XcalII Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XcalII Question

I just got my new tunes last Friday from Mike at TP. I love them !!! My only questions is that shifting from 1st-2nd takes a long time like 2200-2500 rpms even at low throttle. Is this normal for tunning or can this be changed to shift at a lower rpm. I almost like it better when it shifts at a lower rpm like the stock tune.

Dont get me wrong though this is by far the best mod i have done for performance.

Last edited by ldahlberg; 12-19-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 PM
This will settle in as you drive it a while. The computer has to re learn things. Hang in there for a bit!

The 1-2 shift was one of the main reasons I got the TP tunes. On my 01 5.4, when I was driving gently (trying to save gas), it would up shift WAY too soon, the engine would bog and all acelleration would cease. Then I would press gently on the pedal, but nothing would happen until it shifted back down. By now the traffic had left me, people behind were honking, and I was very aggravated. And I think it used more gas this way! I was very happy with the 1-2 shift after the TP tunes.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I agree with Fordnatic's response, let it settle in.

You may also need to adjust your driving technique a bit, as the shift points are controlled by YOUR right foot - the more throttle you give it, the higher vehicle speed it will attain before upshifting. So if you don't like where it is shifting now, then simply lighten up on the throttle a bit!

I have tuned many thousands of these trucks, and it is not true that at the lightest possible throttle they don't shift until 2500 rpm or so - you have to be giving it some throttle to make it do that. What's really different is the fact that because we make some much more torque on part-throttle, the engine now has the power to gain rpms even on part-throttle significantly quicker - and that sometimes takes a bit of getting used to,and is perfectly normal.

The part-throttle shift points are determined by three primary things - how much throttle you give it, the vehicle speed, and how much load the engine is under - though it's mostly throttle position. There are shift schedules that are TP (throttle position) and vehicle speed based, that is primarily how that works.

Remember, we are adding significant power even on part-throttle to these vehicles, and so they are going to gain RPMs quicker than before at the same throttle position - just as Fordnatic said, the low speed part-throttle shift points in these trucks are FAR too low from the factory in many cases, especially in all of the 2004 & earlier trucks, and in most of the Job 1 2005's, too - they got better beginning with the Job 2 2005's, and in those & newer trucks they do not require changing except in a very few key areas.

The bottom line is, you now have far better driveability and a much more responsive truck, and once you relearn your driving technique a bit and let things settle in, it will be fine - there is nothing going on that shouldn't be, it's just different than what you are used to - but YOU control that by your right foot, remember - that is how all shift points on part-throttle are controlled, by how much throttle you give it - the more throttle you give it, the higher the vehicle speed will be before the transmission upshifts.

I hope that info helps, & have fun!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Yes, I agree with Fordnatic's response, let it settle in.

You may also need to adjust your driving technique a bit, as the shift points are controlled by YOUR right foot - the more throttle you give it, the higher vehicle speed it will attain before upshifting. So if you don't like where it is shifting now, then simply lighten up on the throttle a bit!

I have tuned many thousands of these trucks, and it is not true that at the lightest possible throttle they don't shift until 2500 rpm or so - you have to be giving it some throttle to make it do that. What's really different is the fact that because we make some much more torque on part-throttle, the engine now has the power to gain rpms even on part-throttle significantly quicker - and that sometimes takes a bit of getting used to,and is perfectly normal.

The part-throttle shift points are determined by three primary things - how much throttle you give it, the vehicle speed, and how much load the engine is under - though it's mostly throttle position. There are shift schedules that are TP (throttle position) and vehicle speed based, that is primarily how that works.

Remember, we are adding significant power even on part-throttle to these vehicles, and so they are going to gain RPMs quicker than before at the same throttle position - just as Fordnatic said, the low speed part-throttle shift points in these trucks are FAR too low from the factory in many cases, especially in all of the 2004 & earlier trucks, and in most of the Job 1 2005's, too - they got better beginning with the Job 2 2005's, and in those & newer trucks they do not require changing except in a very few key areas.

The bottom line is, you now have far better driveability and a much more responsive truck, and once you relearn your driving technique a bit and let things settle in, it will be fine - there is nothing going on that shouldn't be, it's just different than what you are used to - but YOU control that by your right foot, remember - that is how all shift points on part-throttle are controlled, by how much throttle you give it - the more throttle you give it, the higher the vehicle speed will be before the transmission upshifts.

I hope that info helps, & have fun!

Thanks for the posts!!! After the tune has settled in i see what you guys are talking about. I just wasnt used to the new tunes yet and was just being cautious.

THESE TUNES ROCK.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent, glad to hear you are enjoying them - this is the reason why people come to us, to get the best F-150 tuning available.

It's easy to order something off the shelf, we carry those products, too - but none of them work anywhere near as well, and most come back to us for our tuning anyway, so unless a vehicle owner is willing to settle for lean A/F's and much less power & performance, to say nothing of much less in the way of driveability improvements, they are better off coming to us the first time around.

Thanks very much, ldahlberg, for your faith in us - we greatly appreciate it!

Quick Reply: XcalII Question