aftermarket maf sensor? or chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket maf sensor? or chip?

I have a 2000 f-150 supercab with a 4.6 ,3'' magnaflow catback and a 77 series k/n cold air intake. which would benefit me more,? a bigger mass airflow sensor or a chip/tuner? I have a manual transmission.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM
If you get a bigger maf, you need to get custom tune anyway , me the biggest thing i did to help and get better mpg, and throttle responds was e-fans,

Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 AM
whats your HP?

Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
A tuner. Upgrading your MAF is a waste of money unless you have FI. Your stock MAF is good to around 350-400hp at the wheels.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI electricfrank,

Hands down, by far the best bang for the buck is to have us do a custom tune for that truck, as nothing else for the same or less cost will deliver the kinds of performance gains.

You do not need a larger MAF meter, your stock unit is already roughly 80mm in size - though it will not support anything like 350-400 Hp at the wheels on it's own, it will peak long before that of course, but it will certainly be capable of keeping up with significant more airflow than what that engine has coming thru it now. Figure your stock MAF meter is good up to about 350 horsepower SAE Net at the *flywheel* before it's time to consider upgrading it from an actual need standpoint - and that also varies quite a bit depending on the exact PCM strategy of each individual vehicle as well.

The bottom line is, the basic order of bang for the buck is tuning, intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, electric fans, and then if you want to go further, it's on to things like headers, increasing the injector size, ported heads, cams, or a blower, or whatever route you want to take if you actually take things that far.

But the first items are very basic in terms of the order of bang for the buck - tuning, intake, exhaust, pulleys & e-fans would be the first 5 basic mods for any F-150 owner - that is what we do, specialize in F-150 performance, and have been doing that longer than anyone else, so we know what actually does what, and when each item in the fuel delivery & air management systems actually need to be upgraded.

I hope that brief info helps, & please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over this in proper detail.

Good luck with your truck!

Quick Reply: aftermarket maf sensor? or chip?