need help with dtc codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with dtc codes

My check engine light came on today and hooked up the microtuner and got 2 different codes..........

P1635 Tire/Axle out of acceptable range
P0405 exhausy gas recirc sensor a circuit low

Any help with the meanings of the codes would be appreciated.
thanks alot.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Well I cleared the codes with the tuner and then started it up this morning and the service engine light came on again...................

Anyone have ANY ideas?

Thanks alot

Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The tire/axle out of range comes from having changed gear ratio and/or tire size - and you will still get that code in most cases even once the speedo has been corrected via a tuner, for example - it's just how the system works, but that code will *not* set a check engine light.

What you need to do is to take your vehicle in for service, so that it can be properly diagnosed.

The EGR problem can be any number of things, like a bad DPFE sensor, dirty EGR passages, a vacuum hose plugged or off, any any number of other things - the bottom line is, you need to let your local Ford mechanic take care of that for you.

And forget the axle out of range code, that affects nothing and will *not* set off the check engine light. Your EGR problem is what set off the SES lamp.

Just FYI - The check engine/service engine soon light comes on *only* when the engine exceeds allowable emissions by more than 50% - so it's being caused by your EGR problem.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the great reply. I got a new DPFE sensor yesterday and installed it and no more "check engine light"

On another note. I have a superchip microtuner and put my truck back to stock beacuse I thought I was going to bring it in the dealership, and while it has been back to stock I feel like I have more power and pick up. Is that normal or maybe I am just felling that in my mind.....................

Thanks alot.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it's somewhat common for the DPFE sensor to fail - while most will go 70K-90K miles, I've had the DPFE in my Lightning fail at just 13K miles. I'm glad to hear you got it taken care of!

And regarding how it felt when returned back to stock, if it's a daily driver, like most of these trucks are, then you probably spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel doing relatively conservative driving (cruising) back and forth to work - and if so, meaning that the truck does not see a lot of heavy throttle use, then adaptive strategy will cause the power to go down a little bit - not a lot, a few percent, but for some people, enough to feel a difference when the go back to stock, and make them wonder if their tuning was working on the 1997-2003 F-150's.

See, any time you flash the PCM (or just disconnect the battery), you wipe out all previous adaptive strategy adjustments - so for a lot of guys with daily drivers who take it to the drag strip, for example, they'll disconnect the battery to reset the PCM & clear out adaptive - and then go do their runs.

So it is indeed possible that it might feel a bit crisper just from having cleared the PCM when you returned it back to stock!

To give it a shot in the arm and see the difference, try filling it up with premium & reload the premium gas performance tuning, and you'll notice that power gain from the tuning once again.

Last - and I need to preface this by saying that I am NOT trying to play salesman here, please understand - if you want the *best* results tuning-wise, that is had with our custom tuning, as we'll typically get double the power gains from our custom tuning on the 1997-2003 F-150's compared to the "standard" Superchips tuning - it's simply the difference between custom and "off the shelf" tuning. I mention this really just because of our Group Buy we're running right now, in case you may not be aware - today is the last day of our Group Buy on our custom tuning, so if you, by chance, just happened to want to step up to our custom tuning, we can probably work out a deal with you to take your present Micro Tuner in partial trade to help offset some of the cost of getting into our *custom* tuning, which would also put you in a much more advanced hand-held tuner, the XCalibrator 2 - again, please understand that I really am NOT trying to play salesman here, just letting you know what will actually get you the best results, just in case you might have any interest. Some people do, some people don't. If for some reason you don't see this message in time before our Group Buy expires at 6 pm today (Friday, March 10th), I'll be happy to give you a few days grace, just call us at our number below & we'll be happy to work that out with you, if you have any interest in that - just FYI.

Overall, I think if you just reload your Micro Tuner, especially the highest performance tune, you'll see that it actually does run noticeably better with the tuning, and that this feeling you are now experiencing is just the normal result of adaptive strategy being cleared out from flashing the PCM back to stock in preparation for taking it in to the dealership, and thus feeling a bit crisper just from adaptive being cleared out - given time, under the same driving conditions the same thing will happen again, meaning adaptive will tend to lower power just a little bit in vehicles not seeing a significant amount of heavy throttle use from time to time. So loading it up with your tuning again should give you a difference over stock.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: need help with dtc codes