Ampg

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ampg

Just got the edge and one of my settings displayed is AMPG. It is showing around 25 mpg. this would be a 12-13 mpg improvement after installing the edge. Obviously this is not accurate. Anyone else monitoring this parameter? Around 14mpg I was excited thinking I may have gained a couple of mpg improvement.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may need to update the EDGE Evo. EDGE tweaked the Average MPG function a couple of times after it was implemented.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Zero the average and start again.
Don't know how you would drive the ave up that high in normal driving.
30+ is as high as the instant will go on the readout.
I use my monitor often and after awhile, thinking about what you see is a bit deeper than at first thought.
The instant is just that, a reading based on very short sample intervals.
The average is a division over a time peroid of a segment of readings.
If the division results in a number greater than the average, it updates the average higher, if lower it subtracts.
The actual real mpg you get from a tank has to be figured from a fill up to a fill up and the total mileage driven that includes all the conditions such as time in lower gears other than OD, up hills, down hills, accelerations, coasting etc.
Using the instant reading to keep the foot lite on the accelerator will show on the gas gauge in time and when you fill up and check the miles driven.
Otherwise the (ave reading) becomes a running "instant average" if you will, and changes up or down as you drive over distances.
The instant reading is monitoring the fuel injection pulsewidth time intervals and possibly repetition rates because the OSS is involved with the sampling such that when the truck is not moveing you have no instant reading but the fuel is still being subtracted from the average and will drop it's value while sitting still long enough..
That pulsewidth is indirectly controlled by idle RPM, RPM the Mass Air meter flow rate reacts to, the IAC modulation at idle, the TPS, the OX sensors and other sensors that shift tables and control fuel.

I have a Trip Minder computer as OE my 90 Lincoln Mark VII and have the same ability to monitor in the same way.

I know it's more than you wanted to know but other prople might be interested in thinking about all this just for the fun of knowing a little more about it.
Good luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 AM
kfletcher,

I had the same high AMPG numbers when I first installed the Edge Evo in my truck. But after adjusting for correct gear ratio and tire circumference that all changed to a more reality check figure. But I have definitely added at least 2 mpg highway and 1 mpg city with the Edge Evo, Cat Back Exhaust and Volant CAI setup.

Check your speedometer and odometer readings then, "custom" tune to correct these parameters on whatever performance level you chose. IE: 1, 2, or 3.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Amgp

i will first check for updates then reinstall and look at the tire size. I assumed that would be okay since i havent changed the tire circumference. thanks for the replies.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Also keep in mind if you reset the ampg while you are driving it will through it off.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM
The average mpg feature of my evo is only accurate when driving steady. Prolonged idle periods cause an extremely low value, not indigative of actual mileage. But it did get a lot better after that last update. When I first got it, it was worthless.

Quick Reply: Ampg