IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story! UPDATED NOT EDGES FAULT!

OK, ive had my edge for about 2 months in my 06 F-150. Ive thought it was awesome! Key word of that sentence thought!

Last night at about 11:30 while driving 75 mph home on the interstate the truck just shut down. no warning or nothing all engine power was gone, including power steering. but most off all what was gone was HEAT . it was -1 out. I managed to get to the side of the road and tried to start. NOTHING in my little LCD display on the dash it said CHECK GAUGES well all the gauges (gas,temp,oil pressure and battery) where fine, also all the little warning lights were on.My edge kept going on and off and wouldnt let me return to stock or anything. I tried to retrieve trouble codes and it would freeze up and i would have to unplug it to turn it off. I also tried to unplug it and still nothing. Luckily we were only about 20 minutes from home and where able to call someone to pick us up. otherwise we would have been in bad shape with that weather. So we get a ride home meanwhile calling a tow truck. i have the truck towed home $130 bucks. and now im stuck with no truck till monday when i can call edge... stay tuned for details! (no pun intended!)
UPDATED!!

IT WAS AFTER ALL NOT >>>> I REPEAT<<<<<<<< NOT! edges fault..

so yes im eating my words.... i bow down and praise edge products
get this......

I call edge... they are dumbfounded. stating the obvious " edge dosnt do anything to your car/truck while its running" if there is a problem its going to be either during tuning or right after.. not 50 miles down the road. So we basically made the edge a "stock writer" which is to force the pcm to return to stock. well that didnt work either.. so i decide to tow it in.. well some friends come over to help me take it to the dealership cause for some reason the east coast gets priority over us in the midwest and sence my truck was at home and not in an emergency situation they wernt coming for 2-3 days (unless i pay for the tow myself and then send it to ford....) but thats a whole different thread. So anyways we are trying to move the truck and now we cant get it outta nuetral.. so we decide to look at fuses.. well while down by the fuse box I noticed a wire disconnected (well a group of wires to be technical) and low and behold i plug them in and bam everything is back to normal!! turns out (at least what im thinking) the wire probably wasnt all the way snapped in(and i work for GM building tahoes and suburbans and this happends more then you would like to know!) and my lovly wife with her in style pointy boots must of kicked it all the way out while going down the road. so yep it wasnt edge related at all!! now i gotta call edge and get my programmer back to where it needs to be so i can use it again!

Last edited by suprflyFx4; 02-06-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Sucks to hear about that man. BUT a.) you don't even know if the edge is what caused your problem yet. And b.) there are countless numbers of members and people out there running an edge in their vehicles with no problems at all. I know youre pissed off and blaming the edge, but just cause there is an isolated incident, it doesn't mean that the EDGE is not a good product. Best of luck to you and your truck though

Old 02-03-2007, 03:37 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271204

same thing happened to me,well kinda, but I got it back to stock, it was 15 out, check this link if I did it right

Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by beckerjs
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271204

same thing happened to me,well kinda, but I got it back to stock, it was 15 out, check this link if I did it right

so what was the outcome? and how did you get it back to stock..

Old 02-03-2007, 03:56 PM
after unplugging and plugging back in the edge it would show my hex file, then turn key on but do not start, and then to stock.

bring edge inside to warm

still waiting for replacement, but edge said it was messed up when I got the no start and my edge screen turned red, also my ABS light stayed on when it wouldn't start

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by NHSP-06
Sucks to hear about that man. BUT a.) you don't even know if the edge is what caused your problem yet. And b.) there are countless numbers of members and people out there running an edge in their vehicles with no problems at all. I know youre pissed off and blaming the edge, but just cause there is an isolated incident, it doesn't mean that the EDGE is not a good product. Best of luck to you and your truck though
your right im not sure if it was the edge but all signs point to it so far. and really im not pissed off yet. im just starting a tread to make people aware of what could happen... yes i realize there are many people without any problems and guess what chief... i was one of them till last night! and yes if it wasnt the edge ill edit my post and give Edge products my best regards. but imagine this.... What if (i know what ifs right) I were out deer hunting or whatever out in the boonies and this happened in -1 degree temps id be a ice sculpture. or even worse yet if i had small children in the car with me, think of it... or traveling down a curvy hilly road and lose all power, brakes steering...

so yea if it were the edge(which im about 98% sure) i wouldnt call a potentially FATAL product a GOOD product im not giving two sh*ts about my truck im talking life and death!....

Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't understand why your truck lost power unless you lost the battery and alt at the same time.

My truck ran fine but lost the edge display. I knew I was screwed when the edge didn't turn off when the truck was off

Old 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM
yea i lost all engine power. all the electrical stuff works fine. the engine totally shut down and wouldnt even crank over.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by suprflyFx4
your right im not sure if it was the edge but all signs point to it so far. and really im not pissed off yet. im just starting a tread to make people aware of what could happen... yes i realize there are many people without any problems and guess what chief... i was one of them till last night! and yes if it wasnt the edge ill edit my post and give Edge products my best regards. but imagine this.... What if (i know what ifs right) I were out deer hunting or whatever out in the boonies and this happened in -1 degree temps id be a ice sculpture. or even worse yet if i had small children in the car with me, think of it... or traveling down a curvy hilly road and lose all power, brakes steering...

so yea if it were the edge(which im about 98% sure) i wouldnt call a potentially FATAL product a GOOD product im not giving two sh*ts about my truck im talking life and death!....
I totally understand why you can be pissed I'm just saying ALL products have isolated incidents where sometimes the product may malfunction. I just stated that this is one of those ISOLATED incidents and simply one incident doesn't make it a bad product. A select few members on this board have had **** luck with their fords and ruined motors and other problems' do we call Fords **** products now? No, cause we know better and there are FAR more solid built trucks than ones that had problems. You are having a bad experience with the product therefore saying that it's bad and yada yada; but looking at the product as a whole, it isn't really. Once again, best of luck with the truck.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it's a hydrolock situation, ie injector issues which have been known to happen.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
could be but that dosnt explain the edge going on and off and not being able to return to stock.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by suprflyFx4
could be but that dosnt explain the edge going on and off and not being able to return to stock.
Man, that sucks. I bet edge will fix you up monday when you call them. Others have had issues with their edge evo's and edge has come to their rescue. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
ran out of gas?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Man, that sucks. I bet edge will fix you up monday when you call them. Others have had issues with their edge evo's and edge has come to their rescue. Good luck.
yea i hope they do!

lol @running outta gas!! i wish it were that simple!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
If your truck was running fine down the road, and then quit, then it probably has nothing to do with the edge. You can unplug the edge while riding down the road, and it doesn't affect the truck in the least! So it probably isn't your problem, and if returning it to stock fixed it, it was probably a coincidence. And if you have children and you're worried about your truck leaving you stranded in -5 weather, then you need to quit screwing with your truck's programming, and buy a cellphone.

Quick Reply: IF you have an edge or want one read this! horror story!