Can mike tune the 4.6V8 explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can mike tune the 4.6V8 explorer?

to make the story short, i'm no longer an F150 owner because i totaled my truck a week before coming back to school back in january.
i've been looking for another F150 but the search has resulted in dissapointment because i can't find a truck i love or one thats in the right price range.

now i've finally considered going down the ford lineup and decided for right now, i could live with owning a ford explorer. (only if it has a V8)

since the V8 engine is the 4.6 in the explorer, the same as my F150 - a 4.6, can i use the XcalII i ordered from mike for my truck and send it back to him to be tuned for an explorer? i wouldn't send it to him until i upgraded all normal aspects of the vehicle if i were to buy it. i would like to do the ignition upgrade for the explorer that mike offers (if it would apply to the engine) and also find out if an exhaust would help any in performance. But generally, could mike tune that engine for an explorer?

thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!
John
p.s has anybody had or know somebody who has an 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with the V8? are they a pretty solid vehicle or do big problems arise over time. i'm not worried about maintenance, but like transmission or 4wd problems. i was considering a jeep grand cherokee at one point, but alot of friends and neighbors i talked to advised me they can be money pits, so i decided against the jeep. if you have any comments on the explorer, can you also let me know what you think? thanks again, John

Old 02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

Yup. Search... there are posts that discuss this.

Here's one:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=explorer

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-09-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
My mom has a 2004 xlt sport Explorer (auto 4x4) with the 4.6.

She has had 1 issue with it, which was the guage cluster and it was replaced under warranty. The engine & trans in it is VERY nice. The 4.6 is really peppy, and the trans fluid dosent have to be flushed/serviced until 75 or 100K (cant remeber for sure). She has roughly 40K on it so far.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM
ah jeeze i knew i should have searched before i posted a question. sorry about that, but thanks a ton MGDfan! thats awsome news to read!

05HarleySD4x4 - i'm glad to hear the your news about the explorer, i'm hoping to go test drive the one i'm looking at tomarrow after work.

thanks for your help guys!

John

Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Delta

I've got an 03 Explorer 4.6, awd, 3.73 ls gears with Mike's tuning (xcal2). There is only one intake made for it (k&n). Catback exhaust is available. Engine uses 6 rib pulleys, so underdrive pulleys will fit. Radiator is shaped different than 150. I'm in the process of fitting and installing electric fans. Controllers will likely be going on the passenger side even though battery is on driver's side.

Tranny is 5r55. I have installed an active tranny cooler, which really the only spot it would fit was behind the driver's side fog light. I would take issue with some advice and under no conditions would I be comfortable with full tranny flush intervals of 75 to 100 thousand miles. Ford says 150,000 miles for changing tranny filter--not in my car -- 30 thousand miles, every time.

I tow a 5,000 lb boat with it in the summer and with mods I have it does fine. I run 93 oct max program all the time except in summer when I run 93 oct tow program.

It's a quick ride. Tranny shifts nicely. Torque converter seems decent. I would recommend that active tranny cooler. Mine runs here even some in 10 to 20 degree temps, so figure what it does in 95 degree summer heat.

I would not get the 4.0, but I need a v8 engine or I can't sleep at night.

Good luck,

enb

Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Delta17,

Yes, we can tune that Explorer for you, no problem.

And sorry to hear about your crashed F-150, ouch!

I hope everyone was OK & nobody was hurt?!?

Oh, PS - just make sure you use your tuner to return that F-150 back to stock, otherwise it will be VIN-locked and it costs $$ to unlock them - now if you can show an accident report or any documentation that it was totaled, then we can get it unlocked free, as those things do happen sometime - just trying to get you all the (potentially?) relevant info you may need, & call us with any questions, OK?

Quick Reply: Can mike tune the 4.6V8 explorer?