cherping with the xcal2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cherping with the xcal2

'06 xlt, 4x4 screw 5.4
stage 1, xcal2

Loaded the 93 performance tune (1st time). No cherp, No line, nothing.
Is it me, my truck, my tuner? Maybe its the adaptive stratigy thing and I'll have to wait a couple of tanks.

Its got plenty of power, just thought I could make a little smoke, or atleast a cherp!!

Your thoughts?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:33 AM
I get a nice little cherp at 53 mph from 1st to 2nd at WOT at 5200 rpm

Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I know with my 4.6l and 20's i can cherp them easily.It can be lots of things like the tires, the type of road and more than likely the adaptive strategy is still going on. you have to remember u cant measure performance by how far you leave rubber on the ground

Last edited by Blackford; 05-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by gonecampin
I get a nice little cherp at 53 mph from 1st to 2nd at WOT at 5200 rpm
I had a case of the cherps untill I cut the stock belt off and put on a gatorback belt nice an quiet shift now!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
I had a case of the cherps untill I cut the stock belt off and put on a gatorback belt nice an quiet shift now!
Oh, I wasn't talking about a belt cherp. I was talking about a tire cherp.

I put the Gatorback on before the XCal2 got here.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM
well I wish I could get a cherp at 1-2 shift but I can lay a pair of strips of the start!

Old 05-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
well I wish I could get a cherp at 1-2 shift but I can lay a pair of strips of the start!
Ya, chirps are hard to come by, but I do get a chirp 2-3.

Trending Topics

Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 PM
So...I guess I was expecting a little to much out of the xcal2. Not that I care about a cherp or marks at take-off. I assumed that everyone was able to do that. I am impressed by all means though, I really appriciate the power gains and smooth shifts. I haven't actually got on the highway yet to test WOT above 45mph, just city driven so far. I was meanly just questioning chirps and tire marks at take-off.

After I run a few tanks on each tune, I'm planning on datalogging and sending the info to Mike. Hopefully, Troyer will have a dyno day this summer. Its not that far from Greenville, NC.

Don't get me wrong, the custom tuned Xal2 from Troyer is the best mod thus far. A giant leap from the stock tune. I'm happy.

vroom, vroom!!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to at least spin um for a few seconds off the line, I can and I got a 3:55 rear

Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, I did for a second but I think there was a little sand in the road in the back of my sub-division where I tried it.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cottonhead,

This is one of the things that we warn people about, not trying to judge the results by seat of the pants, or whether a truck spins it's tires or not, right there on Page 2 of our docs - there we list a number of reasons why some trucks will, and other trucks just won't.

For example, we have customers with 4x4's with 35" tires on the stock gears running our 87 octane tune that can light up those 35's - but it's only because those 35's they are using happen to have very poor dry traction.

While other trucks with stock tires cannot light them up off the line - and everything in between.

Another factor is that you need to allow at least a couple hundred miles and a dozen or so drive cycles to allow adaptive strategy to do it's thing, so that you are getting the full power gain.

See, even on the bone stock tires there are numerous different rubber compounds - the harder compounds will spin much easier than the stickier compounds, obviously, and the harder compounds also last longer - but don't handle as well.

There are many factors that go into this, not the least of which is weight, gear ratio, tires, the actual quality of fuel alone can make a difference of 20lb/ft. of torque off the line (or more) as well - that is seen every time we do a dyno day here, we can tell by the numbers who's got the best fuel in the tank - fuels are not the same even though they may have the same octane rating.

There are sooooo.... many things that go into whether a truck will spin it's tires - and no, we are NOT trying to make these heavy trucks all spin their tires off the line, that is a complete waste of time and not an appropriate thing to expect from a 3-ton truck, even though a lot of them will do it - some just won't from a tune alone. And what intake kit they are using also has an effect on their bottom end power as well.

What we do is tune them all properly, and then however each individual truck runs is how it runs. Remember, there is also an easy 20 Hp difference in **bone stock trim** from the "weakest" to the "strongest" 5.4 3V's, and that too, is yet another factor.

The thing to remember is to thoroughly read our docs so that you understand all of this - and use the methods that *we* describe in those docs for measuring immediate back-to-back differences - that still won't give you the full picture as it does not allow for adaptive strategy, but that will at least allow you to see a clear reduction in acceleration times and a clear increase in power.

Of course I understand you are not meaning to complain, but on the other hand, this obviously does bother you or you wouldn't have put up that post! So this is just a reminder of some of what goes into this, and to read all of the info in your docs so that you understand this properly.

Thanks for your post & I hope you have fun enjoying your new power!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Nice post! I chose the "Firm" shifts from Mike and if I woulda went with "Hard" I just know there would be a chirp! I also just LOVE the 3-2 downshift which throws you back in your seat and that V8 growling like only V8s do!

I have a little 4.6L with a 3.55 "pumpkin" and am pleased everytime I hop into the truck

Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
With my lifted 4.2 v6 and 33's.. I get a big chirp 1-2 and a regular chirp at 2-3?... how come your v8 can't? I should be getting my Xcal2 here in acouple weeks to see how it does.. I may get my chirps because Im geared correctly to 4.10.. whats your rearend gearing, that could play a part of it

Kevin

Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
i love the chirps that mikes tunin from the xcal one makes. itll shift me over in groove few inches when it hits second and chirp drive at the track. now whenever my xcal 2 finally gets here well see what the 4lb lower, high flow cats and bassani exhaust will do for the lil blue truck. he he.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I guessing it may have something to do with if you choose firm or hard shifts. I went with firm. But I will tell you that on wet pavement the rear end will get a little sideways on you from 1st to 2nd.

Quick Reply: cherping with the xcal2