X-cal2 question.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Delta & Toddy ...

Well, think about it - if you have OD disengaged, you never see 4th, right?

So the 4->3 or 4-->2 delay never occurs. In that mode you will always be doing 3->2's. Hence no perceived 'lag'.

Tuning's still the best way to re-educate that tranny, though

Cheers
Bubba

Old 10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Toddyman,

It was good finally getting a chance to speak with you at length about this, and it's definitely just the normal 4-3 behavior - like you said, with the O/D disabled, this does not happen. It takes longer to get out of overdrive doing by throttle due to the way the 4-speed overdrive automatic works in general, rather than this being a "problem" or design flaw, it's just the normal behavior when traveling at those lower speeds.

Our tuning does improve this, but will not entirely eliminate it, that really can't be done - it's a matter (and this is just for everyone in general) of using overdrive when it's appropriate - and overdrive was introduced in the 1920's for the same basic reason that it's viable today - to be used once you have reached your cruising speed and the load is relatively stable, to reduce engine rpms and save gas - it's not something where the truck should be expected to stay locked up in Overdrive at low speeds going up grades, or when towing a load, or to expect it to just instantly react to throttle tip-in, etc. Overdrive is going to be a bit slower to come out of when doing this by the right foot than when downshifting out of other gears due to how the clutches work when in Overdrive, and to a lesser extent, some of the torque management. So we do improve this response time in general in our tuning, but do not entirely eliminate this perceived "issue" as it's just something inherent in 4-speed Overdrive automatics when Overdrive is used at lower speeds, that's all.

We had a chance to talk a bit at length about this & other issues, and congrats on getting your order in for the Group Buy, excellent!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Again!

Thanks again Mike for the hour of your day you dedicated to explaining this issue (and others) to me. Service like yours CAN NOT have a price put upon it. I want everyone in f150 online world to know that as well. I think most allready do but you went above and beyond to prove it and I for one appricate it. If only everyone "got-it" like you folks have when it comes to customer service. (Just so you all know I hadnt even purchased anything from him yet!) Like I told you Thursday, anyone can install the pipe, its the service with a smile that keeps em comming back! I look forward to explaining what you folks are all about when someone asks about the TP sticker on my truck!
Thank you sincerly.
Gordon

Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Question

another group buy?????????????????????????
when is it over???
man i dont want to miss it again

Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by moose3776
another group buy?????????????????????????
when is it over???
man i dont want to miss it again
Dude.........You got till the end of the month... Put the full blown, four alarm, missed the group buy emergency banners away for now! Thru the end of Oct. Check out the group buy section for details! Dont let it pass you by!
Gordon

Quick Reply: X-cal2 question.....