First Impressions with Troyer Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edisonrizon
I USING CHEVRON PREMIUM BEFORE THEN I SHIFT TO 87 OCTANE OF 76ERS. IT RUNS THE SAME, NOT STARTING AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE PREMIUM AND 87 OCTANE. I'LL TRY 76 PREMIUM THIS COMING WEEKENDS SO I WILL SHIFT TO TUNE 93. BTW, SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETE DYNO NEXT WEEK, UNFORTUNATELY TOO FAR FROM TP. I FOUND ONE NEARBY TO OUR PLACE AROUND 10 MILES. WISH YOU LUCK TO FIND FUEL BRAND AND GRADE SUIT TO YOUR DRIVING. ENJOY OUR TRUCK

Old 05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by kr1mson k1ng
Lol...I second that!

Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
here is an interesting site from FORD anybody can check this out http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=23040

Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by edisonrizon
here is an interesting site from FORD anybody can check this out http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=23040
Well all I can say about this is if Ford was true on everything they say then why was there a story and investigation about the mfg. rating of average city/highway mpg that they print on the window sticker.I consider the article an advertisement for BP Amoco.It is funny that when BP was in the process of purchasing Amoco that the price for petro in England skyrocketed.I myself refuse to use BP Amoco at any and all cost.JMHO!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by TSDan
Well all I can say about this is if Ford was true on everything they say then why was there a story and investigation about the mfg. rating of average city/highway mpg that they print on the window sticker.I consider the article an advertisement for BP Amoco.It is funny that when BP was in the process of purchasing Amoco that the price for petro in England skyrocketed.I myself refuse to use BP Amoco at any and all cost.JMHO!
BP(Amoco) is definitely the most expensive gas in my area!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
I am in Tampa Bay. Every brand i have tried still results in pinging on my XCal2'd 2005 F150 5.4 4x2 XLT supercab.
I've tried: Shell, Chevron, BP/Mobile, Sunoco, Citgo, Hess.

It still pings with 87. Never stopped pinging with 93 Tow or 93 Perf.

I give up. I reduced timing 2 points and that was not enough. I went to 4 and that almost eliminated it. After shifting there's a godawful null zone where it floats or hesitates before continuing to accelerate.

I know for a fact the fuel I have been putting in is not crap unless its all crap.

I tried 87 perf tune on 93 octane and the pinging stopped. I have been running 87 tune for over a month now. I put 20 gallons of 89 octane in a while back after almost running out of 87 octane (57 miles after the low fuel warnings began) and it still pinged but not quite as much as with the 87 octane. It does not ping with 87 octane and factory tune.

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
This is very simple - any fuel that causes your truck to detonate with our tuning is an *extremely* poor fuel - and this is precisely why why we provide such highly detailed info on fuel quality in our documentation that gets sent to everyone who orders our custom tuning.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rooster2005
I am in Tampa Bay. Every brand i have tried still results in pinging on my XCal2'd 2005 F150 5.4 4x2 XLT supercab.

I give up. I reduced timing 2 points and that was not enough. I went to 4 and that almost eliminated it. After shifting there's a godawful null zone where it floats or hesitates before continuing to accelerate.

I know for a fact the fuel I have been putting in is not crap unless its all crap.

I tried 87 perf tune on 93 octane and the pinging stopped. I have been running 87 tune for over a month now. I put 20 gallons of 89 octane in a while back after almost running out of 87 octane (57 miles after the low fuel warnings began) and it still pinged but not quite as much as with the 87 octane. It does not ping with 87 octane and factory tune.

If your still having issues you should call Mike and talk to him.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
If your pinging, by all means fix it ASAP. The tune is not right and can cause engine damage.
If you have the ability, pull timing until it stops, then call your tuner to have it corrected.

With the weight of these trucks, under load detenation can be dangerous to the truck.

You may run into 1 station with 1 bad grade, but never all the stations in your area.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Deeve
So far so good, except for the detonation, which I think they can tune out, I am impressed with the tune!
Dave

What do you mean by "detonation"?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by cottonhead
What do you mean by "detonation"?
detonation is the "pinging" sound you hear when your under load or at high RPM WOT. (marble in a can sound)
It's the spark bouncing back and forth from the piston top to the head. Beating the aluminum piston top to death.
Not a good thing and if you can hear it it's really bad.

You can have detonation and not hear it, this is why most new vehicles have knock retards that will "pull timing" when they sence it. This means the tune has too much timing in it and it causeing the fuel to pre-ignite. (fire too early)

Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 AM
how much would the Xcalibrator 2 with Troyer Performance custom tuning cost for the new f150?

Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Victor; you need to go to the Troyer Performancew web page and look it up,also there is a phone number you could call on Monday

Old 05-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by victor26086
how much would the Xcalibrator 2 with Troyer Performance custom tuning cost for the new f150?
Give them a call on Monday... be sure to mention that you're a f150online.com member!

Troyer Performance, Inc.
Phone: (540) 862.9515
FAX: (540) 862.9485 Primary
Sales@TroyerPerformance.com

Old 05-14-2006, 11:23 PM
XCal2 for sale

Originally Posted by victor26086
I have an XCal2 that i am going to sell. It's just over two months old.

You'd need to obtain tunes for your truck.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a very similar issue... I notice it on the 91-Octane Performance tune I got from Troyer. I dont know it it happens in the other tunes as I only ran the 87 Tow Tune for a couple days and then have been on 91. Anyways I get ping when I first accelerate, almost sound like a diesel for about half a second. Then if I am in OD, and tip into the throttle to climb a hill or pass, I get the pinging again at part throttle just before the truck would kick down.

I have used Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Exxon, 76, and I think that might be it. They all do the same thing, some are a little better then others. I called TP and talked with Neil, who was very friendly and helpful. He had me pull out 2 degrees of timing, which has helped, but that was about all they seemed to be able to do and told me Mike set the tune up that way... Unless the pinging was noticeable. I was a little confused as the pinging was noticeable at the described times, but at WOT it runs great. At the end of our conversation I was basically under the impression that without dyno tuning they couldnt do much. Although I do very much like my tuner and its performance, I am a bit bummed out that the truck is apparently supposed to act this way out of the box without further tuning. I know I only have 91 octane here in Ca., but it sucks to feel like one of the few who has an issue with it. Anyways, just thought I would share my experience.

Originally Posted by rooster2005

Quick Reply: First Impressions with Troyer Tune