First Impressions with Troyer Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Impressions with Troyer Tune

Got my tunes emailed to me today right before work and installed the 87 MAX tune. Troyer sent me the 87MAX, 91MAX and 91TOW. Too bad for me that I filled up with Chevron 87 right before going home and seeing the email.

Right off I noticed the truck shifted a lot firmer, accelerated quicker, and seemed to idle better. I also noticed that I had some detonation right off the line as I accelerated. Sounded like a diesel kinda “snorting” and then a little more pinging as it accelerated up through the rpm's at half throttle-full throttle.

I called Troyer and the person I spoke to suggested backing off the timing 2 degrees throughout the RPM’s and see how that works. He also said I should try a different type of fuel to see if that helps. Once I get through this tank of gas I will fill up on 93 octane and do a datalog. Hopefully they can tune that out.

So far so good, except for the detonation, which I think they can tune out, I am impressed with the tune!
Dave

Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't think I recall chevron gas being on the "suggested" list of fuels. It does make a difference too. Also remember the adaptive strategy, give it some time to figure whats up and compensate.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, fill up with sunoco.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 PM
"Suggested" list of fuels by whom? Ford or Troyer? I had not heard of that before. I thought Chevron was good gas...the little tiny cars on their comercials seem to like it.

Dave

Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deeve
"Suggested" list of fuels by whom? Ford or Troyer? I had not heard of that before. I thought Chevron was good gas...the little tiny cars on their comercials seem to like it.

Dave
Suggested fuel list is from Troyer and is included in Troyer's XCal2 docs....

Old 05-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Hmm, I checked all the paperwork I have and did not see a suggested fuel list. Do you have a copy of it that you could email me? I have the datalogging instructions, installing the tunes instructions and the worksheets.

Dave

Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I checked all the paperwork I have and did not see a suggested fuel list. Do you have a copy of it that you could email me? I have the datalogging instructions, installing the tunes instructions and the worksheets.

Dave
Read in your docs under
Fuel Quality, Fuel Economy, Etc.
should be there......

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM
The Chevron isn't.
Up here (I'm not far from Portland) I've tried all the premium fuels, and have the best overall response with the Chevron though. Shell seems to give me a little better mileage, not by much, but the Chevron just seems allot better performance and smoothness. Seems weird. I get about 14 around town driving and 18 highway with the chevron. Very hilly driving around here.

Jon

Old 05-09-2006, 01:43 AM
I've heard from a few people in the petro industry that Chevron is the best fuel on the market. .02 worth

Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 AM
I found the fuel info...thanks. I unzipped the folder and did not realize it was there!

Dave

Last edited by Deeve; 05-09-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I found the fuel info...thanks. I unzipped the folder and did not realize it was there!

Dave

Good deal.....

Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 AM
I believe it has a lot to do with the area you are located and the ownership of the gas station too. I put Shell in my car last week and it was knocking & pinging. Then on the way to work this morning I put Wal-mart gas in there and it was back running like a top. Makes me wonder what gas I need to put in my truck.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is very simple - any fuel that causes your truck to detonate with our tuning is an *extremely* poor fuel - and this is precisely why why we provide such highly detailed info on fuel quality in our documentation that gets sent to everyone who orders our custom tuning.

One brand name might work fine in one area, but be *terrible* 20 miles away, or at another station right across the street - and Chevron our in the northwest is a very suspect fuel, we have a LOT of complaints with that fuel in that area, which is a shame, as it used to be one of our preferred fuels a few years ago.

Now it is not possible that a fuel that gives you a lower MPG also gives you better performance if the octane is actually the same in both fuels - that can't happen. The MPG and the performance come from the same thing - the energy content - assuming that the actual octane is in fact identical, of course. Just some food for thought - you might be seeing some undocumented variance in octane.

Nobody should have to remove timing from any of our tunes - that happens *only* when *extremely* poor fuel is being used - and is cured by simply using a better quality fuel. This is important to remember, and once again, is one of many reasons why we provide all the info we do about fuel quality in our docs.

I hope that helps, & good luck!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks Mike, after reading about the fuel in the docs (once I found where I unzipped the files to) it looks like I will be finding a 76 gas station to use or Texaco. I really like the way the truck pulls with just the 87MAX! Totally different truck that feels like it has the power to match the sound of the Magnaflow! I imagine it will get better with better fuel too.

Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by amac110
I believe it has a lot to do with the area you are located and the ownership of the gas station too. I put Shell in my car last week and it was knocking & pinging. Then on the way to work this morning I put Wal-mart gas in there and it was back running like a top. Makes me wonder what gas I need to put in my truck.
I USING CHEVRON PREMIUM BEFORE THEN I SHIFT TO 87 OCTANE OF 76ERS. IT RUNS THE SAME, NOT STARTING AN ARGUMENT ABOUT THE PREMIUM AND 87 OCTANE. I'LL TRY 76 PREMIUM THIS COMING WEEKENDS SO I WILL SHIFT TO TUNE 93. BTW, SCHEDULED FOR COMPLETE DYNO NEXT WEEK, UNFORTUNATELY TOO FAR FROM TP. I FOUND ONE NEARBY TO OUR PLACE AROUND 10 MILES. WISH YOU LUCK TO FIND FUEL BRAND AND GRADE SUIT TO YOUR DRIVING. ENJOY OUR TRUCK

Quick Reply: First Impressions with Troyer Tune