Edge Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Install

Well I got my EDGE today took some picks of the install. It's sooooo easy. The only prob that I had was that the double sided tape on the pod didnt stick worth crap so i used the velcro strip in place of the tape Im loving the shifting from the edge and noticable power is on level 2. Im under a 1/4 tank now with the 87 octane and cant wait till its empty so I can put some 93 octane and test out the level 3. How much difference is level 3 from level 2?? Well heres the pics and I'm loving the edge so far

Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

Here's the velcro instead of the tape LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Level 2 gives you more low end responsiveness and tends to fade sooner at higher rpms, whereas Level 3 is not quite as strong on low end but strong through the middle and on top end. So, if I am running around town and commuting, I keep it on level 2, if I am going on a trip where I might need passing and higher speed responsiveness, I put it on level 3. That works for me, might be different for others. Have fun with it, one thing for sure, stock is dead after you play with it for a while.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Level 2 gives you more low end responsiveness and tends to fade sooner at higher rpms, whereas Level 3 is not quite as strong on low end but strong through the middle and on top end. So, if I am running around town and commuting, I keep it on level 2, if I am going on a trip where I might need passing and higher speed responsiveness, I put it on level 3. That works for me, might be different for others. Have fun with it, one thing for sure, stock is dead after you play with it for a while.
I just leave mine on level 3. It acts exactly the same as level 2 when you put 87 octane in it. Like jay said, you don't get the high reving power unless you put high octane in it.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
I just leave mine on level 3. It acts exactly the same as level 2 when you put 87 octane in it. Like jay said, you don't get the high reving power unless you put high octane in it.
You keep it on level 3 even when youre towing? I asked about this before I got my edge and everyone said that if I was going to be towing that I needed to put it to level 2 because if I didn't, and I quote what one person said, "my transmission will die an early death." Something about the shifting on level 2 as opposed to level 3 and the towing would put too much stress or something. Any truth to this?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by NHSP-06
and I quote what one person said, "my transmission will die an early death." Something about the shifting on level 2 as opposed to level 3 and the towing would put too much stress or something. Any truth to this?
No.

Whatever. I just know that mine got stuck on level 3 for weeks, during the beta test, and I HAD to use the truck. So I just took it easy. Now I don't even take it easy anymore. I've driven on level 3 for around 40,000 miles (I don't remember exactly) and I have probably run 3 tanks of high octane fuel through it. The rest were ~87 farmgas!

Yeah, they'll tell you not to do it, and it probably isn't good for it, but I already have almost 200,000 miles on my truck, and it's still doing fine. Point being, the pcm will adjust to 87 octane on level 3. It doesn't spark knock at all.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
You keep it on level 3 even when youre towing? I asked about this before I got my edge and everyone said that if I was going to be towing that I needed to put it to level 2 because if I didn't, and I quote what one person said, "my transmission will die an early death." Something about the shifting on level 2 as opposed to level 3 and the towing would put too much stress or something. Any truth to this?
Only time will tell what damage might transpire, but, I know I will follow Edges's manual and use the Level 2 for towing. That is where you will need the low end torque level 2 provides anyhow. It is too easy to change to not follow their directions. at least for me.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I know in the manual it says SPECIFICALLY not to tow on 3. Im gonna keep mine on 2 since I do a lot of city driving and it helps with low end. I finally drove around until my 87 octane ran out and DAMN the only customizing i did was to increase the WOT fuel to about 1.60. According to the edge my 0-60 on trans only was 8.2 and the level 3 it was 7.8. So its def. stronger and you can def. tell. The shifting in level is a lot stronger.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RYAN24
I know in the manual it says SPECIFICALLY not to tow on 3. Im gonna keep mine on 2 since I do a lot of city driving and it helps with low end. I finally drove around until my 87 octane ran out and DAMN the only customizing i did was to increase the WOT fuel to about 1.60. According to the edge my 0-60 on trans only was 8.2 and the level 3 it was 7.8. So its def. stronger and you can def. tell. The shifting in level is a lot stronger.
You didn't change shift points and shift pressure?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
I know in the manual it says SPECIFICALLY not to tow on 3.
Yeah, whatever. Nothing special happens when you're towing that doesn't happen when you're ridding up a hill, so I'm not buying it. But if I liked my truck more, I might take their recommendations seriously.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, whatever. Nothing special happens when you're towing that doesn't happen when you're ridding up a hill, so I'm not buying it. But if I liked my truck more, I might take their recommendations seriously.

Chester, that statement is absolutely false....Look, I don't want to argue with you and will NOT have a p!ss!ng match with you, but what you actually know is not what you think you do...Statements like this are proving it....
You complain that many here give you a bad rap because of some of your beleifs, so in the future if you don't want that to continue I suggest that you do a little more research before making statements like that...Driving up a hill and towing are two entirely different issues....

Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
You didn't change shift points and shift pressure?
Nope just the WOT fuel. I havent had time to mess with all the customizing settings. Im scared to mess with all that to much since I just bought this truck last year and its still under warranty. Im gonna do some more research before any other changes. Do you have any recomendations??

Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
I know how ya feel. When I turned 16 I dogged the hell out of my ranger b/c i didnt like it. But once I got my F-150 when I was 17 i treated her like a child LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Chester, that statement is absolutely false....Look, I don't want to argue with you and will NOT have a p!ss!ng match with you, but what you actually know is not what you think you do...Statements like this are proving it....
You complain that many here give you a bad rap because of some of your beleifs, so in the future if you don't want that to continue I suggest that you do a little more research before making statements like that...Driving up a hill and towing are two entirely different issues....
Whatever. God forbid my transmission shift hard when my $2,000lb boat is hooked behind it.

Do whatever you want Marc. I know that you must have some crazy way of explaining how towing something, and going up a hill are different to the trans. Maybe the reciever hitch sensors tell the computer when you have load on it.

Oh, and in case you can't tell I was being sarcastic the whole time, I outlined these comments for you.

Originally Posted by Me
Yeah, they'll tell you not to do it, and it probably isn't good for it, but I already have almost 200,000 miles on my truck, and it's still doing fine.
Originally Posted by Me
But if I liked my truck more, I might take their recommendations seriously.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
I know how ya feel. When I turned 16 I dogged the hell out of my ranger b/c i didnt like it. But once I got my F-150 when I was 17 i treated her like a child LOL
I know it. If I keep pampering this thing, it's gonna last FOREVER!!!!

Quick Reply: Edge Install