SHM chip retuning? Mr. Troyer out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHM chip retuning? Mr. Troyer out there?

Somewhere I heard that over time the ford computer overrides the chips tune to slowly bring it back to stock settings. I was just wondering if this was true. Apparently because of the computers technology or something to that effect. I've had my SHM tuned chip since late 2000. Should I take it out, drive around a little, then throw it back in like it was brand new?

I really haven't noticed a drop in power or anything, but it may be so slight that I wouldn't. Basically I like everyone else is throwing this at Mike to look at if he can. Mike, do you know if Sean Hyland uses or used a superchip? Also, I was told it would give about 40 to 50 horse, and to be honest, I believe that it did give close, maybe 35 at most, is this a fair estimate?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't possibly tell you what some other tuner did for you -

But don't ever think you are going to get a 50 RWHP gain on an F-150 from tuning alone (well, with one possible exception - the 1999 & 2000 Lightnings, because they got a 9.8:1 A/F from the factory, we could get 45-50 RWHP from some of those) - but otherwise, for get about any 50 HP gain from tuning alone on an F-150, it doesn't happen.

And no, the PCM cannot just magically erase and eliminate whatever tuning work was done.

Have fun,

Old 04-15-2006, 11:19 PM
I thaught maybe the tunes were somewhat similar in criterias bieng Superchips, not needing to know exactly what SHM does different. Just heard the PCM tries to correct itself, that's all. What a relief that a few hundred $ wasn't for short lived performance. One area very noticeable that was improved was shifting. Maybe thats why it feels like more power. I will say this, running premium gas only due to it made a hell of a difference in engine performance. I changed the plugs at around 100 000 miles and they were good and clean. No major signs that tell me it was time to replace em.

Cool Mike, now in the future, what kind of mods require a retune? When I had mine done, all that's factored in was a K&N filter. The exhaust they said no big deal, but how bout headers, a cold air kit, throttle body and MAF sensor? I know it didn't give me 50 horse, maybe they meant for a Lightning like you said, but it was a good amount for sure, and was one of the best mods so far.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 04-16-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:42 PM
You're most likely feeling the effects of "adaptive strategy".

You could clear it out, then let the truck "re-learn". i.e. disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, or so.

Something you'll just have to put up with.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Actually, it may seem stupid but when I put on the e fans a few weeks ago, I had the battery disconnected for a few hours. Hooked it all back up, drove home and even later the next day when I drove on the freeway, it was still learning and going through it's crap. I wasn't able to take it out right away, but it seems now that it's set, there are differences noticed. I feel a little more power, not alot mind you. It seems the truck has the ***** it once did, surely the e fans help too!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Sean Hyland is quite knowledgeable is the Mustang community, and I would therefore assume he wouldn't jump into something else without some research. He has quite the facility up in canada where he is based. You should check his website, seanhylandmotorsports.com I believe is the address. He has many parts for the trucks, but nowhere near the amount he carries for the stangs. He is though, relatively expensive.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Actually, I've been through the shop up here, WOW!!! He had an 8 or 7 second pro stock stang with a 4.6L based block. Cars he builds are done right. I usually try to buy off him when I can $$$. Alot of times, it's hard to get replies anytime soon, so here we are. Actually, I was just curious of the myth of bieng over ridden by the factory PCM, someone told me about.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, well that is one myth you can forget - the PCM does not "overwrite" what a tuner does, the code is not going to change on it's own. You will simply feel the effects of adaptive strategy in some cases like you just mentioned, where you had to disconnect the battery.

SHM used to do a quality work, but since a couple people left there, I'm not as impressed with their work as I used to be. They are also highly overpriced, IMHO. Yes, you do have to pay for quality, but they are over the top in that regard, just my opinion, and I wish them all the best. I do commend them for having a race-quality aftermarket engine block built for these mod motors, for example.

But no, you don't have to worry about money you spent for tuning being wasted, don't worry about that at all.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Very true, he used to be one if not the only to go at mod motors, but now there are plenty more. Livernois Motorsport for example here in Detroit. He's had to branch out to do Focus' and even Dodges. Oh well, now that THAT myth is dead, I'll continue on. Thanks Mike.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
One of my parents neighbors had a 99 Cobra that was done up in canada by sean, and it was mean. He paid out the wazzoo, but it was perfectly 50/50 balanced, and pushed if I recall correctly about 550HP

Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Troyer tuning

Hey, I have a 2003 Screw FX4. Ive been doing some reading in the posts about tuning and what not. I'm interested in the Troyer Stage 1 kit with the single program chip, air force one intake system and the magnaflow catback. Just looking for anybodys' input on these products and their results. Also, any personal experience with this stuf would be great! any info i can get, ill take

Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Mike will probably give me a verbal lashing for this, but here's my opinion.

You can't go wrong with his tuning on the chip. Magnaflow to me is overrated for what it is. And I personally think an intake is an intake. I've bought cheap intakes, expensive intakes, and made my own intakes, without ever really seeing any difference in the three methods. Now, I didn't dyno them (call me on that technicality if you must) but for what its worth I don't see the point in the expensive versions

As for the overall gain for the money, I think the stage one kit is the perfect place to begin (and catch the need for speed disease) and work on up to the stage 107

Quick Reply: SHM chip retuning? Mr. Troyer out there?