IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this isn't the first edge problem posted. It's one of many. We actually referred to it as ironic as the Windows O/S problems. Version 1.X....

It stinks, but isn't a real suprise. A simple search in the 04+ and this forum will show plenty of edge problems. Many include bad tuning to the display going out in cold weather.

Duke

Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Well this isn't the first edge problem posted. It's one of many. We actually referred to it as ironic as the Windows O/S problems. Version 1.X....

It stinks, but isn't a real suprise. A simple search in the 04+ and this forum will show plenty of edge problems. Many include bad tuning to the display going out in cold weather.

Duke
If you're having problems with it, and edge can't fix it, they will buy it back.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by chester8420
If you're having problems with it, and edge can't fix it, they will buy it back.
LOL!

They sure didn't buy back my EDGE. I was told that it was a company policy and was discouraged upon. They told me to return it from where i got it (online distributor). And on top of that they wouldld't even waive the 15% restocking fee.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
LOL!

They sure didn't buy back my EDGE. I was told that it was a company policy and was discouraged upon. They told me to return it from where i got it (online distributor). And on top of that they wouldld't even waive the 15% restocking fee.
Yeah I'm taking a side on the entire edge deal. But I've seen a lot better results on these forums from people who use custom tuning. The price doesn't end up being that different and the gains are much better (max safely possible).

Granted the edge has a lot of cool features as gauges, but they're not reliable in the cold. Besides I couldn't imagine having to worry about whether or not it was going to break down. Especially not dynoing the truck and data logging. I mean, how would you really know the changes made are not hurting spark, timing, A/F ratio and load. That's not even giving thought to long term fuel trims.

There is a lot of things these professional tuners look at to make sure everything is perfect or as close to perfect as possible.

Duke

Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, blah blah. It isn't rocket science. These engines are the toughest EVER BUILT. They'll handle purty much everything you throw at them. You might melt your cats with a REALLY bad tune, but whatever. I've seen people that put 300,000 miles on work trucks. The check engine light has been on since 60,000 miles and they never change the oil and never service anything. The only time you hear of people blowing engines is at high rpms, or if they let them run out of oil or run hot. If you drive sensable, you just about can't hurt them. Computers haven't been around forever you know! Your 1969 dodge charger's fuel mixture and timing probably weren't exact. And you still see a few of them rolling.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with F150 Duke, Glad I sold mine and when with custom tuning, This EDGE tuner has not had a good track record and don't look like it getting any better with time....

Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
This EDGE tuner has not had a good track record and don't look like it getting any better with time....
X2
Well said!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
*sigh* tuner wars

Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
I have to agree with F150 Duke, Glad I sold mine and when with custom tuning, This EDGE tuner has not had a good track record and don't look like it getting any better with time....
All i have ever seen are positive remarks about EDGE tuners??? Ya'll are saying that the Edge doesn't have a good track record but yet only probably 2% of all remarks about the EDGE are negative. What did the EDGE do to your truck?? Im not saying that the EDGE is perfect but the reason i chose it was b/c the problems were very minimal when I searched forums before I chose a tuner. I just acquired my EDGE last week so i'm curious to any problems with this device, my truck only has 20K miles on it so I dont want to do anything to hurt my engine esp. while under waranty.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Dang,
I live in Alaska so I better not buy one if cold weather affects these things. I was just in the market for one to.

Evan

Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by evantugby
Dang,
I live in Alaska so I better not buy one if cold weather affects these things. I was just in the market for one to.

Evan
I live in Wisconsin, it can get cold here (-14 as I type this). I think the issues with cold are the same as the ones with heat as the extreme temperatures mess with the display. I've had my Edge for over a year and have not had any of those issues..........but my satellite radio display (LCD) has screwed up on several days. To be fair.......my truck is always garaged and will only sit outside in the cold for any length of time when I am parked at work. I guess if I were worried about it, I would unplug the unit and put it in the house when it is realy cold. I wonder if the SCT LiveWire will have similar problems?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
I live in Wisconsin, it can get cold here (-14 as I type this). I think the issues with cold are the same as the ones with heat as the extreme temperatures mess with the display. I've had my Edge for over a year and have not had any of those issues..........but my satellite radio display (LCD) has screwed up on several days. To be fair.......my truck is always garaged and will only sit outside in the cold for any length of time when I am parked at work. I guess if I were worried about it, I would unplug the unit and put it in the house when it is realy cold. I wonder if the SCT LiveWire will have similar problems?
Hi.

Nah... it's heated

Don't think you can compare Sirius/Xm to an tuning device. One fails, no music, the other fails, no tunes (insert pun here), no workee truck.

Also concur on the guages - if you are relying on them, realize you can occasionally lose them due to the cold weather/LCD phenomenon. If guages are critical, then discrete pyhisical units are the ticket.

Ryan - you need to search more - Duke can run circles around even me on the search advice - there are more issues than you might think. (He's one smart dude - but don't tell him I said that, okay?)

I'll stick to my X2 - it's never failed me, on 2 trucks so far. Add the *best* tuning and, for me, it's all good. My guage pod is also working fine and it was -20c this mornin' !

Chester - LOL !

Relax fellas - I personally think in this case the Edge was not at fault. Remember, returning to stock clears the PCM. IMHO, of course, like, what do I know, anyways ?

Cheers Nature's beer fridge - my back deck !!!
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-06-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Suprflyfx4

Did you ever find out what the cause of your problem was??

Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by marwilli1
Suprflyfx4

Did you ever find out what the cause of your problem was??
It's been three days...surely you know what happened now. Tell us how the Edge ruined your truck

Oh and as far as people having problems with the Edge...a vast majority of them have been due to operator error. People freak out and try to fix a simple problem on their own or they don't think things out before they start pushing buttons.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
A few people have had problem with the Edge, and if I were having a problem, it would be serious to me. But, there are no telling how many are out there with no problems. Mine has worked perfectly from day one and i love the thing. All the hassle of data logging, dynoing, etc is just not for me. It may gain a few horsepower, but the extra the Edge provides is really all I need. It is mostly a matter of what fits your needs as to which is better.

Quick Reply: IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!