Looking for tuner advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for tuner advice

I am looking for peoples experiences with tuners.... It seems everyone on here swears by the Troyer, but I am also looking at the Superchips, Hypertech, and Diablo Sport tuners on Summit.... anyone used the "other" (non Troyer) tuners? If so what are your opinions??

Old 05-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The two most widely discussed tuners on this forum are, by far, the XCal2 by Troyer Performance and the Edge Evolution by Edge Products.

If you've happened to read any of the similar threads on this topic, you've probably noticed this question is frequently asked, but it is difficult to answer without introducing some measure of bias in the response. This is understandable for two reasons: first, tuners cost a lot of money, and no one wants to believe they bought an inferior tuner with their hard-earned dollars. Second, both Edge and Troyer Performance are supporting vendors of f150online, and they've both earned very loyal customer followings through their outstanding service, accessibility, and responsiveness. I think it's fair to say that, regardless of which tuner you choose, you win!

You may still be wondering, "Which tuner is best?" IMHO, there are actually only a handful of members on f150online truly qualified to provide an answer to this question. These are the folks who have taken the time, trouble, and expense of personally testing both tuners on their trucks. To the best of my knowledge, MoJoe is the only "regular Joe" (pun intended ) member to have posted a comprehensive evaluation of both tuners. MoJoe's thread was also widely praised for presenting the data in an unbiased manner. It's a long read, but well worth it. https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226816

There's only one other piece of advice I will offer: if your truck has a lot of performance mods (i.e., more than just a cold-air intake and/or an aftermarket exhaust), you probably need to call Troyer Performance and get an XCal2. (You also need to make the committment to perform the datalogging and dyno testing.) However, if your truck is stock or only lightly modded, then either the Edge or the XCal2 will make you happy. If cost is a primary concern, the Edge tends to be less expensive than the XCal2, and it also includes the ability to monitor up to four engine parameters (such as average MPG, coolant temp, transmission temp, oil temp, etc.)

Here are some links to check out:
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...catalogno=9400
http://www.edgeproducts.com/pdf/FordF-150Evolution3.pdf

EDIT: I just realized you own a 2001 F-150. In this case, you need a link to the 97-03 Edge Evolution, not the 04-06 version. However, this product is still in beta testing: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=236703. Alternatively, you can check out this product that is already in production: http://www.edgeproducts.com/ford_f-series.html

Good luck!
C-17 Pilot

Last edited by C-17 Pilot; 05-21-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:14 PM
I'll just add a small note to this.If you have a way of checking the air/fuel ratio the edge lets you play with your settings,or make your own adjustments dependent of your ability.
The xcal2 from Troyer has his knowledge and abilities in each programmed tune.which can be fine tuned after datalogging.
Your better off reading most of the posts before deciding

Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks for hooking me up with mojoe's thread. I am new to all of this computer stuff (an old carburetor guy) so anything that can point me in the right directoin as far as mods go is good. I will definately look into the edge unit, as well as the the diablo as my mods right now are not too serious (headers, sido 40 series flow, and a k&n) plans for the future are electric fans and a tuner. Thanks again, I thonk I will be contacting mojoe for his .02 also

Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Beta testing has yet to begin for the Evolution for the 97-03 trucks. You may want to contact Rob from Edge to see if there are any Beta spots left open. You get the unit at a very reasonable price just for some feedback to Edge.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I sent Rob at edge an e mail today, so hopefully there are some beta spots left....

Quick Reply: Looking for tuner advice