Help finding diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding diagnostic tool

I don't know if this is the correct area for this post, but here goes. I'm wanting some small type of monitoring device to keep an eye on engine/tranny, etc.. I've looked at the ad for the dash hawk, and this is kind of what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to change the tuning of my truck, just monitoring basically. Do they make such a thing that is relatively inexpensive and almost a "plug and Play" type of install?

Just thought it would be nice to keep an eye on things as I'm driving.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks! That's the idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone else has more sources, keep them coming, as I want to compare before I buy. I appreciate the help.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:23 PM
nice unit but not for OBD1 trucks.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
You could just run whatever gauges you were looking for, and monitor whatever you need. I would trust autometer gauges before I would ever trust a scangauge, that being said what are you looking to monitor?

Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by ParkM
You could just run whatever gauges you were looking for, and monitor whatever you need. I would trust autometer gauges before I would ever trust a scangauge, that being said what are you looking to monitor?
I would really like to keep an eye on temps of tranny/oil, etc. The DashHawk says that it will do this, but the scangauge does not. However, the Scangauge is much cheaper and says that it will monitor coolant temp. From what I've read, both will help with any error codes, etc.

I've seen a mounting kit for the scangauge that cleanly mounts it directly above the rearview mirror, where the dashhawk would need to be mounted (for easy viewing) on the dash as the name implies.

I guess at this point, I'm leaning toward the Dashhawk for what it does. Just wish it was a little cheaper. But I guess you gotta pay for the extras, right?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I have the older Scan Gauge and it has worked good for me.I didn't think about reading the tranny temp when I got it.I've used it on other vels to read codes and reset the check eng light.I payed about $125 for it and now they are $169 and do more.The temp reading I saw a change running a K&N and stock filter,the K&N ran cooler. The other readings tell you alot too,for your gauges don't tell you that much in numbers like the Scan Gauge does.The $300 is high but if it does what you want it to do get it.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
trust a scangauge?

Originally Posted by ParkM
trust a scsngauge?- it merely reads what the pcm sees- you obviously trust the info that the pcm gets-i know on the 97-03's you can get this info by holding in trip reset for 2 seconds? while staring vehicle-phil

Quick Reply: Help finding diagnostic tool