New tune for a different converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New tune for a different converter?

Anyone know If I need a new tune for a slightly higher stall speed converter?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the side effects of a higher stall converter is dampening of the shifts.
you may have to install a different spring in your shift kit.as for redoing your tune....i would think yes... shift points might change just because of higher stall speed...not an expert..just trying to use common sense...

Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Talking

i would think yes it will need to be retuned. prolly timing where you will be launching and some tranny settingsd for it to be optimal.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Thats what i was thinking, thanks guys.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
built54 - What stall are you considering?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I like the PI, but I have been offered a Circle D 2400 stall for a pretty good deal... Id like a little input though, what do you guys think? I want something thats going to launch harder, and not slip as much.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... I'm running a P.I 3000 stall converter. It's a 9 inch. I have ballooned other company's SO CALLED bullitproof converters. If you can afford a P.I then get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Neal; 12-28-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 PM
with a 3000 stall, do you have to rev it to 3k just to move? or does that only work if you hold the brake? Does the rpm shoot to 3 when you nail it from a stop?// Im kinda confused as to how they work

Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stall speed is the point at which the tq no longer " slips" ( sort of like a clutch ) and then locks. I think the stock tq's are 1600 rpm stall. I don't know what a 3k stall would be like to drive for a daily driver though. Neal?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM
that what I was wondering... I would like just a strong *** converter that doesnt slip a lot, and lays the power right down.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Talking

i had a PI in a chevy truck that i owned for over two years with lots of 175 shot luanches on nos. they will need a lot of info and will set it up specifically for your application. you also get one free restall for 6 months i think. they will actually tell you to flash the converter. i would rev my engine only to 1000 rpm;s and then wot and she would launch at 3000 every time. as for a daily driver i think she would begine moving at around 1800 at light throttle. not bad at all. and they can set up the launch to be soft or real hard to. i to had the 9".

Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI Built 54,

First - there is only ONE converter to use in thee trucks, Precision Industries - period. There is no other converter we will even sell or install.

And no, it does NOT feel different in normal driving, you do not have to have 1800 rpms or even 1 more rpm to get the vehicle moving from a standstill, even at the lightest throttle. The way we have them custom made, the only time you feel a difference is when you nail the throttle, and then it gains rpms & velocity like never before.

PI has by far the best quality and the best warranty protection, and in all the years we have been selling & installing & using them in our own vehicles, we have never had a single failure at ANY power level.

They do not feel "loose" nor do they make the shifts any softer - any converter that does so has no business whatsoever being used in these trucks - or any other street-driven vehicle, as that is a thing of the past.

The PI unit that we have custom built has NO power limitations whatsoever, and caries a 2 year UNCONDITIONAL warranty, including racing use, and you get a free adjustment in stall speed (actually, it's "K factor" for those who actually know anything about torque converters).

It feels just like the stock converter until you nail the throttle - and then you will gain rpms & velocity like never before, like I said above - the rest of the time it is nice & tight, just like it should be, there is no fuel mileage penalty, and it has all the normal lockup characteristics.

No matter what kind of deal you are offered on any other unit, forget it - use PI and have peace of mind. We have worked with every "name brand" & almost all of the "boutique" specialty torque converter manufacturers, and only PI really understands what these trucks need - and these trucks put demands on TQ's that are far worse than a 700 HP Mustang race car, trust me.

And yes, there will be tuning changes needed, but not in the way of firming up the shifts - they won't get softer, if anything, they will actually firm up a bit from our PI converters. The are other tuning changes that are required to keep speed sensors in line and some other things, and as usual, we can email that to you.

The hot tip is to give us a call to go over this properly, so that you have a thorough understanding of what to look for in a TQ and why you want to go PI, and how we work our tuning & converter package for these trucks.

I hope that info helps, & just call us for details, as usual.

Thanks for your post Joey, & talk to you soon!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

Would it be worth installing one of these converters in the newer 04 and up F150s? Would it help eliminate some of the inherent dirve train loss? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
it would cut down a little, but a stock truck really doesnt need one, not sure what you ahve done.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi SLRFX4,

Yes, it certainly is.

It will cut down a little bit on the amount of driveline loss, that is true, but in my opinion, that *alone* is not the reason to buy it - the reason to do that is to make the truck accelerate quicker, especially at lower speeds it will launch it quicker & harder.

In other words, the PI converter allows the vehicle to accelerate much quicker at heavy throttle - that is what a higher K-factor (what some call a higher stall speed) torque converter is really all about - lowering driveline losses is just an added benefit, and that happens when the torque converter is locked up - and at full-throttle, that is from 2nd gear on, basically, as in 1st gear in most applications you want the torque multiplication more - whatever makes the vehicle accelerate quicker, in other words.

Now in terms of do you have to be significantly modified to make use of it, or for it to do you good and help performance? And the answer to that is no, of course not - it's really more a matter of what the primary use for the truck is, and what the driver prefers in each instance.

If you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below.

Quick Reply: New tune for a different converter?