super chips vs hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super chips vs hypertech

Ive been looking at all the programmers out there and theese two seem to come out on top, but the thing is hypertech advertizes big hp and torque gains while superchips mainly sticks to efficiency, etc.

I just wanted to know if the super chips can get the power gains that hypertech adverizes and viceversa or do they just do different things

Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The power gains Hypertech advertises are bogus. If I were you, I’d do some searching in this forum here before you make a buy.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
i have the hypertech and am overall happy with it. one advantage it has over the other is it has a 87 octane performance tune where the others only have 93 octane settings. it also has all the other features ie calibrate for bigger tires, read trouble codes, firm tranny shift etc.

Old 02-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by moose3776
i have the hypertech and am overall happy with it. one advantage it has over the other is it has a 87 octane performance tune where the others only have 93 octane settings. it also has all the other features ie calibrate for bigger tires, read trouble codes, firm tranny shift etc.
i believe superchips does this as well.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes superchips does as well. I have the 1715 and it has a 87 performance, 91 towing, and 91 performance. It was money well spent in my opinion. I bought mine in the classified section and have been very pleased with it

Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 PM
from superchips website:

Q: Does your product require a higher grade fuel than 87 octane?

A: While some Superchips products give you the choice of running 87 or 91-93 octane fuel, most vehicles require the use of 91- 93 octane fuel to get the advertised increase in Horsepower and Torque output.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You still make good hp tuning for 87 but you get the biggest hp increase tuning for 93, up to twice as much. Custom tuning is the way to go IMO for the biggest bang for the buck

Old 02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi capn kirk,

Thanks for your post!

The fact is that the Superchips products *do*in fact provide nice power gains on 87 octane.

Just FYI - We are the oldest WD of Superchips Inc products in America, and know their products for these vehicles better than virtually anyone else as a result. We have helped develop & test their products for these F-series trucks for years, and in fact, *we* - meaning we here at Troyer Performance - are the company that pioneered dual-octane performance capability in these trucks - everyone else followed our lead on that.

So the actual truth is, Superchips products for these vehicles have had an 87 octane performance mode for years - that is true for the 1996-2006 F-150 in hand-held tuners such as the 1715 for the 1996-2003's, the 1714 for the 2004's, the 1745 for the 2005's, etc. - and in even older F-150's via the 2-program Flip Chip.

To answer your question, no, Hypertech does not make more power in these trucks than Superchips does - if they did, we'd be recommending them instead! We test them every year, and not once has Hypertech come out on top - most manufacturers of performance parts advertise big HP gains, that's their come-on - so in many cases, it's a game of who claims the most HP. But what happens in real life is many times different - for example, in the 1997-2003 V8 F-150, Hypertech averages about a 12-15 HP gain, while Superchips averages about 16-20 Hp gains. We don't care what the name is on the outside, it's the results from the tuning *inside* that counts.

Now all of that being said - for anyone that is actually looking for the best results from tuning for these trucks really should take a look at the Group Buy that we are running right now on our Troyer Performance *custom* tuning, loaded into the most advanced hand-held tuner on the market, the XCalibrator 2 - that is what will actually get the best results, our Troyer Performance *custom* tuning. We have specialized in performance tuning the F-150 longer than anyone else, 14+ years - which is why major chipmakers hire us to come in and help them with some of their applications, as do manufacturers of other types of performance products for these trucks.

F-150 Performance is what we do - we were the first company to specialize in the F-150's performance, and we custom tune more of these trucks than anyone else. On the other hand, we would *not* be the people to go with if you wanted tuning for a Honda, just for example! We're F-150 nuts, that is what we do.

