Evolution and No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4

The one thing that is still there is when I go into customize I still have to use the "Load Previous Settings" selection. Don't know if the 3-1-06 update I had was corrupted or not, but with that update, when i went into do a custom tune it would automatically load the previous settings. Maybe that was an issue and they reverted back? What does everyone else unit do?
I noticed the same thing and was going to ask if anybody else noticed....I like how 3-1-06 update automatically loaded the pervious settings. I also noticed a glitch with the way it is now. If you go and load previous settings and just look.....(double check your tune settings) and back out without loading it will not show the next time you load previous settings. So you do not know what you are at w/settings.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Did you update your unit and not hook it back up to the truck and then update it again. I'm thinking, if thats the case that it did not have your stock and vid info from the truck. I would try hooking the edge up to the truck and then try the updates again (I would think you would not have to reload the Lightning software). I believe you get a message that says your firmware and calibration are up to date, but it gives you the option to reload them. I'm thinking if you do that that it will save the stock and vid info files. I think you can also just select the "Read Stock Calibration" in the Utilities drop down of the Lightning software to do the same thing. I think they put the the automated stock and vin read for those that may not do it otherwise.
Yes, I updated the unit without hooking it to my truck the second time. I'm leary of hooking it up and hoping that it will read my stock and vid info. In my data file in the lightning software, my stock and vid files are there from when I updated last night and previously. Do you know of anyway to use those files and restore them to the Evo unit? I tried the "read stock calibration" but it gives me the same message of "not located." So if I could get it to recognize those files in the data folder, I would feel more comfortable hooking it back up to my truck.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I just loaded the 03/04 update, installed on level 3 in truck, still stalls when trying to shift into second, same as the 03/01 update caused.
Hex: OKCM3A3. Loaded back to stock for now again.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:41 PM
tire size?

The edge is showing the wrong tire size still. I have 255 65 17 and should be 2398mm and the edge shows 2476mm which is a tire size of 255 70 17 .That is 3.3% off. How big a deal is this? How do I know if this is from my stock program? I changed the tire size and did not notice any change. Just curious.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Red05stx
I just loaded the 03/04 update, installed on level 3 in truck, still stalls when trying to shift into second, same as the 03/01 update caused.
Hex: OKCM3A3. Loaded back to stock for now again.

Did you load the update from the lightning software?

If you did that might be your problem. Go load the whole set-up file from edge's site.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:49 PM
error on evo?

I got a error on the evo of Oxd2 while trying to load tune 2, what does it mean? I reloaded the tune and have not had any problems.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Bill?! Wake up! We need you

Old 03-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
The edge is showing the wrong tire size still. I have 255 65 17 and should be 2398mm and the edge shows 2476mm which is a tire size of 255 70 17 .That is 3.3% off. How big a deal is this? How do I know if this is from my stock program? I changed the tire size and did not notice any change. Just curious.

If you customize any level you have to set the tire size. Bill explained this in some thread some time ago. I guess it has something to do with the tire size and gear ratios and where they are located in the file or something like that.....anyway, they do not default to the stock settings.

I actually measured mine (the 3 rotation method). I also ran the truck programmed to stock and used the RPM reading off the Edge at 70mph to back calculate what the stock program tire size was. For example, at 70mph in overdrive, on the stock program level, my rpm is 1960rpm. My gear ratio is 3.73 and the tranny ratio for overdrive is .7 and 1 mile = 1609344 mm.

So stock tire size in mm =

(mph/rpm X gear ratio X tranny ratio X mm/mile)/60

=(70/1960 X 3.73 X .7 X 1609344)/60

= 2501mm (stock setting for my truck)

The estimated size for my tires is 2559mm (from manual), the measured (3 rotation method) value is 2478 mm, and the calculated size used for the stock program is 2501mm.

The 2478mm is the most accurate, I only did the stock calculation so I could use it when puting in a custom tune to get an accurate comparison between my stock tune and whatever custom tune I had programmed. (I also was just curious what size the stock program used.)

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
i to tried the update from the edge site and got the dreaded almost stall condition....i originally choose the second option on the update page....so i am in the process of loading the exe. setup as we speak.....will see what happens. mine is an 04 rxa hex if i remember....will put that in when i go back out to the truck to see if the new setup exe works.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
Did you load the update from the lightning software?

If you did that might be your problem. Go load the whole set-up file from edge's site.
I unistalled any previous version of software from my computer and re downloaded the entire thing brand new today. No change, still stalls.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by CO FX4
Bill?! Wake up! We need you
Yeesh! Can't a fella get some sleep around here??

