Evolution and No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
How about those of us that did not have a problem with this latest update, should we update to this one or are we safe with what we got?

Thanks
Honestly, I'd update again. I can't guarantee that the file you currently have doesn't have some bug in it somewhere. It seems that specific chunks of file were damaged where some cals were affected and others weren't and you might have just gotten lucky.

Take care.

Bill

Old 03-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Bill,

Do we have to do a full installation of the Lightning Software or can we just get the specific update for it?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Here is what I think of Edge updates #@$%^&*&^%$%

Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
Honestly, I'd update again. I can't guarantee that the file you currently have doesn't have some bug in it somewhere. It seems that specific chunks of file were damaged where some cals were affected and others weren't and you might have just gotten lucky.

Take care.

Bill
Thanks Bill,

I'll get that done.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by chasman97
Do we have to do a full installation of the Lightning Software or can we just get the specific update for it?

Thanks
If you already installed v1.02.0114, you can just download the EXE file. If you have anything older than that, you will need the full setup.

Catch ya later.

Bill

Old 03-05-2006, 01:36 AM
To those that have their units programmed to StockWriters, I will try to get in touch with you tomorrow to restore your functionality. If I don't get in touch with you, get ahold of me on Monday.

I dunno if that's people like me, since nobody else posted my problem, but I will leave my Cell on as I sent it via email. I did have a damaged download that rendered the unit useless.

Nates93sten at comcast dot net.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:55 AM

Take care.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I downloaded the latest update.........kinda wish I hadn't. Just got done and thought I would take it for a little spin just to make sure everything was working right. Well as soon as it went to shift to second the truck started stalling and the edge monitor froze. I backed out of it so it wouldn't stall and turned around and parked it in the garage. The funny thing is it was working great, in fact better than ever.

For your info, I customized level 3 to the previous values I had set. My Hex code is RXAQ3B3. I did notice that when I went to check the customized values, I actually had to select the "Load Previous Settings" like earlier versions. I mention this only because with the last update (before this one) when I went into check the values I had customized it automatically loaded the previous setting when I selected a parameter. Oh well, let me know what to do next.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2006, 03:18 AM
If you already installed v1.02.0114, you can just download the EXE file. If you have anything older than that, you will need the full setup.

Catch ya later.

Bill

Bill,

As you can see from my post above I ran into some problems by just updating right from the Lightning software. I thought that I might try to download the full install directly from the Edge website and see if I could reload everything and maybe that would fix things. Well I noticed there was something different right away when I ran the setup file..........there was now a window that popped up that allowed three selections, I believe they were something like Custom install, Repair install, and uninstall. Well I ran the repair install. I then reloaded the firmare and calibration using the "Check for Updates" option in the Lightning software. I haven't checked it on the truck yet, but hopefully that will fix the problem.

Just wanted to let you know that it looks like people should load the full install in order to get the new "Custom, Repair , and Uninstall" options window, which I believe they are suppose to get with the latest update? I will post if this fixes it or not. Might not be till the morning though, it is getting late.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Update: That seemed to do the trick. I customized level 3 and took it out for a test drive......no stall condition.....yaay. Everything seemed to be working OK.

Nates06SCab,
I would give that a try. Go to Edgeproducts.com and follow the links to the Evolution updates. Once you get to the updates page, the very first one is the full install for the lightning software, download that one. Once downloaded, run that setup file and while it is running it pops up a window with install options. One option is "Repair" which is supposed to repair corrupted files, choose that one. Once evrything installs open the lightning software, connect your Edge unit and run the "Check for Updates Option". Reload the latest firmware and Calibration. Might get things fixed for you?
Hope so.

Also, I think the reference "those that have their units programmed to StockWriters" refers to those that had a "no start" condition and were set up to write their stock programs back to there PCM. I'm just guessing this, maybe Bill will get on here and verify that.

Last edited by MosineeFX4; 03-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 AM
nope

I followed your directions and I did not get a pop up window that you descibed!

Edited: I re-ran the set-up again and it did pop up what you described. So did set-up work after running it twice like that?

Last edited by Silverfish; 03-05-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Bill, I have seen flaky Network Adapter drivers cause files to be corrupted when transferred over the network to another machine. I would suggest to always perform a binary file compare when critical files have been moved across a network to another machine.

