Evolution and No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jims94vmx
i also tried going to 1.7 on the wot fuel and 1.5 on the timing (about 500 ft above sea level 93 oct. fuel)....no pinging, should this be done?
Jim,

As long as there is no detonation, you should be fine on the timing. However, unless you have exhaust and air intake modifications, 1.7 on the WOT fuel might be a tad much. Usually around 1.4 seems to deliver best reults for a stock setup and 1.55 to 1.6 would be good for exhaust and intake (for you altitude, anyway). I tend to err a little on the rich side myself. After all, better rich than lean.

Glad to hear everything else is humming along.

Bill

Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Talking All good! question for ya...

Updated 1 hour ago and took it out for a run and all is fine on level 2 (RXCM4DZ). Thanks!

Bill you posted this on 2/02/06 and I am confused about "Custom Defaults" (number 2). Can you see the stock tire size if I load tune 2 without customizing it by unplugging the evo then plugging it back in? Since you are seeing the programmed level defaults.....please explain!

Bill wrote:https://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...97#post2008697 or read below.

Now, here's a couple tricks to setting custom options....
1. Custom Changes

If you don't need to change it, DON'T! In most cases leaving a custom option untouched will revert to the normal values for the level you are using. The only exception to this is (of course) tire size and gear ratio. Because of the way they must be handled, if you set one, you must set the other. Otherwise your speedometer will be significantly off (as much as 20%).

2. Custom Defaults

When the unit is plugged in, all the custom option defaults are read from the PCM. When you go into custom programming options, these are the default values displayed, NOT what the defaults for a particular level are. Now pay close attention... You can program to a particular level (without custom options), disconnect the unit from the OBDII port, reconnect and then all the programmed levels values become the default custom options. Pretty sneaky, eh? Do keep in mind that any time you disconnect the unit any custom option values will disappear. This is unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

3. Reload Custom Defaults

Whenever you go into a programming session where you have already made custom changes, ALWAYS make sure you go to "Load Previous Settings" BEFORE you change any values. Otherwise, your previous changes will be lost, at least for any parameter you viewed before reloading. Again, this is unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Any options EXCEPT Tire Size and Gear Ratio can be seen by programming to a level and then going back in to program using Custom Options. The problem with Tire Size and Gear Ratio is this:

When stock, the PCM uses the VID Block (let's call this California) to determine the tire size and gear ratio. In order to make adjustments, we have to make changes in the Calibration (let's call this New York) and then change a switch to tell the PCM to look at New York instead of California. New York and California have no relationship to each other and are completely opposite in terms of location. The VID block and Calibration are similarly distant and the values contained in one are completely unrelated to the other. When setting Tire Size and Gear Ratio, you must ALWAYS calculate the correct values for Tire Size AND enter the correct Gear Ratio if you want to change the values. Period.

This is why I tell everyone "If you don't need to change them, leave both of them alone. If you set one, set BOTH." It's either all or none. Also keep in mind that as far as the Evolution is concerned, just looking is the same as changing so unless you plan to change a value, leave it alone.

I hope that clears it up because I can't think of any better way to explain it.

Enjoy.

Bill

Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Bill

I get it......thanks!

Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Hex OKCM3A3, new update cured stall problem. Set on level 3 with custom options. Wow I missed my tune. The truck is fun to drive again

Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic
a... well... "New York" salute! Even a thumbs down would be better than that!

Take care.

Bill
Hey, I resemble that comment

Thanks for working along so hard on this Bill!! Big "happy" NY salute to you

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything is in working order.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:07 PM
That's what I like to hear.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Not me.......

Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by wulffy888
Not me.......
Not you what? Not working? Not having a problem? Please elaborate...

Also, if you are having problems please remind of your calibration code so I can investigate.

Thanks.

Bill

Old 03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bill
I keep getting the "unable to locate a valid version file" message when I try to update my unit. I have only had the evo since yesterday, am I doing something wrong?

lightning version 1.02.0148
firmware 08
calibration 08a

Old 03-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Bill
I keep getting the "unable to locate a valid version file" message when I try to update my unit. I have only had the evo since yesterday, am I doing something wrong?

lightning version 1.02.0148
firmware 08
calibration 08a
I have the same lightning version, and it works for me.

Check your firewall settings.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
We have had some lag on the server today. I'd say try it again. If you continue to have problems, let me know. Like Kool Aid said, you might have some firewall problems that will prevent FTP connections. If you have a firewall that blocks FTP communications, you will have aproblem.

Bill

Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Mine always works better if I disable Norton before I start the download.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey Bill.....just wondering if you had a chance to check the shuddering problem on level 3. I downloaded the last release and it was still present. HEX code RXCM4E2. I am pretty sure you have my email. It's been 4 weeks.

Last edited by wulffy888; 03-08-2006 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Evolution and No Start