Edge problems,,,

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Edge problems,,,

Well, I've had my edge for about a month now. And I love the Level 3 setting, but. It has some problems when Im driving on the interstate, or driving about 50 or 60. It feels like the tranny doesnt know if it wants to stay in gear or not. Sometimes it will shudder a few times a sec. And Im worried that its gonna mess up my tranny.
Did, or does anyone else know what Im refering to, or have/had this problm? Im wondering if its just my truck it doesnt like, or do I need to update it or what. I have left it on level 3 for a 3 weeks now, in hopes of it fixing its self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM
does this usually happen when going up or down a hill with the cruise control on?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Mine does the exact same thing with the cruise control on. Not sure what the problem is.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by skeeters_20
Well, I've had my edge for about a month now. And I love the Level 3 setting, but. It has some problems when Im driving on the interstate, or driving about 50 or 60. It feels like the tranny doesnt know if it wants to stay in gear or not. Sometimes it will shudder a few times a sec. And Im worried that its gonna mess up my tranny.
Did, or does anyone else know what Im refering to, or have/had this problm? Im wondering if its just my truck it doesnt like, or do I need to update it or what. I have left it on level 3 for a 3 weeks now, in hopes of it fixing its self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suspect it is your torque converter trying to lock and unlock. I think there was a fix for that. You probably need to update if you haven't. I use my cruise on level 3 with no problem at all. I bought my unit back in July and updated it before installing. Have run it ever since with no problems.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 AM
It does it usually on flat roads in cruise or not in cruise. I was trying to figure it out again today. Thought maybe it was the engine misfiring or something. I dont know. I guess I wll hook it up to my computer first thing tomorrow and see if I need any updates,,,before I break something.
Thanks everybody. I know if I can get this fixed, then I will totally love this thing.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 AM
this is normal for a lot of fords to do this. especially under 5,000 miles the computer is trying learn your driving styles and program the tranny. so i suppose when using the edge the factory computer thinks it has to relearn your driving style and causes the transmission to do this. you may have to take it to the dealership and have them reflash if it continues.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by marwilli1
this is normal for a lot of fords to do this. especially under 5,000 miles the computer is trying learn your driving styles and program the tranny. so i suppose when using the edge the factory computer thinks it has to relearn your driving style and causes the transmission to do this. you may have to take it to the dealership and have them reflash if it continues.
If you take it to the dealership, be sure to return to stock before hand. You never know when they will mess with the computer and not tell you. Then your stock program in your Edge will not be the stock program in the truck and you will be screwed. I went in for an oil change and an inspection and they messed with the computer. Sure glad I had returned to stock for the inspection.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I suspect it is your torque converter trying to lock and unlock. I think there was a fix for that. You probably need to update if you haven't. I use my cruise on level 3 with no problem at all. I bought my unit back in July and updated it before installing. Have run it ever since with no problems.
Edge didn't fix the problem in the latest release. I tried mine out a few weeks ago and the shudder is still there. I haven't had time to tell edge but plan on trying to this week.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
Edge didn't fix the problem in the latest release. I tried mine out a few weeks ago and the shudder is still there. I haven't had time to tell edge but plan on trying to this week.
so what did you find out or did you get a fix? my 05 King Ranch does the same thing.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by pigsicle
so what did you find out or did you get a fix? my 05 King Ranch does the same thing.
I never got around to calling Edge yet. Work has been hellatious this week. Hopefully next week I'll be able to drop them a line. If you'll shoot me your info (model, year, edge version, edge calibration, hex code), I'll also tell them your truck is experiencing the same problem.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM
mine did this as well in level 3 i switched to level 2 and it is gone, it is the torque converter locking and unlocking i dont know y this happens but it is only in level 3 level 2 is fine. i think after this long however there should have been a fix for this already

Old 01-06-2007, 11:36 AM
i recently updated my edge only to find that it stll has the same shudder, just like every one else 50-60,with or with cruise. has anyone else noticed that if you put it in neutral and rev it it will go away. or if you just mash on the gas with it in gear it will also go away

Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Shudder is not g2g!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by TNoff
Shudder is not g2g!
g2g???

Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by towrig06
i recently updated my edge only to find that it stll has the same shudder, just like every one else 50-60,with or with cruise. has anyone else noticed that if you put it in neutral and rev it it will go away. or if you just mash on the gas with it in gear it will also go away
it only does it when your very lite on the throttle because the converter doesn't know if it wants to lock or unlock..

Quick Reply: Edge problems,,,