On windows the following would produce a binary file comparison.
FC /B [drive1:][path1]filename1 drive2:][path2]filename2

If a file compare is not possible due to security use a utility that will produce a crc32 on both the source and destination files.

Another thing to consider would be ZIPping or compressing the setup into another archive format on the source machine and transferring/copying the archive/compressed file to the web server for downloading to the customer's PC. This would possibly create another step for the end user but usually ZIPs and other archive types are handled quite automatically - by windows and mac. Other OS users know what to do so it's no problem for them at all. When the archive is opened and tested or an extraction of the setup file attempted, any file corruption - however slight - would be detected.

If necessary, I can send a utility. When I first encountered a NIC driver problem, a bad driver being the source of the file corruption was not
even considered for over a couple hours as myself and our IT department attemptied to find what was causing strange behavior when trying to run a setup copied from another system on our intranet. That was a first such encounter for all involved. My machine was dual homed and I disabled the primary NIC and reconfigured the idle 2nd NIC as my Intranet interface. The file corruption was history. It was apparent the other interface's driver or the interface itself was flawed. This was an onboard NVidia NIC.

Ron

Last edited by rooster2005; 03-05-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
I followed your directions and I did not get a pop up window that you descibed!

Edited: I re-ran the set-up again and it did pop up what you described. So did set-up work after running it twice like that?
I would think so, when it first saw that window, with the install options, I selected the top one and did the install. Then, I got to thinking and thought that I'd better run the "Repair" one, so I just reran it. Seems to work.......I will be taking it for another drive today and see how everything is.

The one thing that is still there is when I go into customize I still have to use the "Load Previous Settings" selection. Don't know if the 3-1-06 update I had was corrupted or not, but with that update, when i went into do a custom tune it would automatically load the previous settings. Maybe that was an issue and they reverted back? What does everyone else unit do?

Old 03-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
I would think so, when it first saw that window, with the install options, I selected the top one and did the install. Then, I got to thinking and thought that I'd better run the "Repair" one, so I just reran it. Seems to work.......I will be taking it for another drive today and see how everything is.
I've got a question. Last night I updated with the 15 and 17a files. Prior to that I did the full Lightning install (re-install actually), but without the "repair" window coming up. So, I read your post and this morning I did the lightning software load, the window for the three options came up and I did the repair option, then I decided to re-update my Evo, just to be sure. The first thing that came up was,
The file 'stock.bin' was not located on the Evolution.
The file 'vid.bin' was not located on the Evolution.

One or more files were not located. This may present
a problem with trying to recover a disabled vehicle.
It went through after that and said that the 15 and 17a updates were good. But, I'm worried about this stock and vid.bin message. I called Bill at Edge and left a message. It's like 9am on Sunday morning here. Does this "not located" message always show up? I can't remember. Truck staying stock until I'm sure.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I updated the Lightning Software to v1.02.0143. If you go to the version information pdf on the Edge Products web site it shows the latest update (03/04/2006) as being v1.02.141? I'm wondering if there were two updates to the software and they haven't shown the latest one on the version information page?

Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by CO FX4
I've got a question. Last night I updated with the 15 and 17a files. Prior to that I did the full Lightning install (re-install actually), but without the "repair" window coming up. So, I read your post and this morning I did the lightning software load, the window for the three options came up and I did the repair option, then I decided to re-update my Evo, just to be sure. The first thing that came up was,

It went through after that and said that the 15 and 17a updates were good. But, I'm worried about this stock and vid.bin message. I called Bill at Edge and left a message. It's like 9am on Sunday morning here. Does this "not located" message always show up? I can't remember. Truck staying stock until I'm sure.
Did you update your unit and not hook it back up to the truck and then update it again. I'm thinking, if thats the case that it did not have your stock and vid info from the truck. I would try hooking the edge up to the truck and then try the updates again (I would think you would not have to reload the Lightning software). I believe you get a message that says your firmware and calibration are up to date, but it gives you the option to reload them. I'm thinking if you do that that it will save the stock and vid info files. I think you can also just select the "Read Stock Calibration" in the Utilities drop down of the Lightning software to do the same thing. I think they put the the automated stock and vin read for those that may not do it otherwise.

I have a suggestion for the guys at Edge: I think it would be very helpful to post a couple paragraphs in the version info PDF that explained how to use changes to new versions.........very helpful.

Quick Reply: Evolution and No Start