IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suprflyFx4
I call edge... they are dumbfounded. stating the obvious " edge dosnt do anything to your car/truck while its running" if there is a problem its going to be either during tuning or right after.. not 50 miles down the road.
Told ya!

Originally Posted by 2006harley
The Service Advisor thinks its the kicker amp. I think he is smoking crack.
How is the amp connected into the truck's wiring. Do you have a wire connected to the fuse panel for the amp's "power on" relay? If so, then he probably isn't smoking crack. You probably have a bad ground on your amp. People don't realize how easily you can damage your truck by tapping its existing wiring. You have to really know what you're doing....

Last edited by chester8420; 02-07-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 PM
yea that is true... but hey if its covered under warrenty they can believe anything they want right?

and YES NO POINTY SHOES ALLOWED!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by suprflyFx4
and YES NO POINTY SHOES ALLOWED!
Whatever. I'm not worried about it. People can buy either, or, or neither.

I had problems with my EDGE during the beta test period. It didn't leave my truck crippled though. I was ticked, but EDGE really worked with me on the issue. They've been slow as christmas on everything else though.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Glad you got the truck moving again. Had me scared for a second about my edge purchase and I didn't even install it yet!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chester8420
How is the amp connected into the truck's wiring. Do you have a wire connected to the fuse panel for the amp's "power on" relay? If so, then he probably isn't smoking crack. You probably have a bad ground on your amp. People don't realize how easily you can damage your truck by tapping its existing wiring. You have to really know what you're doing....
Hi Chester.

Sorry, not in this case, I don't think.

While what you said is generally true, the PCM was functional (as I understand the post), but the non-volatile memory was gone. Power problems usually don't do that - but a hiccup during a reflash can. Power problems are typically not selective - clearing NVM while leaving the rest of the unit ( O/S) intact and reprogrammable is contraindicative.

PCM has it's own power bus, it's own fuses, it's own grounds. Only a totally f'd up amp install by an idiot would have affected it at all and again it would not have been selectve.

Still think the dealer went out of his /her way to rectify this obvious user-initiated issue.

Cheers (Nature's beer fridge - my back deck!)
Bubba

Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi Chester.

Sorry, not in this case, I don't think.

While what you said is generally true, the PCM was functional (as I understand the post), but the non-volatile memory was gone. Power problems usually don't do that - but a hiccup during a reflash can. Power problems are typically not selective - clearing NVM while leaving the rest of the unit ( O/S) intact and reprogrammable is contraindicative.

PCM has it's own power bus, it's own fuses, it's own grounds. Only a totally f'd up amp install by an idiot would have affected it at all and again it would not have been selectve.

Still think the dealer went out of his /her way to rectify this obvious user-initiated issue.

Cheers (Nature's beer fridge - my back deck!)
Bubba
Well I wasn't excluding myself from the "not knowing what you're doing" category. I had an episode when I installed my siren. It worked fine for a long time, but I snatched my ground wire one day, and it wasn't crimped good. It caused my key warning chime to start dinging for no reason, and various other problems. I couldn't figure out what was going on! All because of a bad ground on an un-related piece of equipment.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
...but I snatched my ground wire one day ...
Hi.

Yeah, I just hate when that happens.

Snatches can be really nasty!

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Yeah, I just hate when that happens.

Snatches can be really nasty!

Cheers
Bubba
I wouldn't know anything about that........

Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Got It Back

Well I wasn't excluding myself from the "not knowing what you're doing" category. I had an episode when I installed my siren. It worked fine for a long time, but I snatched my ground wire one day, and it wasn't crimped good. It caused my key warning chime to start dinging for no reason, and various other problems. I couldn't figure out what was going on! All because of a bad ground on an un-related piece of equipment.

Finially got my baby back. The service advisor still didnt have a real answer for me. They sid that the disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and then were able to re-flash the PCM. He was thinking it was a slow or rappid voltage loss from the battery. But who knows. My other question for you EDGE junkies out there. Should I put it back on?? Also I would like to return back to LVL 2. Does anyone have any suggestions out there on what user mod that I can do. You help would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Finially got my baby back. The service advisor still didnt have a real answer for me. They sid that the disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and then were able to re-flash the PCM. He was thinking it was a slow or rappid voltage loss from the battery. But who knows. My other question for you EDGE junkies out there. Should I put it back on?? Also I would like to return back to LVL 2. Does anyone have any suggestions out there on what user mod that I can do. You help would be greatly appreciated
Take it to the dealership during business hours, and park near the service dept. Hook the edge back up and re-program it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then get your pcm re-flashed. (you're at the dealer already, remember?)

Old 02-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Take it to the dealership during business hours, and park near the service dept. Hook the edge back up and re-program it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then get your pcm re-flashed. (you're at the dealer already, remember?)

ok...Its up and running now..I had the edge refashed thism morning...God I love the power..going to have it put on the dyno next week. Found a place that will do it for me for 75.00 for 3 runs

Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
ok...Its up and running now..I had the edge refashed thism morning...God I love the power..going to have it put on the dyno next week. Found a place that will do it for me for 75.00 for 3 runs
Awesome. Make sure you post your results. Will they also do the A/F ratio?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Ok I have a few questions. I just bought the Edge. I installed it a few days ago. It was -20 at the time I installed it but inside the garage it was close to +2 this is all in the celius. All went fine with the install, [running mode #2] I had to change my tire size cause I have 35" tires on it. The next day I take it to work and it stays outside for 12+ hours in -15 degrees weather. When I start the truck there is no display, just red, but the program I installed still works fine, also it would not shut off when I got home so I unplugged it. What do I have to do when I plug it back in?? [ it's been unplugged for 2 days now]
question #2 I have a street pilot that I can check my speedo with, when I put in the proper tire size in the program from what the manual said my street pilot says that I'm going 7-10 klicks slower than what my dash speedo is saying. How can I set it right??
question#3 is there a way to set the Edge to work in Kilos other than just Miles??

MDGfan told me that I might have a problem installing it in the cold but I did it before I read his message.. Also I should mention that this truck is leased

Gerry

Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with the EDGE.

And out of respect for the moderator, I will not post my list of complaints I have on Word about other tuners and the problems associated with. I am pretty good at searching databases myself, and during my research about turners, I found out that all tuners have problems. Especially on vehicles that the manufactor keeps writing different code throughout the year. Research other websites, especially other make and models and you will find alot of problems.

When I read some of these post I assume the sales of XCal2's are down and someone is trying to help out a vendor.

I will suggest that anyone with any tuner, regardless of make; not to try to mess with the program unless it is during business hours. Most problems can be fixed over the phone.

(experienced first hand):o

Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
does anyone know how to reset the edge programmer? i stupidly made the mistake of changing my battery (to a optima) and not setting it back to stock so now it tells me i need to change the first truck back to stock. fyi the programmer has only been on my vehicle.

Quick Reply: IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!