XCal2 Backlight ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XCal2 Backlight ???

My Xcal2 LCD has no backlight. Is it supposed to be that way?

Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah, it's that way. I asked that question a few months ago. Troyer said it was ok to use the dome light while installing tunes at night.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Wow! I hope there's a logical explanation for not having a backlight on a hand held product with an lcd powered by a big 'ol battery.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nobody makes an LCD screen of that specific dimension that is backlit, for starters, SCT tried to source that but would have to have changed the layout & dimensioning of the rest of the unit - which would have set them back a good deal of time & cost, when it made no sense because - and perhaps more to the point - SCT has always planned to have an optional add-on larger backlit dash-mountable touch-screen for the XCal 2 as well - which is one of many reasons why it's design was made modular, to be able to take those kinds of accessories in the future.

So it's a combination of fitment with existing backlit LCD screens on the market that were readily available to work with their existing layout/dimensions, combined with the their intention to have that touch-screen additional available as an option for those who really want a nice readable screen, while at the same time without having that additional cost for those who are not concerned with backlighting and/or prefer to have a larger touch-screen anyway. And before you ask, sorry, I can't tell you when that screen will be available at this point - we're not the manufacturer so I can't tell you that. Their primary concern has been getting all of the functionality in that matters most to those who have custom tuning done first, and then the other options phased in after that.

So that's the scoop.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey Rooster this is when you say "OH"

Quick Reply: XCal2 Backlight ???