just got the edge evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got the edge evo

After much searching and weight out the various info on the tuners avaliable for my truck I made a choice. I went with the edge evo and think I made a good choice. So far all I have run is level two and happy with the results. I also like the gauges the edge has to monitor various aspecs of the truck. I think for an everyday driver with limited mods this tuner will cover what I need. However not being able to try out the xcal2 I can not make any comments on that unit. If however I wanted to truely dial in my truck and have alot more mods I think the TP custom tune is the best choice. Plus I always see Troy on these pages helping out.

Any way when I try out level 3 I will get back too ya.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
SnowmaNick
Congrats on the tuner, handy little box isn't it?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
What is involved when installing one of these? On my Cummins I had to actually drill for the sensor probes of the transmission, boast, EGT, etc... Do the Fords already have all these sensors in place? Is it just a simple plug into a port and it starts working?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by redrascal
After much searching and weight out the various info on the tuners avaliable for my truck I made a choice. I went with the edge evo and think I made a good choice. So far all I have run is level two and happy with the results. I also like the gauges the edge has to monitor various aspecs of the truck. I think for an everyday driver with limited mods this tuner will cover what I need. However not being able to try out the xcal2 I can not make any comments on that unit. If however I wanted to truely dial in my truck and have alot more mods I think the TP custom tune is the best choice. Plus I always see Troy on these pages helping out.

Any way when I try out level 3 I will get back too ya.
Congrats, I just got mine yesterday and installed it before the UPS truck was off the block! so far happy with the results, I have mine set at 3 since I took out a 2nd mortgage and filled the tank with 93...OUCH!!!Couple of questions:
1-As long as I have high octane I can run at 3 all the time?
2-What is the I in IMPG? I know dumb question, but oh well
3-The A in AMPG is "actual miles per gallon"?
4-Is there a "break in" time, I mean does the truck have to get used to the new settings and will run cleaner/better?
5-Velcro placement, where is the best?
6-What is the 3M strip for?
7-How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Sorry if some of these are just plain goofy questions, I am very new to this....Thx

Old 05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
I like it alot............

I have been playing with changing the splash screen. I found a pic of a girl sitting on the ford logo. And got it to fit on the screen. I'm on the look out for more pics. If anyone wants the ones I come up with just let me know and I will send it to you.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by jager
Congrats, I just got mine yesterday and installed it before the UPS truck was off the block! so far happy with the results, I have mine set at 3 since I took out a 2nd mortgage and filled the tank with 93...OUCH!!!Couple of questions:
4-Is there a "break in" time, I mean does the truck have to get used to the new settings and will run cleaner/better?

Sorry if some of these are just plain goofy questions, I am very new to this....Thx
I think you can run on level 2 with the higher octane. level says 87 octane or better.
I= instant mpg
a= average
I sure there is somee amout of time for the pcm to learn the new progam
5 & 6 I can't answer because I'm not going to use the pod. going to make something custom.
7. don't lick just chew it. my son don't know he never made it there.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I think you can run on level 2 with the higher octane. level says 87 octane or better.
I= instant mpg
a= average
I sure there is somee amout of time for the pcm to learn the new progam
5 & 6 I can't answer because I'm not going to use the pod. going to make something custom.
7. don't lick just chew it. my son don't know he never made it there.
Thank you.. I must add my kudos to the dealer on eBay who I got this from dwill11 out of Gladewater Texas, picked it up for $360, shipped and was here as promised and very fast. When you do your custom thing, let me know, I have my GPS where the pod goes and I am not real happy with putting the GPS somewhere else. Also I would be interested in the splash screens you have.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I only have the one now but it looks like I maybe working memorial weekend and may have time to do more. I can send the one I have now to you this evening when I get home.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:18 PM
What program are you using or how are you making the images fit the screen?

Old 05-25-2006, 01:25 PM
all i have right now to use is the standard paint program. The key to it is they need to be 128 x 64 pix in size and black and white only. if it has gray it wont take it. So you have to convert it to b&w. I'm sure if you had a better program you could do it faster.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jager

Some of these have already been answered by redrascal, but I'll offer my $0.02:

1. Yes
2. Instantaneous/Instant
3. A = Average
4. I never really noticed a difference, but some people have. The answer is "Probably"--try a search for threads on "adaptive strategy"
5. The velcro works best at the ends of the pod (where the pod actually lays flat against the dash).
6. The 3M tape is used in lieu of the velcro if you want to permanently mount your pod. Not recommended unless you never plan to remove the pod from your dash.
7. a-One, a-two, a-three... three.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
SnowmaNick

I have been playing with changing the splash screen. I found a pic of a girl sitting on the ford logo. And got it to fit on the screen. I'm on the look out for more pics. If anyone wants the ones I come up with just let me know and I will send it to you.
Put me down as interested. I just don't have the necessary skills for that.

As for adaptive strategy, yes, it really exists. I thought this was a bnch of bs, like audiophiles talking about cable "break in periods" until I saw it in action. I was very pleased with the Edge when I got it. I have had it for 5 weeks now and it is even better. Not that it means anything but when I got it I wasn't able to chirp the tires, now I can lay 15 feet of rubber on the pavement and have to pay attention when launching.

Also, regarding the higher octane, yes, if you are running the higher octane gas you can run any of the programs, and as is states in the manual, you can advance timing by 1 for every 2 octane points.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by yamaha619
What is involved when installing one of these? On my Cummins I had to actually drill for the sensor probes of the transmission, boast, EGT, etc... Do the Fords already have all these sensors in place? Is it just a simple plug into a port and it starts working?
What you have on your diesel is the Edge with da Juice. My brother had his installed on his Cummings for about 2 years now....that setup is sweet! The difference between stock and his 5 programs (yes 5) is night & day.

For the gas engines, they plug into the ODBII port and get the readings from the PCM. Great product from what have seen.

And I own an XCal II

Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Could you send me the splash screens you made? I tried to PM you but it said not able to access that page.

Email is vince12_200mph@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Quick Reply: just got the edge evo