Here is a link that will take you to the info for our Group Buy going on right now, and this is what will get F-150 owners the best results in terms of their performance tuning needs: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227214

I hope that sheds a bit more light on this, & if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a cal at our number listed below.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
The power gains Hypertech advertises are bogus. If I were you, I’d do some searching in this forum here before you make a buy.
I'd have to agree with jpdadeo. I've had Hypertech on Chevys, GMCs and currently on my 04 Hemi Dodge and they don't come close the gains and tuning that I can do on my 98 F150 with a Superchips. If you must go with a canned programmer look at the Edge or Superchips.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Superchips_Distributor, I am glad you posted, as I have seen with other posts, many folks are having trouble with their stock F150's having a hesitation around 40mph when shifting into higher gears (almost like when you drive a stick and shift into gear to early...you get that slight bog down before picking back up). This is mostly when cruising, of course the dealership has no idea for what is wrong even after flashing it and running other tests they still can not figure it out. Some others in this forum have said when they were using the Edge tuner it relieves this issue, have you seen the same with the Superchips? Really in my not so educated opinion I think the tuner fixes it just because it is changing the shift point and RPM's. I need drivability since it is my daily driver and I have to take clients and my family around but I want some more power, to get rid of the hesitation and use 87 octane, this is all allot to ask but any guidance you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I have read that the Hypertec programmers gains only occur on Wide open throttle. While superchips gains are at any throttle position. I would go superchips(if given the choice). Just my .2 cents. Good luck

Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
thanks for the answers i havnt been able to get online lately
i think il probably go with the super chips but its going to be after i get a muffler so im going to keep lookn and askn questions
thanks superchips distributor for the post are the xcal n xcal2 programmers or chips i have heard of them and seen the name around but never really got what they are, sounds like their pre-programmed and u jus plug n go
thanks

Old 02-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just sold my 98 and put my Superchips 1715 programmer on e-bay. Only about a year old and in perfect condition and the price is right. Here is the auction number :
Item number: 8040820190

Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

In order:

For geokar01 - well, kinda-sorta. What I mean is, some tuners do help this in that manner, but it really takes a much more detailed knowledge & approach to what each individual vehicle needs to correct this problem in *every* F-series truck.See, they aren't all set up the same, not by a long shot - the F-150, unlike any other vehicle made, has literally *hundreds* of different PCM revisions every single model year - thus there are some very significant differences between them. Some go up into Overdrive at lower speeds than others, while others have different torque converter lock/unlock schedules - which means to get the best result and driveability, each one really is best off being done via our custom tuning instead of with an "off-the-shelf" type of tuner (even though we sell those types of units, too). So personally, I prefer the benefits of having us to our custom tuning, as that will take care of that problem correctly in all of these vehicles, as well as get the best power & performance gains, best potential for mpg improvements, best overall driveability, etc. They really benefit from being tuned individually to get the best results, and what you are talking about does tend to be very irritating - and not just at 40 mph, but also on the 1-2, to a certain extent on the 2-3, and of course, on the 3-4 shift at light throttle, we don't care for that, either - it's a common complaint of almost all the owners. This is compounded by the varying torque converter lock/unlock schedules, as well as depending upon which automatic transmission the given truck has - so there are a number of factors that are involved in getting the best solution to this. We can take care of that problem best via our custom tuning, and we're running a Group Buy on that right now, in fact - here is a link that will take you to the info for our Group Buy: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227214

Not only is that the best way to take care of that problem, but you will also have the ability (though it is virtually never needed) to make further adjustments to shift points yourself - if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a cal at our number listed below.

For capn kirk: - the XCalibrator 2, and the original XCalibrator, are both what are referred to as hand-held "programmers" - not "chips." Now we can provide our custom tuning in a traditional performance "chip" for owners of 1987 thru 2003 F-150's if they prefer, but the XCalibrator 2 gives you so much more functionality, a much easier installation, etc., that this is really the way to go - and is what over 99% of our customers go with. SO if you have a 2004 or newer F-150,. the XCalibrator 2 is what needs to be used as the PCM must be "flashed," and for the 1987-2003 F-150's a "traditional" performance chip can be used, if the owner prefers.

I hope that info helps gentlemen, & if you would like to go over any of this any further, please don't hesitate to call us at our number listed below - we'll be happy to help, answer any questions, etc.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Mike,
Thanks a ton for the help, I wil lcall you in a few weeks when I am back in the country...the dealership made it seem very much like no one else has an issue when I know that is not true...look forward to working with you soon.

Quick Reply: super chips vs hypertech