Shift Kit and tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Kit and tuner

Hi all... I got my Xcal 2 awile ago. I opted for the firm shifts, but I just had my trans rebuilt with all redline clutches and a transgo shift kit. Do you think my tune will harm the trans in any way? Will mike need to re-program my X cal 2? Any imput would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
I dont know about the XcalII but these tuners change the shifts a little and should not be installed with a shift kit.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I dont know about the XcalII but these tuners change the shifts a little and should not be installed with a shift kit.
Hi.

Not quite accurate.

In the case of custom tuners/tunes supplied by TP, if the presence of a shift kit is communicated (and which type, be it Transgo, FTVB, separator plate, etc), then, depending upon which setting on the kit is used, your custom tune can be modified as required to any firmness level desired by the customer, while ensuring trans longevity.

The key here, of course, is to call your tuner and inform him of the mod, so he can advise you correctly and address it accordingly.

Plenty of posts here about this topic if you search.

Cheers
Vic

Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Your right but the custom tuner needs to know prior to the tune. Basicly what your saying was what I was trying to get at.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Your right but the custom tuner needs to know prior to the tune. Basicly what your saying was what I was trying to get at.
Hi.

OK. Again, in Kickin's case, Mike can revise the existing tunes and email him updated ones to accomodate the mod - after the fact.

Kickin' - do your tunes have end-user adjustability, and if so, is shift pressure one of the parameters? Not advising this mind you, just curious...

Cheers
Grog

Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

OK. Again, in Kickin's case, Mike can revise the existing tunes and email him updated ones to accomodate the mod - after the fact.

Kickin' - do your tunes have end-user adjustability, and if so, is shift pressure one of the parameters? Not advising this mind you, just curious...

Cheers
Grog
Yes, I can adjust the shift pressure...

Old 03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
transgo shift kit stinks for these transmissions. Get the Factory tech shift kit, its basically like the jmod for the trucks. Much better kit, and most people will agree with me on that.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wilson502
transgo shift kit stinks for these transmissions. Get the Factory tech shift kit, its basically like the jmod for the trucks. Much better kit, and most people will agree with me on that.
A little to late for that...lol

Old 03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
you can still take it out and replace it with the Factory tech kit.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa..... slow down.
You should get a reasonable result through adjustment with the Xcal. If not, give Mike a call.
Also, the accumulator springs can be changed if need be. Lots of options.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Whoa..... slow down.
You should get a reasonable result through adjustment with the Xcal. If not, give Mike a call.
Also, the accumulator springs can be changed if need be. Lots of options.
Should I adjust my shift pressures down? If so by how much?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Kickin' & everyone,

Hold on here, this is getting way out of hand.

First - you do NOT need to automatically do ANYTHING just because you installed the Transgo shift kit -

We supply the HD-2 "tugger" shift kit from Transgo for these trucks, which includes not only the basic shift kit, but also for those who are actually rebuilding their tranny the upgraded hard parts such as snap rings, etc. for those who are actually pulling the transmission out of the vehicle. We advise installing the Transgo shift kit at the middle of it's 3 levels, and to not install any of the 1st gear accumulator washers they also provide, as that configuration provides for a nice shift characteristic along with what we do in our tuning, so that the ****s are still tolerable at light throttle, and give a nice chirp of the tires on the full-throttle 1-2 in most of these trucks.

For Kickin' - The bottom line is, it's a simple matter of how firm you like your shifts - that's all. As long as the shifts are not too firm for your tastes, then you do not have to do *anything*.

Now if you feel the shifts are too harsh, then you can simply dial down the shift pressure - or if you prefer, we can adjust that for you no problem! Just give us a call at our number listed below if you'd like to have us do that for you.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 03-24-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift Kit and tuner