Okay, I saw about a zillion questions and I'll try to get them answered.

1) Software version in the PDF file got fat-fingered. It's supposed to read 1.02.0143. I'll fix it.

2) If you update the Evolution and then re-update without programming the PCM, there will NOT be a "stock.bin" or a "vid.bin" file in the unit. This is normal. These files only appear after programming a vehicle (meaning that they were read from the PCM during the first programming session). Also, we generally only need the VID file to recover a PCM as we have pretty much all of the stock calibrations already. The reason I ask for the stock file is to help determine the nature of the failure.

3) When setting custom options, it is not necessary to change tire size or gear ratio unless you need to correct for non-stock tires. However, due to the way the custom options are handled if you even VIEW a custom option (regardless of whether you change it or not) it is considered the same as SETTING a custom option. I am looking for a way around that, but for now that's how it is.

4) When changing tire size and gear ratio, the default values ARE NOT related to what the ACTUAL values are in the PCM. They are simply generic values used basically as a placeholder. You must calculate the values of the tires to determine the correct value to put in for your tire size. As MosineeFX4 pointed out, the most accurate method is the 3-Turn method as it actually relates to how the tire moves across a surface and takes into account "squish", or the slight diameter change of the tire as it flattens against a surface.

5) Error code 0xD2 means that a message between the PCM and Evolution was not supported. This is usually caused by "noise" and only relates to Diagnostic messages such as request or clear DTCs or for specific PCM information.

6) I am looking into the "Stalling into 2nd" issue on the OKCM3 and possibly other codes. Not sure what's going on there but will get a look at it this afternoon.

7) The "Load Previous Settings" menu option has been returned. We found a problem in the way it was being handled and had to revert that particular function back to the way it was. What we are planning to do is actually try to do a setup where it will automatically load the previous setting and have a menu option for "Load Default Settings" instead, but I want to make sure we have all the other problems resolved first.

8) I think we have determined the nature of the file corruption and we are currently performing rigorous testing to verify the failure and get it resolved. Rooster, thanks for your tips. The first thing that came to mind was a NIC problem and while I am not ruling that out, I don't think that's the problem. As near as we can tell, it was a problem with the FTP server software itself. Isn't IP fun!?!?

9) The Restore Evolution is indeed for those that had No-Starts. I would like to determine the 2nd Gear Stall before I got those folks recovered. I expect I should have it resolved by Monday and get those units up and running again.

Gotta run for now. As you can guess, I have a lot to do today. Again, I'll be checking e-mails. If anyone is having any problems, specifically a No-Start, I'll be available to help. Otherwise, please hold as many questions as you can until Monday.

Thanks!

Bill

Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks!!!

Thanks for answering all the questions!

Old 03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
hey bill, i have the latest updates via the edge site....redownloaded the entire program (did it a second time and got the do i want the fix or download whole program prompt.) i elected for the fix.....my hex is RXAQ5B4
mine basically falls on its face right after a shift....1-2 went ok at 1st then fell going 2-3.....then started moving again from a stop and got it falling on its face at 1-2 shift. this was level 3.....running same setup as before without any problem till the update. i am back to stock and running for now....looking forward to your fix....thanks.

vid_20060305_160540.bin stock_20060305_141121.bin

Last edited by jims94vmx; 03-05-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
hey bill, i have the latest updates via the edge site....redownloaded the entire program (did it a second time and got the do i want the fix or download whole program prompt.) i elected for the fix.....my hex is RXAQ5B4
mine basically falls on its face right after a shift....1-2 went ok at 1st then fell going 2-3.....then started moving again from a stop and got it falling on its face at 1-2 shift. this was level 3.....running same setup as before without any problem till the update. i am back to stock and running for now....looking forward to your fix....thanks.

vid_20060305_160540.bin stock_20060305_141121.bin
Wow, I wonder what is going on. When I had the 3-01-06 update loaded, everything worked great, in fact I felt the truck ran as good as ever. Well, just to be safe, and by reccomendation from Bill, I updated again from the software last night. Loaded and customized level 3, got a block from my driveway and the truck went into stall condition (when it was shifting from 1-2). Turned around and brought it back home. Reloaded the full install and ran the repair program, reloaded the firmware and calibration and have been running around all day without a problem (on kevel 3 customized). All seems good. I wonder why the repair and reload procedure worked for me, but not for others. Oh well, I'm sure Bill will get it worked out. I bet I'll be downloading another update soon?, which is OK.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Unhappy

I wonder why the repair and reload procedure worked for me, but not for others.
I am wondering the same thing myself....

Quick Reply: Evolution and No Start