How to tell if a truck has been programmed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if a truck has been programmed

I just got a 2004 FX4 5.4, and have noticed a slight shudder around 60-70 mph with very light acceleration. I spent a while searching around and it seems that the problem i'm haveing is connected to the edge programmer. I don't know much about the programmers and i'm new to fords, so if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

If the truck has been programed/has a programmer, can it be sent back to stock? if so how?

Also, if the truck is programmed on level 3, would the octane of fuel make the truck shudder?

Thanks.

Last edited by cannonballgsu; 01-16-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a different programmer than the edge but with all programmers you could tell if the vehicle is programmed when you step on the peddle basically the throttle response is alot better then without it. With all programmers you could always go back to the stock tune,you especially need to remove it when taking your truck to the dealer for service checks if they see that the program is different from the stock tune then they will reconfigure it back to stock and you would then have to call the distributor to reset the programmer. Just read the manuel it came with and it will explain the process of returning your vehicle to stock tune,and I know when running a programmer it is said to run them on Higher octain of gas such as 91 or 93 but as far as the different levels of edge I'm not certain of the octains for each level. Check the manuel. If I miss informed you in anyway I'll be corrected by someone I'm sure. Great guys here. Congrats and welcome to the site.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Is there some reason you think it has a tune in it other than the shudder? many have had a shudder that never had a tuner. Also, many have the Edge and have never had a shudder. To answer you question, I think you would have to hook up some scan tool to read what program is running your truck. Your dealer can do it. Or, an Edge unit could do it.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
This is my first Ford (with the exception of an 85 ford bronco II which was a piece of .....) And i'm not completely familiar with how they drive, but it seems a little more peppy than anything i have had in the past. Thanks for the welcome, it seems like a nice site here, already learned how to set up my sirius radio to the stock head unit

Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
I just got a 2004 FX4 5.4, and have noticed a slight shudder around 60-70 mph with very light acceleration. I spent a while searching around and it seems that the problem i'm haveing is connected to the edge programmer. I don't know much about the programmers and i'm new to fords, so if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

If the truck has been programed/has a programmer, can it be sent back to stock? if so how?

Also, if the truck is programmed on level 3, would the octane of fuel make the truck shudder?

Thanks.
What makes you think the problem is caused by the Edge? Where did you buy your truck? Odds are the truck hasn't been programmed. If it was, the previous owner would probably have told you, or tried to sell you the tuner.

- NCSU

Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Bought the truck from a dealer. so is there a bog in the truck around that area stock, or is there a problem somewhere?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Again, what makes you think there is an aftermarket tune?

How many miles on the truck? Could just need some regular maintenance... replace O2 sensors, spark plugs, all filters...

Nobody here can really answer your question without some real details. Even then it may be hard to say for sure...

If you got it from a dealer, take it back and have them fix it. Thats your best bet right now.

- NCSU

Old 01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
truck has 68,000 miles

it seems stronger than i would imagine a stock truck being (but that could be in my head), it has strong shifts, and a shudder i read about with other programmers. I was just asking the simple question of whether or not you could tell if the truck had a program in it or not.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had my EDGE Evo on an 04 SCAB and an 06 SCREW and never had any shudder or or any other problem with it at all. I've had it ever since they were first released for sale for the new body style F150.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
cannonballgsu: Are there any mods on the truck that you know about? I'm still leaning towards NOT programmed.

If you really need to know, ask the dealer. If they don't know, have them reflash the PCM and that will clear out any old program and replace it with the Ford Factory program.

Oh, by the way, a stock 04+ F150 will feel much more powerful than an 85 POS bronco!

- NCSU

Old 01-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Change the trans fluid, and see if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: How to tell if a truck has been programmed