems feel free to e-mail me or give Tech Support a call tomorrow. If you want to download the whole install, it is available at F150 Downloads along with the Executable Only link and Update Versions PDF link.

Thanks for not throwing tomatoes or eggs (or watermelons).

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:35 PM
kmk
ASEMechanic

How much information can this little box hold?

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
I’ll try to make it as clear and understandable as I can....

When you load a calibration and go into custom options, ONLY the options you change are adjusted. Depending on the parameter, there are certain ways they are modified.

All adders or % modifiers work off of the modified (tuned) programs. The following parameters are adders or % modifiers:

Timing
Shift points
Shift pressures
Idle Speed

Now, assume stock timing = x, level 2 timing = y and level 3 timing = z

If you did level 2 and added 2 degrees timing, you would end up with y+2 degrees.
If you did level 3 and removed 3 degrees timing, you would end up with z-3 degrees.

All parameter that are fixed values are specifically set to the user’s desired value. The following parameters are fixed values:

WOT Fuel
Speed Limiter
RPM
WOT Shifts
Tire Size
Gear Ratio

Assuming that you connected the unit to an unprogrammed vehicle, the values you encounter in the custom options are going to be the stock PCM values, not the tuned values. Again, the only exceptions to this rule are Tire Size and Gear Ratio (which have been explained elsewhere). If you want to make custom modifications to fixed values based on a tuned calibration, you will have to program the PCM to that level, disconnect and reconnect the unit, and then go into the custom settings for that particular level. Because of the way we have to handle key cycles, it was the only way to program the PCM with only 1 key off / key on cycle and still have valid values for the custom settings.

I posted earlier the default tuned values for WOT Shifts and RPM. The other defaults are as follows….

Speed Limiter - All = Vehicle default (between 94 and 99 MPH)
WOT Fuel - Trans = 1.1, Tow = 1.3, Race = 1.5
Gear Ratio - All = Whatever the Calibration default is (No relation to what the vehicle was originally set at)
Tire Size - All = Whatever the Calibration default is (No relation to what the vehicle was originally set at)

I don’t think I can explain it any better. If you still don’t get it, call Truck Talk tomorrow night and I’ll drill it into your head. Beware though, there will be a final exam at the end and if you fail you won’t be allowed to use the custom options!

We are revising the manual right now although it may be a few days because the “manual guy” is out sick. Stupid cold weather around here... What’s that all about?

Again, I hope this helps answer more questions than it creates.

Bill
Thanks Bill, this is exactly the answer I was looking for.

That is how I thought it worked, but after overthinking things?................well I thought I would just make sure.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:39 PM
How much information can this little box hold?
More power than the cpu aboard the space shuttle!

Old 02-08-2006 | 11:28 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by expy03
More power than the cpu aboard the space shuttle!
Yeah, and no darned floating point bugs either!

We actually have quite a bit of room. We are currently using about 1/4 of the capacity of the unit. Although... You never know what might show up in the options next month... or next week!

Let's just say we don't get much sleep around here and the gears are always turning!

Laterz....

Bill

Old 02-08-2006 | 11:44 PM
Although... You never know what might show up in the options next month... or next week!
Sweeet!!

Is that a hint that more toys will be packed in that little toy box on my dash

Quick Reply: Edge Installed!! WOWWWW!