Tune selections.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune selections.

I did a search to see what other F150 online members have for tunes.
One member made a good point to have a tow tune and performance tune with the same octane level.
For an Xcal2, towing a double jetski trailer with 2 jetski's weighting about 1500lbs total.
I tow them probably twice a week.
The gas at every corner is 87, 89, 91. We do have 5 to 6 Sunoco stations that sell 93.
Which tunes would you guys choose for your Xcal2?
Would a tow tune be necessary for a 1500lbs trailer?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
I chose the 87 performance, 87 tow, and 93 performance.

I'm not a huge peformance nut, I bought it just to wake the truck up. I usually run 87 and I figured if I'm stuck somewhere and have to tow its more likely than not that I'll have 87 in the tank.

(Note: I'll probably fall in love with the 93 and stay there and then my tow tune will be useless)

Old 03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you need to use a towing-compatible tune to tow - whether it's 1000 lb or 5000 lb, it requires the use of a towing-compatible tune. Why? Because towing means towing, and towing use means you need a towing tune.

And since you are going to be towing that frequently, you basically should leave it on a towing-compatible tune all the time - you do not want to flash the PCM a few times a week, that would be hundreds of flashes every year and that isn't smart. So if you are going to be towing several times a week, my advise is to leave it on a towing-compatible tune instead of flashing it back and forth constantly.

The most popular combination of tunes is an 87 octane performance tune, then a premium gas towing tune, and a premium gas performance tune - that way, between the stock tune and the 3 custom tunes, you have towing & performance tunes for both regular and premium gas, so you have the most flexibility. That is what I would recommend for you as well.

Now there are some people who, once they feel how the truck runs with our tuning, *never* want to run on the stock tune again, and we can certainly understand that, I feel the same way - so another choice for your situation would be to go with an 87 Octane towing, 87 octane performance, and then a 93 octane performance tune.

The thing to remember in your case is that for towing, you need to use a towing-compatible tune. Now that being said, if it really were just 1500 lb, and it was on flat ground and for only a short distance, then you probably could get away with doing *that* on our performance tuning and still have safe EGT's - but as soon as I say that, someone will turn around and tow 3000 lb up and down hills, etc on their performance tunes - people are people and will push things beyond what we recommend all too often, we find - so we have to say that for *any* towing, use only a towing-compatible tune.

I hope that I've managed to help you more than confuse you with this!

Old 03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks Mike

That's a great idea having 87 max, 91 tow, and a 91 max.
I see what your saying about pushing the limits of the tunes.
Gas here in Canada goes from 85 cents to 97 cents per liter. Thats just for 87 octane. Now 91 octane goes 10 cents higher then that.
I would just like the peace of mind if ( I mean *if*) I am running an 87 octane max tune and all of a sudden I leave work at 2:00 in the afternoon to go out on the water. I don't have to worry about the tune I have selected.
I only live 10 minute away from the water, but sometimes I will travel 2 hours away to Port Huron(families house).
So lets say I head out to town to Port Huron and I have a half tank of 87. I fill it up with 91 and select a 91 tow tune. Will I do any damage?

Thanks Mike, sorry for all the dumb questions

Old 03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Simple math says 1/2 tank 87 octane + 1/2 tank 91 octane = 89 octane blend. You will want to use the appropriate octane for the tune you are running. I'm sure Mike will chime in on this in a little bit and give you the full rundown. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Tune selections.